Buyer did not read shipping

At the end of my auction my buyer said he did not read that i do not ship  internationally what do i do next?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Buyer did not read shipping

Count yourself in for a defect.

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Is there for the phone and where is your buyer from? If they are the U.S. I would probably figure out a shipping price and send them an invoice but I probably wouldn't send a phone anywhere else.

You can let the buyer know that you are not comfortable shipping overseas and that ebay will be sending him a cancellation notice. You have to open the cancellation yourself and select buyer in country I don't ship to. Ebay will ask the buyer if they agree and if they do, you receive your final value fees back. If he disagrees then you will have to phone ebay, explain what happened and they should credit your fees. However, that isn't a sure thing. You can open a mutual cancellation right away.

If the buyer does not reply to the cancellation, you can close it in 7 days to get your fees back.

The buyer can't pay until you send them an invoice with a shipping price so you could also open an unpaid item claim after 4 days but I would probably do the mutual cancellation.

You should set your blocks so that bidders who do not have a Canadian address cannot bid at all. You can do that in your  account under buyer preferences. If I were you (and your phones work in the U.S.)  I would also open my listings to the U.S. as you might end up getting even more buyers.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@worldwandering wrote:

Count yourself in for a defect.

Technically, they shouldn't receive a defect because the buyer was an unwelcome bidder. The seller isn't refusing the sale because they ran out of stock.

OP...when you run auctions you should keep an eye on who is bidding so that if someone that you do not want to sell to bids on your item, you can cancel the bid.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Go to resolution Center and cancel the sale and select buyer bought by mistake etc...

Then you relist your item...

Also, I forgot how to do it exactly, but you should be able to give a second chance to the next bidder...

There is an option to prevent buyers from countries that you do not ship to from bidding ot buying.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If you are willing to ship to the country, and your actual problem is that the buyer thinks that he will get the Canadian shipping rate, you can re-invoice him with the correct cost for shipping Air Mail and Tracked.

Don't ever ship overseas by Surface.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is to eBay, that is UNFAIR!  eBay shouldn't have to work so hard in developing this insane inhumane policy of defect in the first place, period!!  eBay should remove it, no questions!!

eBay has way too many conspiracy in hurting sellers with too many insane policies, time for eBay stop it and appreicate sellers.  We as sellers are the ones that bring millions (more likely billions) of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to eBay and yet eBay continues to hurt us with more insane policies like defect???!!  That is so stupid!!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Did you have that country excluded from your ship to locations? If not then the blame is on you.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If you really don't want to ship it to the buyer who won, I agree with the others who have recommended cancelling the transaction.  Just remember that when you're prompted to choose a reason for the cancellation, select "Buyer purchased item by mistake or changed mind".  This is the option that is least likely to result in a defect for you. 

As a precaution, I would send a (very friendly) note to the buyer in advance of processing the cancellation to let him know what will be happening (i.e. that the cancellation request will come from eBay, not from you directly), explain that you unfortunately can't ship outside Canada, and that once he accepts the cancellation, there will be no obligation on his part to pay and no impact on his eBay record.  You might also mention that eBay uses the word "dispute" in the subject line of their cancellation message, but it is not a dispute once the cancellation is accepted.  (I really wish eBay would remove that word from cancellation messages).   

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I've tried, without paying attention, to buy things from people who dont' ship to Canada.  The system won't let me do so if my country is excluded.  The seller, like you honeybed? who doesn't block has to deal with the consequences.  Because, if you didn't want to send to that country, you could have blocked those buyers.  It can be complicated, shipping internationally, heck, even nationally.  eBay has improved for so many things over the years.  You never used to be able to block a seller from ANY country at all...

Message 10 of 10
latest reply