Buyer requesting to return item, marks on it weren't there when I shipped

I had a US buyer who puchased a collectable trading card. They are requesting to return the item saying that there are defects on it (very faint marks) and that were not listed in the auction.  I checked the item before shipping there were not marks, and went and checked my auction photos vs. the photos the buyer sent in his/her claim and the marks were not on it. The item was well protected and the buyer said there is no damage on package. I don't accept returns but ebay is saying I have to because the item isn't as described. What if the buyer is trying to return an item that's not mine and fob a lesser condition card off on me? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You don't have to accept returns.

You DO have to give refunds.

If there is no damage to the package, accept the return*, send a Return Shipping Label**, get it back, refund, relist.

Not every transaction will go perfectly.

What if the buyer is trying to return an item that's not mine

Then you appeal the dispute.

If you refuse the refund, you will

• lose the card,
  • eBay will take the refund from your account,
  • you will not get your FVF back,
  • and you will get a Defect which can severely affect your future selling.

And the unhappy buyer can leave feedback.

*Ask that the original packaging be returned as well

** you can buy a USPS shipping label through Shippo, even if you did not ship through them originally.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

What @femmefan1946 said.

There's no point in getting into a urination match in a situation like this.  You're not going to come off well.  It's one of the hazards of the job.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Can I use Shippo even though I am in Canada? I imagine it is going to cost me $15-20 USD to ship a $35 USD item back to me :(. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply