Canada Post Government Study

"The House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates (OGGO) would like to invite you to appear before the Committee in Winnipeg on Friday, October 21 from 8:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. in view of its study on Canada Post."

I get five minutes for a presentation and then they ask me questions.

Input. I need input. I really do not care what it is as I want all angles.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

"Oh, I completely disagree.  I think CPC would be very wise to pay attention to how eBay rates its sellers, since eBay's rules directly relate to the type and volume of parcel services used by those sellers.  "

The volume this would mean anything too is not even a drop in the bucket to CP.   Means nothing to  the big sellers on ebay who can send anything tracked cheaply.    Means nothing to those who can use chitchat or similar.  Means nothing to those sending larger items that have to be tracked because of their size.  So you are left with a tiny percent of the tiny volume ebay represents to CP, of which most of them still wouldn't pay a dime extra since the "on time" rating isn't causing any problems.  And of that volume, much of it is in media items which are all headed for extinction anyway.  Its not living in the real world to think CP would care let alone accomodate those few people or ebay's rules that have nothing to do with them.   They already created the tracked packet upsell for them    

Message 81 of 222
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

"Oh, I completely disagree.  I think CPC would be very wise to pay attention to how eBay rates its sellers, since eBay's rules directly relate to the type and volume of parcel services used by those sellers.  "

The volume this would mean anything too is not even a drop in the bucket to CP.   Means nothing to  the big sellers on ebay who can send anything tracked cheaply.    Means nothing to those who can use chitchat or similar.  Means nothing to those sending larger items that have to be tracked because of their size.  So you are left with a tiny percent of the tiny volume ebay represents to CP, of which most of them still wouldn't pay a dime extra since the "on time" rating isn't causing any problems.  And of that volume, much of it is in media items which are all headed for extinction anyway.  Its not living in the real world to think CP would care let alone accomodate those few people or ebay's rules that have nothing to do with them.   They already created the tracked packet upsell for them    

I think you've just made my argument for me.  They paid enough attention once, they might want to do so again. 

Since eBay never discloses its seller statistics, I don't think any of us can make definitive statements about what percentages of sellers are involved, whether tiny or significant, and what might be meaningful to eBay Canada.  

So my feeling is, what's the harm in the ask?  You don't ask, you can be absolutely certain you'll never get. 

Message 82 of 222
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It is unrealistic to expect eBay to physically look at each acceptance scan and compare it to the handling time on each particular listing. 

They wouldn't need to look at every acceptance scan.  All eBay would have to do is agree that a cash receipt (which already has a unique ID number) is sufficient as an alternative to an input tracking number.  The seller uploads the scanned receipt, inputs the receipt ID # as if it were a tracking #, and the system recognizes it as an acceptance # within the seller's handling time.  Any discrepancy or claim by the buyer could be handled as it is now, by CS looking at the scanned receipt.  Really the only aspect of this that is missing is eBay's willingness, not the technical feasibility of the concept.   

Regarding your other comment about switching to tracked packet and paying for it yourself.....it was your choice to do that rather than wait and see if the late shipment system was going to cause you a problem.   I still see many sellers sending items without tracking here so I don't think that it was as big a problem as some have suggested.

Well, you have such a kind way of putting things, thank you for your empathy.  But yes, I decided to protect myself rather than rely on eBay's assurances that the on-time delivery metric would be unlikely to cause problems.  You may see "many sellers" still sending items without tracking, but that is a far less risky decision for sellers living in urban areas, or sellers with bigger volumes who can absorb more black marks.  

I'm in a very rural location, and I know it takes 2 to 3 days for any parcel except Xpresspost just to get out of the province.  Add a snowstorm, and that becomes 3 to 4.  Add a snowstorm or other unforeseen "event" on the receiving end, or a delay through U.S. Customs, and that adds another 2 or 3.  I'm extremely reluctant to increase my handling time beyond 2 days in order to counter eBay's policies.  Tracking -- whenever I can justify it -- is the only insurance against the odds.  

By the way, I'm not saying I use tracking exclusively.  I still use Light/Small Packet selectively, for example if I know the weather is decent, the distance is reasonably short, and there is unlikely to be a Customs issue.

Please read 'mjwl's' Post #64 here -- her points are very much my thoughts on the subject too. 

Pj wasn't being unkind, just frank. We all cried foul when the Late Shipment defect metric was introduced, I was among the loudest critic. I even went so far as to eliminate all service by Small Packets Airmail in favour of only Tracked Packet after it was introduced.

What purpose did this serve? Pretty much killed my $10 to $50 sales to Europe because no buyer wants to pay $35 shipping on a $15 item. That had been a decent portion of my business.

As a result, do I have any Late Shipment defects right now? No, I do not. Would I be defect-related sanctioned into the ground for failing to meet the minimums allowed had I not pre-emptively switched to Tracked Packet from Small Packet? Probably not. I was overly cautious and expected I may be being overly cautious at the time but I made the decision nonetheless with my eyes open.

The sky did not fall as a result of the Late Shipment Defect as many of us predicted it would. 

You made a conscious decision to thwart defects by opting for tracked services. I made a conscious decision to thwart defects by offering only tracked services. Others did not. Those who didn't have not perished in a sea of flames. I can see and admit that. It's not personal, I don't feel affronted or attacked by acknowledging that I was overly prepared for the defect battle. I came to the knife-fight armed with a bazooka against an opponent who carried only a plastic spoon.

We can see now that the Late Shipment Defect metric is about as threatening as a plastic spoon to most ebay sellers. Except, that is, anyone selling from a rural, remote or northern location and mailing things to a rural, remote or northern location. Those sellers (and buyers) have a right to worry about the very-flawed delivery estimate. They are in an unenviable position. My sympathies go to those who are in that position but to call a spade a spade does not mean any of us are lacking in empathy. I did not need to guard myself so viciously against defects, it was overkill. I can admit that. 

Message 83 of 222
latest reply

A 50% decrease from their current prices so that Canadian are no longer being ripped off.

Immediate dismantling of their UNION - since postal service is a required service - employees should get an annual increase and that's it.

Immediate 50% reduction in the CEO salary since his current pay rate is WAY inflated and he is not worth it - does nothing to help the company and merely collects money for nothing. His pay ahould be that of a regular parliamentarian member $250K Max.

All mailing should have tracking option for under $1 to $3.00 max.

Just my thoughts

Message 84 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

We can see now that the Late Shipment Defect metric is about as threatening as a plastic spoon to most ebay sellers. Except, that is, anyone selling from a rural, remote or northern location and mailing things to a rural, remote or northern location. Those sellers (and buyers) have a right to worry about the very-flawed delivery estimate. They are in an unenviable position. My sympathies go to those who are in that position but to call a spade a spade does not mean any of us are lacking in empathy. I did not need to guard myself so viciously against defects, it was overkill. I can admit that. 

I'm sorry you felt compelled to intervene and explain 'pj's' motives.  It wasn't necessary or helpful.   

That aside, when you make the comment above, understand you're including me.  I am one of the unenviable small sellers who is trying to run an online business from a rural location, completely dependent upon Canada Post.  I know I have company.  

For us, the late shipment policy is indeed a risky prospect, more a Sword of Damocles than a plastic spoon.  

Saying this policy has had a negligible effect on most sellers is conjecture.  How can any of us know that for a certainty? Simply because eBay claims it is so?  Oy vey. 

How many sellers, especially smaller volume sellers, may have given up on eBay after a couple of late shipment defects because they couldn't afford tracking?  'Cumos'  tried to point this out earlier and was immediately challenged.  I think he was exactly right.  A local acquaintance of mine falls into that category.  She had been selling on eBay successfully for years, and has now given up.  Tracking is not a financially justifiable option for her business. 

How many sellers may have had a few late defects which downgraded their seller status to a point where they were no longer viable?  We'll never know.  

I would also remind everyone that we rural Canadian sellers have not yet had to go through an entire winter trying to meet eBay's on-time metrics (they took effect in February/March of 2016).  With a very likely 3 to 4 day delay during a snowstorm just getting parcels out of province, it wouldn't take too many snowstorms for me to lose TRS and associated visibility on eBay, the beginning of the slippery slope downward.  Winter weather and border delays at the U.S. end also increase the risk when I'm shipping to northern U.S. locations (I sell mostly to the U.S.).  

Meanwhile eBay continues to claim the on-time delivery policy is essentially benign.  That may be quite true for medium to large volume Canadian sellers in urban or suburban areas, especially if they are selling items of some value, and/or if they sell to the U.S. and are close to the border.  However, that effect is not due to eBay's thoughtful decision-making, it's simply coincidental.  The on-time metric was an American solution for an American user base. 

Which, to return to the main subject of this topic, is precisely the reason so many Canadian sellers are clamouring for a reasonably-priced alternative to expensive tracked services, particularly to the U.S.   

Message 85 of 222
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

How many sellers may have had a few late defects which downgraded their seller status to a point where they were no longer viable?  We'll never know.  

This really is off topic but that's the way it goes and I just can't resist this one indulgence.

I believe I was the "one" posting here to say over and over and over again:   Relax:  The changes eBay is making in how sellers are rated are all good.  (Not that there weren't others who felt that way but they didn't express it openly.)

Probably shouldn't say I told you so, but ....................

Rose, the regulars here haven't had problems and trust me:  If others were having issues at least some would find this board and post here.  As far as I can see it's not happening.

Back to the topic of tracking.

I wasn't suggesting above that the purpose of scans should be about the eBay rating system at all, although it was interpreted that way.

I was saying that in the very near future each and every parcel will have a bar code and get scanned at both ends of the journey so a reasonable  place to start would be with one scan at either end of the route.

Message 86 of 222
latest reply

rose-dee wrote:

.... I'm sorry you felt compelled to intervene and explain 'pj's' motives.  It wasn't necessary or helpful..... 

And I'm sorry you felt that my clarification was not necessary or helpful. I certainly did which is the reason I took the time to share it. I would also venture to say there are other discussion board members who agree it was both necessary and helpful that I intervened when and where I did but I will allow instead those members to speak for themselves if they choose to do so.

This isn't personal. I seek only to bring factual back to this thread. That aside, we are all entitled to disagree. That is the entire point of a discussion thread. This isn't a monologue, it's dialogue.

Since this seems to be 'personal' to you, allow us to help. Tell us what postal code you ship from and we'll collectively pool our postal experience to recommend the exact number of handling days you need to add to your listings to cover extra days to the nearest major shipping hub and therefore correctly pad your non-traced delivery estimates so that your buyers will see a correct, reasonable date in the On-Time Delivery Question. This may alleviate much of your likely unnecessary worry about defects on untraced items, and limit the number of times you may feel you should opt for tracked packet as opposed to small- or light-packet. That is, if your only concern is about the on-time metric. (Many other sellers choose traced for the insurance it provides against Items Not Received.)

You can even start another thread about it if you like, one that is all yours and not related to the Canada Post Corporation House of Commons Committee sitting Mr. Elmwood and I are attending later this month in October.

As to that, I must agree that we are standing on the precipice of traced mail for all. Sylviebee has the right of it there, I think. This is the future, online shopping isn't going to dwindle, it will only grow, as it becomes more ensconced in people's consumer habits, so it only stands to reason that seller-senders will demand the assurance from shippers of tracking on their precious cargo. We need more tracked options, and more affordable tracked options. We already agree the future lays with parcel delivery, don't we? This is the link to Canada Post in the Digital Age for those who are looking to keep it handy. http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/examendepostescanada-canadapostreview/rapport-report/consult-eng.html

Edit: The link is hung-up at the moment and not producing the study but I assume that is a temporary problem. Unless our Cold War frenemies are at it again. Ha ha. Groan. 

Message 87 of 222
latest reply

That link I provided in the post above is still down. 

This is a very brief account of it from http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=84494...

October 21, 2016

Winnipeg, Manitoba

For more information on the meeting venues and times, please consult the Committee’s website: http://www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/OGGO. Members of the public are invited to attend these hearings. Please note that witnesses (or observers) attending the meeting must clear security and provide photo identification before they can be granted access to the meeting room.

Canadians may participate in the Committee’s study through e-consultation. The e-consultation consists of an online questionnaire accessible from the Committee website from Monday, September 26 to Friday, October 21, 2016. Paper copies of the survey are also available upon request.

As part of its study, the Committee invites Canadians to share their opinions on the options that the Task Force on Canada Post, which was established by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement in May 2016, presented in its working paper entitled Canada Post in the Digital Age and any other topics related to the Canada Post Corporation. The study will result in a report to be presented in the House of Commons in December 2016.

The following options were examined by the Task Force on Canada Post:

• Community mailbox conversion;

• Converting 800 of the highest volume corporate post offices to franchise outlets;

• Alternate day delivery;

• Further streamlining processing operations;

• Pursuing further synergies with Purolator;

• Selling advertising in retail network;

• Additional “last mile” delivery for 3rd parties;

• Price based strategy;

• Review of labour and pension costs;

• Distribution of marijuana;

• Post offices as community hubs;

• Changes to Canada Post’s governance;

• Postal banking.

Message 88 of 222
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I'm sorry you felt compelled to intervene and explain 'pj's' motives.  It wasn't necessary or helpful. 

wow

That aside, when you make the comment above, understand you're including me.  I am one of the unenviable small sellers who is trying to run an online business from a rural location, completely dependent upon Canada Post.  I know I have company.  

For us, the late shipment policy is indeed a risky prospect, more a Sword of Damocles than a plastic spoon.  

Saying this policy has had a negligible effect on most sellers is conjecture.  How can any of us know that for a certainty? Simply because eBay claims it is so?  Oy vey. 

I doubt that anyone here is taking into consideration what eBay has said. My comments are based on what I have experienced and on what I have read here on the boards. I agree with sylvie that if many sellers were having problems meeting the late shipment standards, there would  been many posts from sellers who were experiencing a lot of late shipment defects.

How many sellers, especially smaller volume sellers, may have given up on eBay after a couple of late shipment defects because they couldn't afford tracking? 'Cumos' tried to point this out earlier and was immediately challenged. I think he was exactly right. A local acquaintance of mine falls into that category. She had been selling on eBay successfully for years, and has now given up. Tracking is not a financially justifiable option for her business.

I have had a couple of late shipment defects and it really isn't a big deal. It certainly didn't make me want to quit.  

Cumos was challenged?? Geez...  I asked him who he was referring to and what happened with that person.  

Correct, we'll never know. So unless you know of many sellers that have been in that position, it's conjecture to suggest that it is a large problem.

I would also remind everyone that we rural Canadian sellers have not yet had to go through an entire winter trying to meet eBay's on-time metrics (they took effect in February/March of 2016).  With a very likely 3 to 4 day delay during a snowstorm just getting parcels out of province, it wouldn't take too many snowstorms for me to lose TRS and associated visibility on eBay, the beginning of the slippery slope downward.  Winter weather and border delays at the U.S. end also increase the risk when I'm shipping to northern U.S. locations (I sell mostly to the U.S.).  

The first evaluation for the new standards was Feb. 20. For the shipping time standard smaller sellers have been rated on transactions from Sept. 12,2015 so we have already been rated  on a year of transactions ........for all 4 seasons.

Obviously  because of your location you see the shipping time standard as a potential sinkhole for your seller status and you are dealing with it however you feel is best.  But imo there is not evidence that it has become a problem for a large amount of sellers.  

Meanwhile eBay continues to claim the on-time delivery policy is essentially benign.  That may be quite true for medium to large volume Canadian sellers in urban or suburban areas, especially if they are selling items of some value, and/or if they sell to the U.S. and are close to the border.  However, that effect is not due to eBay's thoughtful decision-making, it's simply coincidental.  The on-time metric was an American solution for an American user base. 

Which, to return to the main subject of this topic, is precisely the reason so many Canadian sellers are clamouring for a reasonably-priced alternative to expensive tracked services, particularly to the U.S.   

I believe that Canadian sellers were clamouring for reasonably priced tracking long before the late shipping metrics existed.   

Message 89 of 222
latest reply

I am unable to say ... here on a discussion Board ... in public....who it was that had to stop selling on eBay....  Discussion board rules with respect to people that are no longer selling on eBay.

Seller living in the northern part of Ontario....had problems with the local postal outlet..... and with the lack of tracking.

These two facts created on-time delivery problems... and then Item not received claims ....

Seller   had to stop selling on eBay.

Message 90 of 222
latest reply

If that is the member I think it is, I don't recall that his/her decision to leave was all about the Late Shipment Defect. I seem to think that it was the final straw but that their frustration had been building as a result of other ebay disappointments. 

When you cite policy, are you talking about the 'name and shame' aspect? We're not trying to embarrass them. Or the banned-from-the-board-and-cannot-discuss policy. I don't recall the member was ever told by the moderators to leave the Community and don't come back. 

Not that it really matters one way or the other. Unless we hear somehow from the seller in question, we won't know what truly led to their decision to leave and the specific circumstances that went with it.

Since you know them, Cumos, can you invite them back to participate in this discussion?

On another note, try instead this link to Canada Post in the Digital Age:

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/examendepostescanada-canadapostreview/documents/EPC-CPR_rpt-eng.pdf

It seems like I can't upload a pdf.  

Message 91 of 222
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

I am unable to say ... here on a discussion Board ... in public....who it was that had to stop selling on eBay....  Discussion board rules with respect to people that are no longer selling on eBay.

Seller living in the northern part of Ontario....had problems with the local postal outlet..... and with the lack of tracking.

These two facts created on-time delivery problems... and then Item not received claims ....

Seller   had to stop selling on eBay.

That was exactly the scenario with my acquaintance here in SW Nova Scotia, a seller who had been on eBay for over 10 years. 

The fact that eBay hasn't collected statistics on such sellers doesn't mean it isn't a real issue.  And sellers who leave won't be back to these boards to tell us their stories first-hand. 

Message 92 of 222
latest reply

Please invite your acquaintance back to do just that. 

If anyone hopes ebay is willing to change anything, they have to prove it is a problem first.

Message 93 of 222
latest reply

Think something else happened there the way that id disappeared, neither they NARU way nor the self quit way .    

Message 94 of 222
latest reply

Just know him by seller ID... and what was said by this seller on eBay.....nothing else

The frustration by this seller grew  and then exploded.....  Seller just gave up and said good-bye to eBay

Message 95 of 222
latest reply

Please invite the seller back to speak to this if you can reach him. 

I'd do this myself but only you know who you are speaking about.

No status quo was ever toppled by people sitting quietly on the sidelines. If Late Shipment Defects are in fact driving away good sellers from ebay, then ebay needs to know about it. 

Message 96 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Please invite your acquaintance back to do just that. 

If anyone hopes ebay is willing to change anything, they have to prove it is a problem first. 

She moved away early this summer and I haven't seen her since.  I only spoke to her casually on a handful of occasions over the past few years, but she had told me she was reliant on her eBay business to subsidize her pension income.  I don't know her well enough to contact her, nor do I even know her last name.  Frankly she was so upset at eBay the last time we spoke that I doubt she'd want any more to do with this place.

I completely sympathize with her situation and with other retirees who have worked hard for years to build up a business to help support themselves, only to be thwarted by eBay policy.  They are usually at the end of other income options in their lives.  

I think eBay will do whatever suits them, whether or not there are complaints about problems.  I have no faith left in eBay's willingness to listen to its users, if in fact I ever believed in that possibility.  To return to the subject of this thread, the only thing I hope for is that Canada Post may see the benefit of collaborating (again) with eBay to both corporations' benefit to provide better shipping solutions. 

Message 97 of 222
latest reply

I know who you are referring to and did see your replies to my questions.

Message 98 of 222
latest reply

Will you invite them back, pj? I'm not 100 per cent Cumos and I are speaking about the same seller. 

Like I said earlier in the thread, if the Late Shipment Defects truly are pushing way good sellers from ebay, then ebay needs to know. The corporation won't know until someone speaks loudly and clearly. 

Message 99 of 222
latest reply

I noticed the same thing with another sellers id.......there wasn't a link to feedback so perhaps eBay is deleting or hiding that info after a certain amount of time.  

Message 100 of 222
latest reply