CRA and reporting taxes

ca_craz
Community Member

Hello,

I am wondering when and by whom the CRA gets wind of a seller's earnings? Is it eBay that is forced to report, or Paypal? I have phoned both and have received different and contradictory information on this. Basically they don't know. I realize there was a court case back in 2009 and that is the only information available online. Does being a POWERSELLER automatically put you on the radar? 

And to the people who will inevitably want to preach about how everyone should pay taxes, even if it was only a dollar that you earned, I am not looking for a lesson in your morality or what is right or wrong, I am just looking for the above information. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: CRA and reporting taxes

"when and by whom the CRA gets wind of a seller's earnings?"

Now, nobody reports earnings. They may report sales or receipts information. 

Canada works on a self-reporting system. CRA gets information from eBay and PayPal and many other sources such as Canada Post, banks,  packing supplies suppliers, etc... 

CRA estimates earnings based on the limited information they have when the taxpayer does not produce any.

The court case lost by eBay several years ago included PowerSellers at the time.  I understand reporting has been expanded and eBay is now cooperating with CRA instead of fighting the Canadian government (that was a nice PR exercise).

Anyone who has had access to the audit department at CRA understands the huge amount of information coming into the system.  Obviously CRA does not want taxpayers to "cheat" and, as such, does not tell the world all its secrets how they estimate anyone's gross income.  I suspect much of it has to do with spending habits (for example, if one purchases a $80,000 car - CRA knows from the HST report from the car dealer. A quick look will tell them if the income reported by the buyer justified such purchase.  If not, information is sent to the audit department and we all know the rest of the story.  The same is true with interest and investment income.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

for example, if one purchases a $80,000 car - CRA knows from the HST report from the car dealer

That would be impossible NOBODY reports GST by individual line item or who the tax was collected from.

CRA could ask the Ministry of Transport in the province of the taxpayers residence for a history of vehicles registered to that person but they would first need a reason to ask such as following an audit where the numbers reported by the taxpayer don't make sense.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

For  Canada..

At first it was eBay reporting sales for Powersellers at $12,000  for annual sales.

That got moved up to $20,000 annual sales...

and ... then anyone with an internet store had to add the internet  address of their store to the tax form...

Even with all of this....  there are still many who sell on the internet... as well as locally  that try to fly... under the radar..

The best thing to do is report   sales plus shipping...  and then find out how many deductions are applicable...

Better to be safe than sorry....

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

In contrast for the US... Paypal reports to the IRS... with $20,000 as the number.for each seller 

Since this is Paypal... then one must conclude that Paypal reports sales plus shipping...  

and that number... $20,000 is reached more quickly  in the US than in Canada... 

In Canada eBay reports sales...

One also has to be mindful of the exchange rate..... and at how quickly $20,000 is reached...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

If you buy something with the intent of selling it... it becomes a business.

and if you sell it for more than you paid for it.... That is taxable profit... after allowable business deductions....

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

and then there is the reporting of tax evaders to CRA.

Link to

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/leads/

Report the tax evader  and your identity is never disclosed... information is provided to CRA anonymously...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

When I was audited a few years back by CRA (because I was an eBay Power Seller at the time) the auditor showed up with a laptop that had a record of all my eBay sales. He did not, however, have any record of any of my expenses ( ie Shipping, Paypal Fees, Ebay Fees, etc). After some time making sure that I had reported all my sales he went away, but made the comment that selling on eBay was not the pot of gold that CRA was expecting.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

"not the pot of gold that CRA was expecting".

Many... many... small sellers to watch...  

and ...

How much could each of those sellers be  in error? if at all?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply