Canada Post: Free Shipping Tuesdays in OCT

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Free shipping Tuesday is back this Oct with snap ship.  Plus free pickup too.  And their are 5 tuesdays in Oct!  Maybe it will motivate me to get some of my bigger items listed so I don't waste it sending lettermail items expedited again. Domestic only

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Canada Post: Free Shipping Tuesdays in OCT

Ok this is really stupid. I have to give up now. Phone just died again after hearing elevator music for 1.5 hours again. I gotta get back to the restaurant now, got no more time for this nonsense. This is not very professional of them. How can they operate if they just do not answer the phone. I tried calling them for a total of 5 hours today.

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

@a51split wrote:

Here's a tip for all that get the free shipping.  It isn't necessary to send the package right away.  You can create the label and save it for a rainy day, as long as you know the buyer's name and address in advance.

Last year I used one of the October labels in March. The only hiccup was that the tracking wasn't visible to me on the CP site.  When I called the 800 number, they were able to see the tracking.

OMG!!   Thank you so much for that tip.  I quickly went to Snap Ship and prepared a label for my brother in Alberta who I ship to regularly.  I just made it under the deadline of midnight EST.  I was feeling bad that I had no parcels to ship today and couldn't utilize the promotion.  Then just before I went to bed, I thought I would check the Boards quickly and I saw your post.

Thank you!!

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

Ok this is really stupid. I have to give up now. Phone just died again after hearing elevator music for 1.5 hours again. I gotta get back to the restaurant now, got no more time for this nonsense. This is not very professional of them. How can they operate if they just do not answer the phone. I tried calling them for a total of 5 hours today.

There are reports on other sites that Canada Post's help lines were swamped with Snap Ship free Tuesday problems.

From the Canada Post website:

Alert: We are currently experiencing longer than normal wait times to speak with an agent. Consider reporting your problem online.

Plus CP phone lines are not available 24/7:

Monday to Friday, 7am–11pm ET, Saturday/Sunday, 9 am–9pm ET

I think they seriously underestimated the number of freeloaders that would try to take advantage of this offer (based on last year's experience, when the news of the offer was less widespread and Canada Post was still recovering from it's strike or lockout summer reputation).

I had no issues with 1 of my 3 browsers (Snap Ship has problems with other 2 old ones)

-..-

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

When I tried to log in, I got a message that I was denied. I have had a Venture One card for about 12 years.

I tried to phone and after 45 minutes my husband needed the phone, so I called again when he finished, and waited for 50 minutes before getting a reply. The rep was very helpful and walked me through it. All the details I had listed were timed out, so I had to do it all with him on the phone. When the "denied" error came up again, he went and got advise and then told me just to click on the continue link, and it worked out. I then had a lot of problems getting a label to print, had to change browsers. I then tried to print it, and it was only half on the page. Finally got it!

Took a looooong time, but finally made it.

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

I am getting this too since tuesday morning (now wednesday afternoon) and there is no "continue" link to be had:

Error 403--Forbidden
From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1: 10.4.4 403 Forbidden

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. This status code is commonly used when the server does not wish to reveal exactly why the request has been refused, or when no other response is applicable.

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

When the "denied" error came up again, he went and got advise and then told me just to click on the continue link, and it worked out.

It's surprising how often ignoring what the computer is telling you to do works.

I am more and more convinced that computers have little gnomes inside that sometimes get bored or tired, then have a coffee and get back to work.

I miss Terry Pratchett.

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

@ladybug2785 wrote:

I am getting this too since tuesday morning (now wednesday afternoon) and there is no "continue" link to be had:

Error 403--Forbidden
From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1: 10.4.4 403 Forbidden

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. This status code is commonly used when the server does not wish to reveal exactly why the request has been refused, or when no other response is applicable.

That is the same message I got at first. Later when I was following the instructions of the rep, a different "denied" error came up before I could complete. I think a lot of people were having problems which is why the phone waiting times were so long.

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

There is a size restriction

" have a maximum actual or volumetric weight of 5 kg (11 lb.).

How does one calculate the volumetric weight?

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

@bpl521_sell wrote:

@tobysh-tzu wrote:

There is a size restriction

" have a maximum actual or volumetric weight of 5 kg (11 lb.).

How does one calculate the volumetric weight?

Length times Width times Height (in cm) divide by 6000 for Expedited Parcel in Canada or 5000 for Xpresspost and the result will be the volumetric weight in kilograms.

Most shippers (UPS, FedEx, etc) have volumetric weight surcharges these days (especially for stuff going by air).

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

Wow, never heard this before, although I have been off ebay for sometime now and just getting back into.

Can someone please explain what this Free Shipping Tuesdays is all about, and how do I get in on it? lol

Thanks folks!!

I have two parcels to ship within Canada on guess what?? TUESDAY! Would love to ship them for FREE! 🙂

Message 30 of 45
latest reply

@*barrel*full*of*treasures* wrote:

Wow, never heard this before, although I have been off ebay for sometime now and just getting back into.

Can someone please explain what this Free Shipping Tuesdays is all about, and how do I get in on it? lol

Thanks folks!!

I have two parcels to ship within Canada on guess what?? TUESDAY! Would love to ship them for FREE! 🙂

Only one allowed!

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

@*barrel*full*of*treasures* wrote:

...Can someone please explain what this Free Shipping Tuesdays is all about, and how do I get in on it? lol

This a Canada Post special offer and has nothing to do with eBay.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/shipping/free-shipping-tuesday.page

Must be a Solutions for Small Business member (used to be called Venture One), free to sign up.

Must get the shipping label using the Canada Post Snap Ship online label program.

Must use a code on the payment page of Snap Ship.

Must have a credit card.

Label must be purchased on Tuesday (local time).

Limits: 1 free shipment per Tuesday, weight limit of 5kg, Canada only destination,

Codes: announced on the Monday before, but I predict codes of OCT10, OCT17, OCT24 and OCT31 for the remaining Tuesdays.

Misc: package does not have to be mailed on Tuesday

-..-

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

Rats.. Oh well one is better than none I guess! Thanks for your response!

Message 33 of 45
latest reply

Why can you not pay with Paypal as I always have before with regards to online shipping?
Message 34 of 45
latest reply

The Free Shipping promo comes directly from Canada Post and is to be utilized with Snap Ship which is only connected to credit card payment. You cannot use paypal to fund a Snap Ship purchase. 

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Darn  not everyone has a credit card  Duh to Canada Post.

Can we go to the post office to get free shipping?  Or it has to be online?

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

For heaven's sake only one package?  I have two  darn

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Darn  not everyone has a credit card  Duh to Canada Post.

Can we go to the post office to get free shipping?  Or it has to be online?

Must be online with Snap Ship -- which is Canada Post's real reason for the promo -- they want people to try Snap Ship.

-..-

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

The 2017 October 24 Tuesday code is: OCT24

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/shipping/free-shipping-tuesday.page

Haven't had a Canadian sale so far that fit in my 2 business day shipping time range (Friday to Tuesday) to take advantage of this offer. Instead I've been making some oversize lettermail upgrades to Expedited or Xpresspost. *sigh*

-..-

Message 40 of 45
latest reply