Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/parcelRate_2018_OoC_en.pdf

Highlights:

1. Light Packet dies. Small Packet and Tracked Packet get an additional 0-100g price range to help compensate.

2. Expedited Parcel (Canada) gets a volumetric change. Starting January 15 the divisor will be 5000 instead of 6000.  This will push some parcel sizes into a higher price range. Regular parcel will remain unchanged with a 6000 divisor. So for some sizes Regular Parcel may be a better price than a discounted Expedited Parcel price.

3. Domestic prices will be up about 4% and the rest of the world up around 1.2%

4. Manual Small Packet labels will be phased out -- bar codes will be required (even if they are not tracked).

Actual 2018 parcel rates still to be released.

More: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=service_and_price_ch

-..-

Message 1 of 208
latest reply
207 REPLIES 207

Re: Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

The difference is pretty small.

In my opinion, the difference between what sellers pay for shipping and what they charge for shipping, should go into the books as a "handling charge" to cover packaging. Bubblewrap and our labour ain't free.

Message 101 of 208
latest reply

Question: if I create my Tracked Packet label via Shippo today but doesn’t drop off my package until Monday the 15th, would Canada post consider my package to have not paid enough postage?

reason: buyer bought some BIN and also bidded on auctions that are still running.

Message 102 of 208
latest reply

No, I don't think that's something you need to worry about. If the system were designed like that, every parcel or packet in transit would grind to a halt due to insufficient postage within 12 hours of a postal increase. Maybe dinomitesales can clarify that for us, as the ebay user who also works at an authorized Canada Post agent. Or, you could try calling the 1-800-number for CPC. 

Message 103 of 208
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

Question: if I create my Tracked Packet label via Shippo today but doesn’t drop off my package until Monday the 15th, would Canada post consider my package to have not paid enough postage?

It should be perfectly okay as long as you used the correct measurements. When you buy through Shippo the label info is added to the Canada Post system.  Then it just waits for the first scan, no further cost checking (just dimensions/weight error checking). If you sign into your Solutions for Small Business account on the Canada Post website and check recent purchases you will see the data for Shippo, PayPal and Canada Post labels.

-..-

Message 104 of 208
latest reply

Has anyone seen any info about Shippo or PayPal offering any online label discounts after Jan. 15th?

Message 105 of 208
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

... info about Shippo or PayPal offering any online label discounts after Jan. 15th?

Nothing so far.

The only additional discount PayPal currently has is for Small Packet (Air) of about 20% extra. That discount is also available through Shippo.  That discount seems to be more of a Canada Post effort to get people switching away from Light Packet than anything that PayPal/eBay arranged.  Since Light Packet disappears as a service on Monday, Canada Post will probably feel the need to be reasonable is gone.

eBay has discounted rates through Shippo for Expedited Parcel (Canada), Tracked Packet (USA) and Expedited Parcel (USA).  eBay has promised an update announcement.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/12/21/8092/

So if you have sales this weekend get them packed up and labels bought before midnight. Not sure which midnight -- Canada Post HQ (EST) or local -- but I'd pick HQ to be on the safe side.

-..-

Message 106 of 208
latest reply

Last year year or the year before on the Sunday before the prices went up I printed a label before midnight and the price had already gone up online.  But I can't remember if it was before midnight mst or est.CP often does maintenance on Saturday evening, it wouldn't surprise me if that is when they change the prices but that is definitely a guess. 

Message 107 of 208
latest reply

That is just swell. The cost to mail 1 cd to USA off the new price sheet is 8.49. ( cd's in a jewel case average 112 grams and do not go under 100 grams) Plus 11.5% premium for ebay + 3% premium for paypal + packaging costs ( mine is 38 cents and probably rising) = 10.13 cents cost without any handling whatsoever. I have difficulty not using swear words anymore.

Message 108 of 208
latest reply

@mayfairsuperdog wrote:

That is just swell. The cost to mail 1 cd to USA off the new price sheet is 8.49. ( cd's in a jewel case average 112 grams and do not go under 100 grams) Plus 11.5% premium for ebay + 3% premium for paypal + packaging costs ( mine is 38 cents and probably rising) = 10.13 cents cost without any handling whatsoever. I have difficulty not using swear words anymore.

I totally agree mayfairsuperdog. It is complete and utter nonsense. If it fits letter post it should go letterpost - like it used to a few years back. 

Message 109 of 208
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Last year year or the year before on the Sunday before the prices went up I printed a label before midnight and the price had already gone up online.  But I can't remember if it was before midnight mst or est.CP often does maintenance on Saturday evening, it wouldn't surprise me if that is when they change the prices but that is definitely a guess. 

Yes, that absolutely happened to me (I think in 2013.) Buyer bought and paid 11 pm the last day of the existing rates and I went to print the label the next morning and was greeted with an unpleasant surprise. 

Message 110 of 208
latest reply

@velvetfinch wrote:

@mayfairsuperdog wrote:

That is just swell. The cost to mail 1 cd to USA off the new price sheet is 8.49. (cd's in a jewel case average 112 grams and do not go under 100 grams)

I totally agree mayfairsuperdog. It is complete and utter nonsense. If it fits letter post it should go letterpost - like it used to a few years back. 

It still does for inside Canada.

However, the rest of the world is a problem for Canadian sellers of small stuff.

This not just a Canada Post issue.

The Universal Postal Union (UPU) has new rules  for shipments between the postal systems in different countries starting January 2018. Postal items will be differentiated as “documents” or “goods”.

* Documents: a letter-post, parcel-post or EMS item consisting of any piece of written, drawn, printed or digital information, excluding objects of merchandise, whose physical specifications lie within the limits specified in the Regulations

* Goods: basically everything else

These changes were pushed through in the 2016 UPU meeting in part because of the large financial imbalances that some countries (by exporting stuff via letterpost) were placing on postal systems of other countries. 

The future: customs and security requirements to make the provision of electronic advance data (EAD) mandatory on all postal items containing goods.  One of the reasons Canada Post wants all Small Packet shipments to have a bar code (the old manual small packet label is being retired).

Small Packet (USA) comparision

000 to 100g ... 6.84 (6.54) vs $7.05

101 to 250g ...  8.49 (8.00) vs $7.05

251 to 500g ... 11.15 (10.47) vs $9.25

First number is the Solutions for Small Business (SfSB) level 1 discount, second is the SfSB level 4 discount and last number is the eBay discount we've enjoyed for the last 6 months.

Still waiting to see if there will be any ebay discounts for Small Packet on January 15.

-..-

Message 111 of 208
latest reply

PayPal discount has now vanished for Small Packet.  Shippo is still holding on to the old rates this minute -- expecting the shoe to drop shortly.

Message 112 of 208
latest reply

Thank you.

I was adjusting my Light Packet listings to Small Packet yesterday evening and noticed that the ebay Shipping Calculator was displaying the new rates early. Or, at least I think that's what I was seeing. It will take me some getting used to the new price tier for Small Packets of 1g to 100 g. The entire time I've been a seller here, that price break was 250g.

Making matters more complicated to me is the extra deep discount we get for Tracked Packet to UK. if I lie in my listings about the weight of my item and say it's under 100 g then I can accurately display the cost of Tracked Packet to UK. Because UK gets a deeper discount for Tracked Packet than other locations I ship to. I do so dearly wish the shipping calculator and Shipping Preferences allowed us more customizations. I like things to be 100 per cent accurate for postage costs, not 85 per cent with a wiggle here and a jiggle there. Wish list.

Message 113 of 208
latest reply

A quick look at shipping to the USA as of January 15, 2018.

XpressPost USA

Same rates for eBay/Shippo, PayPal, and through Canada Post website.  With a higher rate at the post office/postal outlet.

500g online is $30.69 + fuel surcharge

500g over-the-counter is $32.69 + fuel surcharge

Expedited Parcel USA

eBay/Shippo has the best discounted rate. PayPal is the same as Canada Post.

500g example (Ontario to Washington state with fuel surcharge included)

eBay/Shippo: $18.78,  PayPal or Canada Post online: $20.55, Over-the-counter: $22.27

Tracked Packet USA

eBay/Shippo has the best discounted rate. PayPal is the same as Canada Post.

Examples (Ontario to Washington state with fuel surcharge included):

100g - Shippo: $11.96,  PayPal or CPC online: $13.22, Over-the-counter: $14.04

250g - Shippo: $15.25,  PayPal or CPC online: $16.86, Over-the-counter: $17.90

500g - Shippo: $16.44,  PayPal or CPC online: $18.17, Over-the-counter: $19.38

1.0kg - Shippo: $18.73, PayPal or CPC online: $20.69, Over-the-counter: $22.03

Small Packet USA

This is the tricky one. eBay/Shippo still has the extra discount. The one that was expected to disappear and that is already gone from PayPal. PayPal is now the same as Canada Post online.

Rates (Small Packet does not have a fuel surcharge):

100g - Shippo: $5.76,  PayPal or SfSB level 1: $6.84, Over-the-counter: $7.18

250g - Shippo: $7.05,  PayPal or SfSB level 1: $8.49, Over-the-counter: $8.78

500g - Shippo: $9.25,  PayPal or SfSB level 1: $11.15, Over-the-counter: $11.52

1.0kg - Shippo: $13.77, PayPal or SfSB level 1: $16.59, Over-the-counter: $17.16

Enjoy eBay's Small Packet rates while you can.

-..-

Message 114 of 208
latest reply

WOW!!! AN EXCELLENT JOB!!!! THANK YOU!!

It really (still) works!

I switched from PayPal to Shippo and printed 2 labels for 7.05 each! Smiley Happy

Message 115 of 208
latest reply

* Documents: a letter-post, parcel-post or EMS item consisting of any piece of written, drawn, printed or digital information, excluding objects of merchandise, whose physical specifications lie within the limits specified in the Regulations

So it sounds like my books, sewing patterns and stamps are probably okay.... darn, excluding objects of merchandise.... poot.

Message 116 of 208
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

So it sounds like my books, sewing patterns and stamps are probably okay.... darn, excluding objects of merchandise.... poot.

It's always been like for international lettermail sent from Canada. But now all UPU countries are doing it. But I would think that it would be the outgoing Post office checking that, not the post office in the receiving country. CP doesn't check if an  envelope contains only non merchandise documents now, I wonder if there will be any difference now?

Message 117 of 208
latest reply

Sometimes I do hear the postal clerk asking the customers in front of me all the 'right' questions like, 'Does this parcel contain flammable goods like alcohol or perfume?' or 'Is this outbound international letter a letter or is it goods?' but it's once in a blue moon and usually posed by shiny new employees whose training is still fresh in their memories. 

Message 118 of 208
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Quite a few years ago, I’m thinking maybe 6 or 7 years ago, eBay Canada hosted a discussion with a person representing Canada Post. I can’t remember her name but she certainly knew what she was talking about. One of the questions I asked her was if sewing patterns were considered the same as documents and if they could be mailed as letter post to the US and Internationally. Her answer was yes, because they were essentially just printed papers. 

So now if I send a sewing pattern to a friend in the US I guess I can send it by Lettermail but if I sell a pattern to a customer I have to send it by Small Packet. That doesn’t really make any sense.

Message 119 of 208
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It's always been like for international lettermail sent from Canada. But now all UPU countries are doing it. But I would think that it would be the outgoing Post office checking that, not the post office in the receiving country. CP doesn't check if an  envelope contains only non merchandise documents now, I wonder if there will be any difference now?

Wondering about that too. With the new rules in place, could the USPS decide to start inspecting lettermail coming in from other countries?

Message 120 of 208
latest reply