Canada Post Holiday Delivery Schedule?

Since both Christmas Day and Boxing Day are on the weekend, will Canada Post be closed for 4 days?  I am assuming that they won't be delivering mail on the Monday and Tuesday but perhaps someone will know for sure.

@dinomitesales  Do you have any insight on this?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Canada Post Holiday Delivery Schedule?

marnotom!
Community Member

Yes, because of when Christmas and Boxing Day fall this year, Canada Post offices will be closed and there will be no mail delivery or pickup for four consecutive days.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/general-information/find-out-operat...

A public sector employer I have ties to has also pinpointed the 27th and 28th as "dark" days.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thanks. I had already checked that link but just wanted confirmation since they only say that the holiday 'may' be applied to the following business day.   Wishful thinking.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Yeah, @marnotom! is correct. The last mail pick-up from post offices will be on Christmas Eve (although usually a lot earlier than normal), and Christmas Eve is also the last day for mail delivery. No delivery or collection of mail through Tuesday, although retail post offices should be open regular hours on the 26th through the 28th.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

dec 27 monday the post work

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Not just CP, I beilieve couriers are as well.  UPS states on this on their website.

eBay is telling me to mail items on Monday, which is fine outlets will be open to recieve parcels.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

There is no regular collection or delivery of mail on December 27, December 28 & January 3. Our post offices will be closed; those in franchise locations may be open according to host business’s hours of service. Stay safe! Learn more: http://ow.ly/StLQ50HgR76

That is from the Canada Post twitter. 

eBay's business days or shipping time frames aren't always accurate. I have 3 day handling, and my items that sold on the 24th are marked as ship by the 29th. Which means, eBay is counting Mon/Tues as business days.

It becomes a gray area. There is no reasonable benefit to handing off anything to Canada Post before Wednesday morning, because even if the post offices are open, it will not leave the post office (or red lettermail box) until Wednesday at 5. At the same time, by not shipping the item, you may not be satisfying your handling time. Even know in this situation, you shipping in what eBay considers 1 business day brings no added benefit to the customer.

If you cannot print a label online, and there is no outlet open, you could mark the item as shipped manually and add the tracking later. If you do this, I would message the buyer to politely explain that their item will be handed off to Canada Post Wednesday before 5PM, because there is no mail pickup before then. That you will add the tracking number at that time. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

it will not leave the post office (or red lettermail box) until Wednesday at 5.

Depends on the route.

We have  a red box at the end of the block which promises 9 am pick ups and another two blocks away which promises 3pm pickup- but for the latter the truck actually picks up at 2pm.

Our Post Office and postal outlet both have a posted 3pm pickup and the truck seems to be quite prompt there.

However, any mail even for within the city, then gets on the ferry from Vancouver Island to the mainland where it is processed in Richmond/Vancouver before sailing back to Victoria, Nanaimo and points north.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Our post office was closed on days that ebay dictates that I have to ship. Strange that they would not know our schedules

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

eBay viewed December 27 and 28 as business days...... So... I delivered mail to my post office location at a Shoppers Drug Mart on these two days....

I had to do the right thing..... to follow eBay's view ..... of business days...

Monday January 3 is also considered a business day by eBay

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

eBay viewed December 27 and 28 as business days...... So... I delivered mail to my post office location at a Shoppers Drug Mart on these two days....

I had to do the right thing..... to follow eBay's view ..... of business days...

Monday January 3 is also considered a business day by eBay

Problem being not everyone everywhere has the same access to the same CP outlets with those hours across Canada.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Shoppers Drug Mart is a franchise location  ....   where it is open ..... when a location run by Canada Post will be closed

A Canada Post location will be closed on December 27 and 28  and on January 3....

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

That assumes everyone has close access to Shoppers/7-11 etc. franchise location.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

A great many of us reside in rural areas. Generally speaking there is not a Shoppers Drug Mart or similar CP agent available in our neighbourhoods, eBay's business day calendar makes no sense.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
A great many of us reside in rural areas. Generally speaking there is not a Shoppers Drug Mart or similar CP agent available in our neighbourhoods, eBay's business day calendar makes no sense.

Ongoing US Discussion on the opinions of processed(business vs non business days/shipped/scanned/in transit and how poorly this is addressed by eBay.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/eBay-s-INACCURATE-Notifications-creates-Negative-Buying/m-p/3...

-Lotz

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

It does not matter whether the postal location is run by Canada Post or is a franchised location.

Each seller must know when a postal location will be open and parcels can be delivered  to a specific location.  All  parcels will ultimately be picked up by Canada Post, and delivery to a buyer begins, 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply