Canada Post International Shipping woes

Good Day, 

Has anyone noticed any recent issues with Canada Post Small Packet Air service? This service does not provide tracking, however it has been fairly reliable for me. However in the last 2 months they have failed me. I have had at least 4 buyers in the last few months state they have not received their packages. 2 of the said packages were sent days apart to the same address in Mexico, one to New Zealand, and another to Bahrain. Of course, no tracking means I must refund shipping and cost of goods.

I have had very few losses in previous months or years. If this continues I may have no choice but to shut down my international sales.

Just wondering if others have encountered similar issues?

Thanks for looking..

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

marnotom!
Community Member

Your issue likely isn't the lack of tracking, as you'd still owe those buyers a refund if the tracking showed that they hadn't received their items.

Your issue is that there's no way to make an insurance or indemnity claim on those items.

Many sellers get around this by adding a small amount to their shipping charge to go into a "cookie jar fund" that gets raided when a claim is made.  If you had done this for the items you'd shipped in the past by small packet, you likely would have been able to cover those refunds from the virtual cookie jar.

Still, no time to start like the present.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I ship everywhere.

I have not noticed an increase in loss rate internationally as of late, but I have had a lot more problems than normal with items in USA and Canada in the last little while.....

I did recently have a "lost" item that CP showed as delivered to a Canadian address. The buyer called CP  the next day day to advise that it in fact was not delivered, and then got me to put in the claim, and it was EASY and SIMPLE and approved that day! (so one day after it was shown as delivered) I was very shocked, it has been a couple years since I lost an expedited box but it was a long, drawn out, argumentative process the last time...

So on the assumption you aren't counting USA, I haven't had anything unusual in the last while...

Keep in mind that I sell in a long established "mailorder" realm of stamp collectors....

PS incase you haven't seen it before here's my annual review of losses up to last year (2019 is going to be worse than last year, it is already):

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Self-insurance-cookie-jar-RICARMICs-statistics-to-2018/m...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Mexico is on my personal list of unreliable mail service countries for untracked items.

Third party insurance is available if the label is purchased through Shippo. They use Shipsurance to provide coverage. https://goshippo.com/terms/insurance/

-..-

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I don't Block either Mexico or Bahrain, but I don't give a shipping price for either.

Mexican and Bahraini customers would have to contact me to get a price and I could turn down the sale (by Blocking the Bidder or by cancelling the purchase as Problem with Address) if I was uncomfortable.

Other UAR eBayers have posted about strange and difficult postal "rules" in their countries. I suspect what they were not saying is that receiving packages requires bribing the carrier.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for all the info...

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

Good Day, 

Has anyone noticed any recent issues with Canada Post Small Packet Air service? This service does not provide tracking, however it has been fairly reliable for me. However in the last 2 months they have failed me. I have had at least 4 buyers in the last few months state they have not received their packages. 2 of the said packages were sent days apart to the same address in Mexico, one to New Zealand, and another to Bahrain. Of course, no tracking means I must refund shipping and cost of goods.

I have had very few losses in previous months or years. If this continues I may have no choice but to shut down my international sales.

Just wondering if others have encountered similar issues?

Thanks for looking..

Mexico in particular is a very problematic destination, I haven't shipped there very much but the non-delivery issues are well known and the ones that do get delivered can take a very long time. I've been a "victim" a few times.

I've never shipped to Bahrain but for any of the Gulf States customs can be an issue (your items should not be a problem).

As far as New Zealand, very few reports of issues there, I've never had any but it can be a bit on the slow side.

These not received reports you've had, how long after shipping are you getting them?

Oh yeah, "tracking", all that would do is confirm the non-delivery, tracking is not magic pixie dust.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

"These not received reports you've had, how long after shipping are you getting them?"

Usually a month or more. I tend to give 22 business days before I refund.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

OK thanks.

Doesn't sound like your buyers are jumping the gun.

My experience with Mexico and the other well known for delay destinations is that 4 - 6 weeks is not unusual. That said I understand it's difficult to ask or expect a buyer to wait longer when it's been a month.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not include mail service with tracking number like Tracket Packet or XpressPost for your international sales which the buyers would pay for and you wouldn't lose any. 

It is a risk for us to charge mail service with tracking number which we started a few years ago and needless to say many buyers don't mind paying for them!  Of course we may lose many potential buyers when they see the shipping costs with tracking number but at least we sleep better especially the so-called "cookie jar insurance" don't work for the expensive items that we are selling.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Most of my items are low in dollar value, when someone orders $15 worth of goods, tracked international is usually over $40 shipping. small packet is $11.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Why not include mail service with tracking number like Tracket Packet or XpressPost for your international sales which the buyers would pay for and you wouldn't lose any. 

It is a risk for us to charge mail service with tracking number which we started a few years ago and needless to say many buyers don't mind paying for them!  Of course we may lose many potential buyers when they see the shipping costs with tracking number but at least we sleep better especially the so-called "cookie jar insurance" don't work for the expensive items that we are selling.

Here's a scenerio I deal with EVERY day.........

Sell $20 item Internationally

Charge $15 shipping (400 - 500g item) (my shipping charge is lower than my competition)

My cost for that $15 shipping is < $10

I have a $5 - $7 "handling charge" to cover losses and put in my pocket.

Or

Sell $20 Item Internationally

Charge $30 for tracked shipping

My cost for that shipping is $30

I have ZERO handling charge to cover losses and put in my pocket

I also have half the sales because my shipping charge is now double.

My packages still get lost because tracking does nothing at all to prevent anything but a fraudulent buyer......I'm not happy, my buyers are not happy, the only people happy are the post office.

The OP is in a slightly different situation because many of their product are very light, on the other hand some of their items are lower than $20 but the same thing applies. Paying for tracked shipping when it incurs a substantial cost in both profits and sales in not a good plan.

Over my history in mail order my loss rate on International shipments is less than 1 in 500, using the example above I would be spending out of MY pocket more than $5000 to protect myself from ONE single loss of less than $30. If my loss rate was 1 in 100 I would be spending $500, even losing 1 in $10 would still mean spending $50 to cover $30 in losses!

The reality is that "cookie-jar" of about 10 cents per shipment would more than cover my normal losses. Over all my time on eBay I have only had tiny number (a handful perhaps) of lost shipments where I had even a whiff of suspicion that the buyer was less than honest and half those shipments WERE sent using tracking (due to size/weight, only methods with tracking available).

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I have had a problem with Canada Post with a registered mail letter that someone from the US sent with over $200.00 in stamps.  They said it was being held because of a address problem.  So naturally I contacted Canada Post who asked for my postal address which I gave them, when I got the letter the only that showed up that held the delivery of this registered letter by one week was that the seller put the postal code ahead of Ottawa, so the address showed K1G 1W7 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

A warning on Registered Mail.

Yes, it's been around for centuries (originally as Money Letter), but today it will not track the way we oldtimers expect it to.

Registered Mail can only reliably be tracked domestically, and so is a waste of money for international mailing.

Canada Post Tracked Packet (USA or International) would be the reliably tracked preference. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply