CP Expedited Lite - $26.86... WHAT!?

I typically charge a flat rate for Expedited Lite - since it's usually around $8 to most provinces and around $10 to NL.

Only today, the Expedited lite rate that came up for NL was $26.86... that's a $16.85 surcharge in top of what I normally pay to remote addresses. Did they increase the surcharges for remote addresses recently? The rep I talked to couldn't answer that, he could only confirm that was the correct shipping charge.

Of course, my profit is less than that, so I'll have to purchase an Extra Small flat rate box to avoid the loss.

Anyone else ever have an Expedited Lite label this expensive?
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@teenytrinkets wrote:
I typically charge a flat rate for Expedited Lite - since it's usually around $8 to most provinces and around $10 to NL.

Only today, the Expedited lite rate that came up for NL was $26.86... that's a $16.85 surcharge in top of what I normally pay to remote addresses. Did they increase the surcharges for remote addresses recently? The rep I talked to couldn't answer that, he could only confirm that was the correct shipping charge.

Of course, my profit is less than that, so I'll have to purchase an Extra Small flat rate box to avoid the loss.

@teenytrinkets 

devon@ebay 

By chance was this to an air stage office? List attached. There does seem to be exceptions. (Nunavut/air stage offices, etal) with expedited lite. Also if the package is on bulky side and jumps up above 200 grams. 

Link for air stage offices.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/air-stage-offices/overview.page

eBay Calculator tool with discount option.

https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator

-Lotz

PS. Recent observation using Expedited Lite. If parcel happens to go over the 200 gram limit the eBay default for some wacky reason is UPS. You will receive a note to agree to their (UPS) terms. Unfortunately when they arranged ebay labels they did it by speed vs courier.

PS2. In some cases you may be better off to use the small 16.99/19.99 prepaid boxs or CP's snap ship discounted rate for 250 gram. Unsure if you will run into the same issue with the postal code.

To be on the safe side I am choosing to use calculated shipping to offer expedited lite to avoid these situations which crop up from time to time. (Discount turned on in settings.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@teenytrinkets wrote:

@teenytrinkets 

devon@ebay 

By chance was this to an air stage office? List attached. There does seem to be exceptions. (Nunavut/air stage offices, etal) with expedited lite. Also if the package is on bulky side and jumps up above 200 grams. 

Link for air stage offices.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/air-stage-offices/overview.page

eBay Calculator tool with discount option.

https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator

-Lotz

PS. Recent observation using Expedited Lite. If parcel happens to go over the 200 gram limit the eBay default for some wacky reason is UPS. You will receive a note to agree to their (UPS) terms. Unfortunately when they arranged ebay labels they did it by speed vs courier.

PS2. In some cases you may be better off to use the small 16.99/19.99 prepaid boxs or CP's snap ship discounted rate for 250 gram. Unsure if you will run into the same issue with the postal code.

To be on the safe side I am choosing to use calculated shipping to offer expedited lite to avoid these situations which crop up from time to time. (Discount turned on in settings.)

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Yep, it's an Air Stage office. Thanks for the info Lotz! I've got an extra small flat rate box ready to go!

I think I'll still use a flat rate with a note that Air Stage/ remote addresses will pay a $10 surcharge (since that's still cheaper than the Expedited Lite rate!).
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
Yep, it's an Air Stage office. Thanks for the info Lotz! I've got an extra small flat rate box ready to go!

I think I'll still use a flat rate with a note that Air Stage/ remote addresses will pay a $10 surcharge (since that's still cheaper than the Expedited Lite rate!).

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to use calculated shipping?

Also, you might want to look up postal regulations of the various carriers for shipping things like perfumes (if you haven't previously).

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@teenytrinkets 

If the second keystroke in a postal code is a "0" , you have a remote or isolated address, and there may be a stunningly high surcharge.

Did you check the rates for Expedited and for Regular parcel?

And would your shipment fit in a normal LetterRate envelope (up to 2cm thick and less than 500gr.)?
If so you can send it for the Letter Rate (up to $5.47) PLUS Registration of $9.75.

This is not available online, you have to go to the PO counter.

Do NOT use Registration outside of Canada,  it is no longer reliable.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I hate calculated shipping. I've had problems with it before. I also never know what size box I'll use until I ship. Or what method/shipper I'll use. I also don't want to dissuade someone in a remote area who sees $27 to ship a tiny item. I'll also sometimes set best offer and accept lower offers for those buyers who I can ship to for cheaper than or at my flat rate. I tend to do well by taking a hit on shipping for the tracked stuff, and I'm okay with that.

Us fragrance lovers roll the dice with CP.  Chitchats is okay with shipping frags, and that's my usual shipper.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

i have in the past sold at alot to lab.nfld and even the very far north and the only way to ship to them is by the prepaid boxes -- some of my shipments have come in at 38 dollars  for a shipment and ven one at 44 dollars items that would be 18 to 22 dollars any other place in canada --- so for me the prepaid boxes is the way to go when dealing far away places 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I have and one come in at around $25. It turns out it was a remote area only accessible once a day via plane.

It was a cheap item with a low margin. I opted to use an x-small flat rate box for $17. I lost a few dollars on the order, but I fulfilled it because it was technically my mistake and a few dollars isn't worth a defect. I did block the buyer, not because they did anything wrong, but I simply cannot provide service to them without losing money.

It's an issue if you use flat rates or free shipping instead of a shipping calculator. It's uncommon enough that I don't think it's worth rejigging your shipping policies.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

Yes, I have and one come in at around $25. It turns out it was a remote area only accessible once a day via plane.

It was a cheap item with a low margin. I opted to use an x-small flat rate box for $17. I lost a few dollars on the order, but I fulfilled it because it was technically my mistake and a few dollars isn't worth a defect. I did block the buyer, not because they did anything wrong, but I simply cannot provide service to them without losing money.

It's an issue if you use flat rates or free shipping instead of a shipping calculator. It's uncommon enough that I don't think it's worth rejigging your shipping policies.

At eBay Open they said they were hoping to give us more control over that sort of thing (the ability to block regionally, remote, etc). They also said they hoped to have the tax breakout for labels by the end of the year though, and that hasn't happened so...

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@flipistics 

Re Tax break down by end of year...

You're sooooo funny!!  🤣

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I also never know what size box I'll use until I ship.

Since original packaging may be a concern of your customers, have you looked into buying wholesale lots of certain sizes that will be right sized or a little too big for most of your items?

Having a standard package is the first step to knowing what your shipping cost will be.
https://www.uline.ca/BL_1304/Jumbo-Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

and of course eBay has a quarterly coupon that gives a discount on branded boxes for Store subscribers.

Or what method/shipper I'll use.

The more often you use a given shipper, the more likely you are to get discounts from them.

I have been known to let a stranger in the PO use my SfSB discount card in the so far vain hope that I may some day qualify for a better discount. So far it's only been brownie points.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I won't link directly because it's easy enough to find on their website, but Staples is the best place to buy boxes for small businesses that aren't large enough in scope to shop somewhere like Uline. Uline charges for shipping, Staples has free shipping.

In terms of the OP, Staples online sells very small boxes like ones that are 6x4x4 inches (approx. 16x10x10 CM). They are something like 50 cents each, and you only need to buy 25 at a time. I want to say they weigh about 70 grams. They would be a good option for the type of item you sell since most seem like they would be under 100 grams. 

For items you know qualify for Expedited Lite, you don't need the exact dimensions for the shipping calculator because if the weight on the calculator is 200g the customer will pay the same price regardless of the dimensions of the package. Volumetric weight for EL is 3220 cubic CM, but you're unlikely to exceed that with the small items you sell.

The only two things that matter with Expedited Lite/Tracked Packet are the actual weight of the item, and not exceeding the volumetric weight. Anything under 200g for Expedited Lite (or 250 for TP) is going to be the same price regardless of dimensions. So if the big hurdle for a shipping calculator is using different size boxes, but you know the item will be below 200g, and they are smaller items that you already know won't exceed the volumetric weight or dimension limits, you can just put something like 199g 5x5x5 in the shipping calculator and the buyer will get quoted the same shipping amount, even if you end up printing the label as 199 24x19x2 or 16x10x10, or whatever. 

So if you want to institute calculated shipping, and you don't want to standardize your packaging, that might be a way around it.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:

I hate calculated shipping. I've had problems with it before. I also never know what size box I'll use until I ship. Or what method/shipper I'll use. I also don't want to dissuade someone in a remote area who sees $27 to ship a tiny item. I'll also sometimes set best offer and accept lower offers for those buyers who I can ship to for cheaper than or at my flat rate. I tend to do well by taking a hit on shipping for the tracked stuff, and I'm okay with that.

Us fragrance lovers roll the dice with CP.  Chitchats is okay with shipping frags, and that's my usual shipper.

@teenytrinkets 

There are also a couple of companies that sell mini cb mailers in approved for use in Canada. (Minimailers/Slotbox). One near Ottawa and another in BC. The prices are decent if you buy in quantity. Shipping adds a bit to the unit price depending on the quantity. And you can order samples for cheap. To the USA they could be slid inside either a kraft or bubble mailer when using tracked. I am aware of a Canadian seller who uses these regularly for their smaller items. Would help give you a better handle when you want to use flat rate shipping. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Anyone-Have-problems-with-items-leaving-the-eIS-hub/m-p/34391...

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1713293649260.png

-Lotz

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Ummm...what do mini mailers or expedited lite have to do with an EIS thread on .com?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

Sorry bonus link attached in error.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

In terms of the OP, Staples online sells very small boxes like ones that are 6x4x4 inches (approx. 16x10x10 CM). They are something like 50 cents each, and you only need to buy 25 at a time. I want to say they weigh about 70 grams. They would be a good option for the type of item you sell since most seem like they would be under 100 grams. 

The 6x4x4 boxes weigh approximately 60g for the light weight ones and 68g for the heavier duty ones.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply