Buyer bought item again after I filed non payment report

worrly
Community Member

I sold an BIN item to someone in Belgium and they did not pay right away. Sent an invoice after a few days. Then several more invoices until I finally had to file a nonpayment claim. All this time the buyer never contacted me for followup.

Then she has the nerve to buy my relisted item again. And ask for a shipping invoice! No apology at all. I don't want to sell to her in case this turns into a nightmare transaction. She does have good feedback but I'm just annoyed at the whole situation. 

It's only $15 for the BB cream makeup I'm selling but it's rare discontinued. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, then yer stuck like chuck. Put them on your BBL, send the invoice, wait four days, do the UID, close ASAP.
Photobucket

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Why didn't you block this person?
Photobucket
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I thought about doing it but didn't think they would have the gall to repurchase the item again. I know better now.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Well, then yer stuck like chuck. Put them on your BBL, send the invoice, wait four days, do the UID, close ASAP.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Even blocking them can only do so much, I've had folks send an email asking if I've blocked them (I had) and 5 minutes later they've bought something with their brand new (0) feedback ID.....
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Well I sent her an invoice for her to pay within one business day. And definitely block her and any buyers with zero feedback if this repeats again. An apology would have made things somewhat better. 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

You can't block zero fb members

You can block members without Paypal accounts.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

If it is any consolation, in my case the 2nd purchase went off without a hitch... I didn't bother to block it as what good would it do anyway....perhaps your buyer got the message.....
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Unbelivably, she also bought the other one I had listed. I don't know why she didn't buy both at the same time, I had them listed as more than one available. And then she asked for an invoice again. 

Not sure if stupid is striking a lot of people this week. Sigh. So, waiting for her "payment" again. I'm prepared to block her this time if she wastes my time again. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Before I ban her for non payment again, I checked my ebay messages sent box and there is no record of my last invoice I sent her but I received all the emails for all the invoices I sent her in my own email. 

I shall send the invoice again but has anyone else had a problem like this?

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I'm just wondering if she isn't receiving all the ebay messages for some reason and she's not totally trolling me.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

When I send invoices by using the "Send Invoice" function, I don't receive a copy in my eBay Messages, only in my linked email account.  Is this how you sent the invoice?  Or did you write the invoice within eBay Messages?

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I sent the message via send invoice function. I guess I thought there would be a copy in my sent box. I see now the other copies were when I responded to a question.

I sent the invoice copy I got to her via her email. So I can sort of most be assured that she got my messages somehow this time. The saga continues.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I have totally learned my lesson to block people who waste my time the first time around. So the latest development is that she didn't mean to buy two of my items and wants to pay only for one. Keeping in mind her feedback shows she pays on time and is positive but somehow she is unable to do that for me.

I can file non payment claim now or just totally cancel both transactions and block her and not bother to even message her about it. 

She has not apologized for being so inconsiderate for wasting my time. I'm trying to be tolerant because there maybe a language barrier.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@worrly wrote:

She has not apologized for being so inconsiderate for wasting my time. I'm trying to be tolerant because there maybe a language barrier.

This might be the problem, or it might be an eBay messaging issue. 

On two occasions over the past few months I've been involved in transactions where, for some reason, I was completely cut off (unbeknownst to me!).  Apparently nothing was getting through eBay messages to the other party, so for them it was as if I were completely silent.  Fortunately, the first one realized there was a problem and telephoned me.  The second time it happened to me, I phoned the buyer when it became clear I was getting no responses at all.  Sure enough, my messages hadn't been reaching them.  We then communicated via our own email accounts only. 

On the other hand, some people behave badly on eBay, and deserve blocks and UIDs against them.  It makes no sense that she'd come back again, buy two, then ask to pay for only one -- did she give you any explanation?  If you've given her a reasonable time to pay, and you just want to move on, you can initiate a UID on both items after 4 days. 

Be cautious with cancellations -- remember that the buyer can accept or reject.  If you send a cancellation on both items, she could reject the request on the item she really wants, and then you may find yourself unable to initiate a UID afterwards.  Also, cancellations can be tricky when you're dealing with a possible language barrier.  And of course, buyers can leave Feedback/DSRs for cancelled transactions, which means cancellations are really only advisable when it's a truly mutual, friendly agreement. 

It sounds to me as if more communication might be in order before you make a decision.  If you prefer, before launching UIDs and blocking her, message her directly to her email address (from your personal email, not through eBay), and tell her you'll send a cancellation on the unwanted item as soon as she completes payment on the one she wants.  See if that gets any response, and decide from there whether she's just confused and ditzy, or deliberately trying to be a nuisance for you (which I somehow doubt).  If she were in the US or Canada, I'd say telephone her directly, but not to Belgium.  Good luck with this, let us know how it turns out.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

For sure she got my last message because I forwarded the invoice email to her email and she responded she only wanted to buy one of them. She says she didn't mean to buy two of them but she finally tells me that after about four days. The invoices emails are translated into French and hopefully they make sense. I kept the language simple for that reason. I accidentally sent her an incorrect invoice with the total being double what it should but sent a corrected one after wards. That also confused her if she didn't see the corrected one. I have no way of knowing if anyone my messages got to her but I had about fours sales in the past week and no problems at all. 

She first purchased my item on Mar. 11 (and rebought it on Mar 25) but Belgium was not on the country list so I had to input the shipping. She bought first and then asked for shipping asking for a good price on it. Then I had to send about four invoices but no response until I filed a UID and then she bought it again. 

So I should cancel the one, wait for her to possibly pay for the other one (it's at the point where I can file UID) and just file and block her?  

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

This buyer is simply too stupid to deal with again. I canceled her first purchase which confused her somehow as I did not want to invoice for the second item until she accepted it.

She complained that my communication was poor to begin with! OMG! She said it was the time difference! What difference does it make as long as it's not days to weeks of her not paying me.

She has received the invoices but said I have not told her how to pay. OMG!

Update: She finally figured out how to pay me after I told her to click the yellow button on the right hand corner.

I'm so angry right now.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck in sending to Belgium.  My past experiences with any buyers in Beligum (three times claimed they never received them!).  Hope it will not happen for you.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Oh, I so didn't need to hear that after she finally paid!

Did you send Small Packet? I have this rationalization that Light Packet is more likely to get there than Small Packet due to different sorting stream.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@worrly wrote:

Oh, I so didn't need to hear that after she finally paid!

Did you send Small Packet? I have this rationalization that Light Packet is more likely to get there than Small Packet due to different sorting stream.

What kind of items are you sending her, and what is their value?  You may be right about Light Packet -- I've found these get to Europe very quickly.  I personally have never had a problem with Belgium. 

If the item isn't worth sending with tracking/insurance, you'll just have to take your chances.   If the item is of mid-range value (say, $50-100) and lightweight, check the Tracked Packet rates to see if that service would be workable (you do get a small discount if you use Paypal labelling).  You might want to only charge her for Light Packet, but actually pay for Tracked Packet if you're really concerned about non-delivery or bad DSRs from this buyer. 

You know, your buyer may not be stupid, but just uninitiated in the ways of buying internationally on eBay.  Her comment about time zones, all the confusion over invoices and not understanding how to pay tell me that she is a mixed up newbie and not trying to deliberately rip you off. 

Remember, you are in Vancouver and she's a half-day ahead of you.  That can make communication very awkward.  You may send a message during your business hours, but it may already be the middle of the night in Europe at that point, and it might be the following evening before your buyer can get home from work and check her messages.  That's quite common, and quite reasonable.

When I lived in Victoria, with my European buyers I allowed 48 hours for any one message to be received, and another 48 for a reply, so 4 days for one "round trip" message.  If you've had a couple of rounds of emails from Vancouver to Belgium, it's not unusual to take a week or more to get to the point of payment.

So, that being said, now that your buyer has in fact paid (and has already hinted at a complaint about communications), I'd say your main strategy should be to avoid any further issues, and turn your frustrated buyer into a happy buyer.  If your DSRs are important to you, I'd do the following:

1)  Contact her again by email, and keep it very friendly and very professional.  If you're certain that eBay messaging is getting through to her, stick to that system.  Don't let your anger seep into the messages.  Thank her for her payment(s), apologize sincerely for the confusion, and let her know the date you send her parcel, and the date she can expect to receive it (add 7 days to the Canada Post estimate, at least).  I tell my European buyers to expect 3 weeks, including customs processing by their own country.  Usually it takes about 6 to 8 business days, but I never say so -- I prefer to let them be pleasantly surprised.

2)  In your email, ask her to contact you should the parcel not arrive in 4 weeks -- actually, provide an exact date, for example April 30th.  Be prepared to refund in the event of an INR claim. 

3)  When you send the parcel, tuck in a little personal note of thanks and apology for the confusion.  Print the note from your computer if you like, but sign it with your own first name, in pen.  If you really want to try and smooth things over with this buyer, prepare your note in English and use Google's online translation to convert it to (more or less intelligible) French.  Then print out the bilingual note and sign it. (You can also provide a translation of the email in #1) above, to really cover things off).

4)  Remember to allow 3 to 4 days for any round-trip email message/reply. 

4)  Once you get past about 6 weeks, if you haven't received any FB/DSRs, you can rest easy and probably assume she received her parcel.  If she slams you in her FB/DSRs, you can't do much about it, but you can leave factual, calm responses to the FB.

You can also decide to block her once you're far enough out from the transaction.  I'd be careful about blocking while the buyer may still be able to leave FB/DSRs.  Also, if you have your preferences set to prevent blocked buyers from messaging you, that could enrage an already slightly upset and confused buyer.  I'd wait until the transaction is completely closed. 

Message 20 of 27
latest reply