Buyer's address is local but lives internationally

Hi guys!

I just had a quick question as I'd like to know all the info I can before anything possibly happens. I had a buyer purchase an item for $600, paid right away and the address on Paypal is in the same province as me. Tracking info was uploaded and insurance bought. Tracking shows the parcel had an attempted delivery and was redirected to his new address.  It' s been at his local Post Office for 5 days so I had messaged him to let him know it was ready for pick up.

He messaged back right away and said it was a company that sends his parcels overseas to his home country. He messaged again right away saying it's weird that it's at the Post Office and the company should have delivered it right to his address (which tracking shows they attempted).

I'm not overly concerned as of yet as the buyer is replying promptly but I'm just curious if anyone else had run into this kind of situation where the buyer has items shipped to his home country? I think I should be fairly safe but am wondering what could possibly happen if delivery doesn't go smoothly? If his shipping company loses the parcel, am I liable at all?  Or if for some reason he seeks a return, will I be responsible for shipping costs from his home country? Just trying to plan ahead just in case!!

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For folks using forwarding companies, you are only accountable for getting the item to the forwarding company. Since you have tracking you are in good shape. (I ship to forwarding companies all the time).

Tracking won't show the forwarding to the forwarded country, it might be an address change of the forwarding company itself, or just one of the endless misleading PO updates that happen if it goes to the wrong place/office first.

I don't know what happens if they choose to return it, I've not encountered that before there are likely others who can answer that part (I don't think you are accountable for that but I'm not totally sure).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

For folks using forwarding companies, you are only accountable for getting the item to the forwarding company. Since you have tracking you are in good shape. (I ship to forwarding companies all the time).

Tracking won't show the forwarding to the forwarded country, it might be an address change of the forwarding company itself, or just one of the endless misleading PO updates that happen if it goes to the wrong place/office first.

I don't know what happens if they choose to return it, I've not encountered that before there are likely others who can answer that part (I don't think you are accountable for that but I'm not totally sure).

Message 2 of 2
latest reply