Can i arrange to be billed for international customers' customs duties?

I am looking to facilitate a transaction by paying for the customs and duty for a parcel going into another country. I have been told that "some carriers" will allow the sender to be billed for these items instead of the receiver, but not told which carriers. Does anyone know if such a thing is possible? How about with Canada Post?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can i arrange to be billed for international customers' customs duties?

Do you know how much the duty and taxes will be, and how to make out a Customs form for clearance in that country?  Do you have someone knowledgeable in that country to clear the shipment for you?  Countries like to receive their duties and taxes in their own currency.  There could be big problems in some countries without the right paperwork, payment and representation.  Your shipment could disappear.  As far as I know, Canada Post cannot do this.  Some of the couriers may offer this service for a price.  Call some on Monday during business hours.  Usually a Customs Broker is the correct choice, but that could cost you a lot.  Is the transaction worth all the extra trouble and money?  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Most of your 2000+ items are listed for less than $20 Canadian.  I see only one card, and three crocheted baby afghans, above that price.  In my opinion, unless you have someone interested over $1000 worth of your listings, pre-clearance is not worth your trouble.  Have you checked the potential buyer's feedback carefully?  You could be being set-up for an item not received scam, quite possible to work it like this in certain countries.

More information would be required to answer this completely.  Why not call a customs broker and see if you can discuss this in a way that provides you with information about what is required from you in terms of paperwork and money?  A phone call in free.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Correction:  A phone call is free.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Fedex does this.

It costs an arm and a leg and two of the fingers off your remaining hand.

Your buyer pays MORE for the service than she would for normal FedEx delivery.

The FedEx customs brokerage fee of $25 or more is part of this prepaid service fee as well as the appropriate duty and sales taxes.

Remember your buyer will be paying upfront for the service BEFORE you ship.

So.

Is the buyer insisting on this? She will scam you.

Are you being nice? You are going to lose money on this.

Will it make things easier than Canada Post? No.

Will it make it faster than Canada Post? Depends on the service and how much you and your buyer are willing to pay for it.

Will the parcel arrive on time for your buyer's deadline? Have you ever heard of Murphy's Law?

KISS.

Keep It Simple.

If the item does attract duty and sales taxes on arrival in your buyer's country, she will be asked to pay this before the shipper (postal or courier) will turn the parcel over to her.

If your buyer is not home when the delivery arrives, she will get a note about where and when she can pick up and pay for her import. Whether any import fees are due or not.

Postal imports are usually picked up in the neighbourhood. Couriers could have their offices anywhere-- out by the airport for example.

What you should do.

Make sure the customs form is clear on the origin of the item. That is where it was manufactured NOT where it was purchased.

Make sure the customs form is clear if the item is USED. These may not be dutiable, but may still be taxable.

Make sure you use the appropriate HRS(?) number on the form to help the customs officer identify how to assess the item.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, guys. The original question was a little misleading because it was in reference to a transaction on another site (which shall remain nameless, A?) I was typing on my phone and wanted to keep things short.

Apparently, while the post office won't do this, other couriers like DHL, UPS and FedEx might offer the ability for the shipper to be billed for border costs instead of the receiver.  I'll look into it further and see if it's worth it.

I appreciate you help!

(Thanks, femmefan, for the info on Fedex.  I'll check them out first.)

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If you use a couriers express service they usually include any brokerage fees in that cost. I'm not sure though if they actually let you prepay the duty and taxes.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Just realized you didn't ask specifically about prepaying. Fedex will send the custom fees bill to the sender if the buyer refuses to pay so as Femme said, they probably are open to arranging the bill to be sent directly to you.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply