Canada Post changes for letter mail

Hello Guys

Earlier I was able to send small cables or dvd etc in letter mail to keep shipping cost low.

Today I went to ship a cable and guy at Canada Post said that from now on only letter or documents can be sent in letter mail. And anything else needs to be shipped in parcel mail.

Has anyone else faced the same thing recently?

Just wondering how can I ship a 3 or 4 $ cable in parcel mail?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

This is correct, it seems Canada Post has tightened their rules for International shipments. Are your cables sent to Canada? If so, you can buy stamps and bring them at home. Once there, you put the cable between 2 pieces of cardboard, tape on each side and then put everything in an envelope. Seal the envelope and put stamps on it. Bring it to the nearest mailbox.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Awesome... That would work...yes mu cables are sent within Canada. Has any thing changed for International shipping as well? I mostly send books and other electronics stuff but that is sent in the parcel package

Regards
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Were you trying to send within Canada or internationally? I remember hearing about them becoming more strict with international Lettermail, but nothing about domestic.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Oops, looks like we were typing at the same time and you answered my question before I posted it.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I went to ship a cable and guy at Canada Post said

Just as an aside, are you signed up with CPO's Small Business Solutions? That gives you a 5% discount on most package services, though not on LetterPost/LightPacket or on stamps*.

Technically, the postie was right. And the solution is never to hand an LP item over the counter. Just drop them into the letterbox outside. The guys at the terminal are too busy to care.

* You can buy really nice stamps at a discount on eBay. *cough*

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I think that the postal worker may have been confused as the CP website doesn't indicate any change to oversize lettermail within Canada. Letter mail was not supposed to be used for any goods sent outside Canada...that isn't anything new but apparently they have been clamping down on that so perhaps that's where the confusion comes in. 

I also find that items put in a letter box seem to get much less scrutiny than when brought inside to a postal outlet.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Technically, the postie was right.

The postie would have been right if it was being sent out of the country but this was domestic lettermail.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Just a side note... the envelope sent with the cable/cardboard cannot be over 2 cm thick.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

From Canada Post's website .............

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletpost-e.asp#1378633

Unacceptable Items

The following items may not be sent as Letter-post (U.S.A. and International):

• small packets
  • goods
  • film, audio or video recording (diskettes, CD, DVD)
  • unsealed self-mailers and envelopes
  • items that do not meet the specifications for U.S.A. and International Letter-post
  • items prohibited by law or defined as dangerous goods in Canada (see Non-mailable matter for more information)
  • items prohibited by law or defined as dangerous goods in the destination country (see International Destination Listing for more information).

The following items are unacceptable when attached to a postcard:

• photographs
  • samples of merchandise or similar articles
  • cloth, embroidery, spangles or other decorative articles
  • cuttings of any kind
  • fold-back sheets
  • other items that stick out or are in raised relief.

Enclosures

Only paper enclosures which meet the requirements for Letter-post (U.S.A. and International) are acceptable.

-------------------------------------------------

It was for many years that books weighing less than 500 grams and less than 2.0  cm thick  were sent as letterpost to the US and Internationally.

Canada Post is now enforcing the content of letterpost to the US.

Now they travel using Small Packet... costs about $1.00 more to ship to the US...goes airmail....  and appears to be no problem...

If it weighs less than 500 grams  and is more than 2.0 it can be shipped using small packet..

No books, but magazines are acceptable....

Books meeting the size and weight requirement can still be shipped using lettermail within Canada... No problem... so far!

---------------------------------------------------

Enforcement with respect to letter post to the US and Internationally  may have to do with security, and what one can easily ship using  Letterpost.

Parcels are more vigorously examined by customs....   International security  has become more important based on what has recently been happening in many countries.  Too easy to ship illegal items via letterpost...

---------------------------

Also.... from Canada Post's website

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/lettersdocs/default.page

What is a letter?

Letters are items such as envelopes, greeting cards, postcards, bills, specialty stationery, legal documents, magazines and brochures that fall within certain size and weight requirements.

-------------- 

Lettermail  versus Letterpost

Lettermail.... Mail within Canada

Letterpost ... Mail to the US and Internationally

Could this be why there are two names for the "same" thing... a letter....

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Now they travel using Small Packet... costs about $1.00 more to ship to the US...goes airmail...

If it weighs less than 500 grams  and is more than 2.0 it can be shipped using small packet..

A dollar more?? --  It's 2-4 dollars more for the low weight packages.

Rate comparisons to USA (Sept 2017)

Lettermail and Light Packet are not online choices and can be no more than 2cm thick or over 500g. There has been some talk that Light Packet will be phased out in 2018.

051-100g ...  2.95 O/S lettermail (stamp rate)
101-200g ...  5.15 O/S lettermail (stamp rate)
001-200g ...  6.84 Light Packet
201-300g ...  8.60 Light Packet

201-500g .. 10.30 O/S lettermail (stamp rate)
301-500g .. 11.75 Light Packet

Small Packet (up to 1kg for USA, can be thicker than 2cm, SfSB level one rates shown)

001-250g ,,, 7.05 - eBay.ca via Shippo  (until January/2018)

001-250g ... 8.49 - PayPal / CP Snap Ship / CP EST Online

001-250g ... 8.61 - over the counter

251-500g ,,,  9.25 - eBay.ca via Shippo  (until January/2018)

251-500g ... 11.15 - PayPal / CP Snap Ship / CP EST Online

251-500g ... 11.29 - over the counter

501g-1kg ,,, 14.11 - eBay.ca via Shippo  (until January/2018)

501g-1kg ... 16.60 - PayPal / CP Snap Ship / CP EST Online

501g-1kg ... 16.82 - over the counter

Part of the reason Canada Post is pushing enforcement is because they haven't been able to change letter rates since 2014, whereas all their other services have had price jumps.  Thus a big price gap at the bottom end. Another reason is for CPC to be ready when the international postal rules change in 2018.

But enforcement should only be made for crossborder shipments. Inside Canada they tried doing the same for oversize about 12 years ago and failed -- in part because the did not have a lightweight parcel alternative. Since Canada Post was doing some experiments this summer for an under 500g class of parcel, there may be changes coming for inside Canada next year.

-..-

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

tnyshoes wrote:

"Hello Guys

Earlier I was able to send small cables or dvd etc in letter mail to keep shipping cost low.

Today I went to ship a cable and guy at Canada Post said that from now on only letter or documents can be sent in letter mail. And anything else needs to be shipped in parcel mail.

Just wondering how can I ship a 3 or 4 $ cable in parcel mail?"

We have trouble with certain staff at a select few outlets. One place it is a super cranky old lady with "horn rimmed glasses" that snaps at every customer and is just generally rude. This lady even opens items to check and see that they only contain paper items. We just don't use the lower "quality" outlets and have found a great outlet where all the staff are great and know how to run a post office. We go to this quality postal outlet every day, have been since 2012.

We ship things all the time like music cds and cassettes by lettermail. Just as long as the padded envelope is not thicker than 2cm or heavier than 100g. $1.80 in stamps to Canada, $2.95 to USA, $5.90 to anywhere else.

101g to 200g 2cm or less is still $5.15 in stamps to USA.

So if you don't have an outlet you can use without hassle then just put your lettermail items in the corner red post box.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

@tnyshoes wrote:

"Hello Guys

Just wondering how can I ship a 3 or 4 $ cable in parcel mail?"

We have trouble with certain staff at a select few outlets. One place it is a super cranky old lady with "horn rimmed glasses" that snaps at every customer and is just generally rude. This lady even opens items to check and see that they only contain paper items. We just don't use the lower "quality" outlets and have found a great outlet where all the staff are great and know how to run a post office. We go to this quality postal outlet every day, have been since 2012.

We ship things all the time like music cds and cassettes by lettermail. Just as long as the padded envelope is not thicker than 2cm or heavier than 100g. $1.80 in stamps to Canada, $2.95 to USA, $5.90 to anywhere else.

So if you don't have an outlet you can use without hassle then just put your lettermail items in the corner red post box.

You will find that changing next year, so be ready for it. International Letter Mail is just what it says, letter(paper), not goods/merchandise.

CP is going to start enforcing no goods/merchandise in international letter mail. Parcel mail only for any goods will have to be used so expect to have a large increase in shipping costs..

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice, that would help me a lot, 

Just to add , I was aware of the Canada post policy about International letter mail that I can only put letter or documents in letter mail going abroad, but in this particular case it was domestic mail (with less than 2CM thick and around 90g in weight) going to Mississauga from Brampton.

Dropping directly in the mail box is something that would save the time as well, by the way, at the end the Canada post guy told me to drop the mail by myself in letter box, which I did.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I sent a music CD by lettermail to the US over a month ago. Yesterday the letter was returned to me. Padded envelope and all. $2.95 in stamps, was about 98g and I dropped it in the box. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

@tnydeals wrote:

Just to add , I was aware of the Canada post policy about International letter mail that I can only put letter or documents in letter mail going abroad, but in this particular case it was domestic mail (with less than 2CM thick and around 90g in weight) going to Mississauga from Brampton. 

I suspect (as others have said) that the postal clerk was confused, and thought that the new international regulations applied to domestic. 

One question: was this a retail outlet (drugstore, etc.), or an actual post office?  Often people hired for retail outlets get only cursory training, and a lot of them are part-timers who don't fully understand the details of the job. Sorry to say so, but this is what we get when non-union people are in these positions who aren't personally "invested" in their jobs. 

I use a "real" post office exclusively and I find the postal clerks are always fully up to date and knowledgeable.  If you don't have an actual post office accessible to you, then dropping items in the box is the best idea.  

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I called Canadapost about this and I quoted the non standard USA  lettermail specs to him. He agreed that it should be acceptable as long as the letter is under 2cm thick. I tried the cardboard trick to make it look uniform.  However , as others have found it is hit or miss. I no longer take the risk, Luckily I am near the border (Blaine,WA) and can ship USPS 1st class pkg TRACKED for 2.61USD up to 4 oz

I recently started using chitchats.com in Richmond, BC. They only charge 65 cents extra to forward the same pkg to Blaine. 

So, if my gas tank is full, I use chitchats otherwise I drive to across the border and fill up too 🙂  

One trip saves me $40 in gas lol

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Sounds like you are on the right track with USPS in light of the pending changes in 2018 with international lettermail.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I have had many letters returned to me in the last while for unacceptable content.  I sell mostly coins.  My postal lady looked into why and mentioned the same restrictions noted above.  She also said that they are starting to use scanners or X-Ray equipment to veiw the contents within the letter.  Since I am the biggest customer at this particular post office, they are allowing me to continue sending as is at my own risk.  If the letters come back then it is my fault not theirs.  In a few cases, Canada Post stated on the returned letter that more postage (60 cents) would be sufficient enough to allow the letter to continue....even though the letter was properly weighed and stamped accordingly.  I am under the impression that all the postal workers country wide are in a learning transition right now.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply