Buyer Asking What Is Best Offer Amount

I have someone asking what is the "best offer" amount that I have for an item. Not sure if I should tell them or not - does it not defeat the purpose?

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The art of negotiation is to get the other person to go first. To offer up a number, they would then go below that. I would reply with my current price OBO.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Generally if I have an item that allows BOs, I expect to get about 80%. If someone asks, normally I tell them 10% off.

I have had buyers in days gone by that would ONLY buy something they had haggled for. At one point I was creating special lots just for that buyer, with slightly inflated prices with BO so that everyone was happy in the end...
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your input guys 🙂

This particular item has the "Make Offer" button in the listing so I thought it odd that the person would make 2 offers then email me to ask what is the "best offer" price I have listed for the item.

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If the buyer comes in with an offer below 80% I advise that the 80% number is the lowest I can go.

PS if the buyer comes in with a stupid offer like $50 against a $1,000 item I do not even respond.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:

Thanks for your input guys 🙂

This particular item has the "Make Offer" button in the listing so I thought it odd that the person would make 2 offers then email me to ask what is the "best offer" price I have listed for the item.

Thanks!!

They are only allowed to make 3 offers, if you declined the first two they want to know what your bottom line price will be so they don't waste their last shot.

If the listing has Best Offer on it then I assume you actually want to make a sale AND you already have in your mind the bottom line minimum you will take.

Unless you are just engaging in games.....TELL THE BUYER HOW MUCH YOU WANT!!!!!!

You can make up to 3 Best Offers for most items. Expired offers, declined offers, and retracted offers all count towards the limit of 3 Best Offers.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/best-offer.html#fine

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

" TELL THE BUYER HOW MUCH YOU WANT!!!!!! "

No need to shout at me - I'm only asking opinions 😞

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Did not know that there was a limit on offers.  This is my first time trying the "best offer" option.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply