Canada Post Tracked Packs To Europe Today Are Half Price? Huh? Must Be a Mirage....

Today I was costing a 250 gram shipment (35x27x1cm) to Italy.  The total price on Snap Ship came to $24 ALL IN! Regular = Over $40. Then I checked the same shipment to the UK and got the same results. This is cheaper than Int Surface Parcel.  See photo.

Must be a gliche or someone please tell me to pop the Champagne!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Canada Post Tracked Packs To Europe Today Are Half Price? Huh? Must Be a Mirage....

International Small Packet has no tracking and from past experience, shipping to Italy is iffy at best of times and way too much risk, that I stopped shipping to that country many years ago..

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

International Small Packet has no tracking and from past experience, shipping to Italy is iffy at best of times and way too much risk, that I stopped shipping to that country many years ago..

Small Packet International Air/Surface may have no tracking, but Tracked Packet International does (as well as up to $100 insurance) for at least to about 31 countries, Italy being one of them.  The rub is that it normally costs roughly twice as much as Small Packet International.

Anyway, I'm going to stick my neck out here and call the OP's findings a glitch.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I get that rate on Canada post with the discount from my solutions small busines card. I have only level 1 discount. I used it in Septmber for UK and it was 20ish dollars then. Wasn't a glitch then. International packages seem to get the largest discount with the Small Bussiness card from my experience with it.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Not a glitch.

Tracked Packet gets a big discount with Canada Post's Solutions for Small Business versus over-the-counter. Small Packet Air gets a tiny discount by comparison.

-..-

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

This afternoon I received not one but TWO over-the-counter discounts with merely the usual scan of my card. Both were International Air Tracked Packets; one headed to Belgium, the other Ireland.  Neither discount was 50%, but both were significant, dropping my total from approx. $95.00 to $71.00.

Anyone have a CP link handy explaining  this discount...in particular, how long it will be available?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Over-the-counter rate is the rate without a card.

You got the 2021 tracked packet discount when using the card (Solutions for Small Business / Venture One).  The discount is bigger if the label is bought online.

Next scheduled change is January 2022.

www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page

www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/account-information/my-account/what-is-my-small-business-discoun...

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Ahhhh...okay, thanks!*

Key takeaway: "Next scheduled change is January 2022." So if these Solutions for Small Business discounts are locked in for the year, then I have some International Air Tracked Packet rates to adjust...downward for a change.

* P. S. Except for online Customs Forms - which CP still can't seem to get working right, especially the autofill - I routinely avoid their site. For most biz users out here in high country, 'over-the-counter' just means "Hi ladies!"

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I just checked another shipment purchased online thru C Post. You're correct!  There is a big discount just for Int Tracked Packs making them even cheaper than surface.

There's a discrepancy if you use SHIPPO. EG: A 365 gram bubble mailer to France via Tracked Packet Int purchased online from Canada Post is down from $52.34 retail to $34.27 all in. 

I sent the same package using SHIPPO in December.  Their "discounted" cost for eBayers was $41.60 all in.  $7.33 more! If most of your stuff is Tracked Packet it adds up. 

I personalized a system to move data from eBay to Snap Ship and return the tracking. It's very easy.  I'll try timing the diff but with practise it's very close to using Shippo. I don't have the volume some of you have.  If I did a very simple form filling app could be the way to go. Canada Post may already have one. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

For those who are just tuning in this is strickly INTERNATIONAL TRACKED PACKAGE  . My experience is the USA TRACKED PACKAGE rates bought online from Can Post are the same as Shippo.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

After years of shipping to Italy even during the Pandemic I've never had any problems.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

After years of shipping to Italy even during the Pandemic I've never had any problems.

Same here!

There were big problems in Italy in 2007 - 2009, issues were mostly resolved and the excessive delays no longer exist.

That doesn't stop people from posting that shipping to Italy is bad because they once lost a package.....more than 10 years ago!

From my recent experience Italy is a safer bet than quite a few other European countries.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

For Tracked Packets, most (small business) rates went down in 2021, quite significantly in some cases: from $39.81 to $32.25 (Level 1) for 500 g to Zone 2.  This should help explain your discrepancy.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply