Canada Post enforcing an existing rule- HS codes

Chatting with the senior clerk at my postal outlet today (not a postal employee for the record).

She tells me that starting next week, Canada Post will be insisting on HS codes for all exported goods.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

It might be useful for eBay sellers to note the codes for their most shipped items somewhere to save time making up labels.

These do not seem to show up automatically when I print labels.

She also mentioned that her system will automatically decide if it wants the four +two number or the four+four number, so record the extended one. The label will just not accept the extra numbers if it doesn't want them.

Also USPS is getting firmer about phone numbers.  Since eBay doesn't necessarily give those, this could be a problem.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Any time that I have checked in the last few years the buyer's phone number is in order details.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Chatting with the senior clerk at my postal outlet today (not a postal employee for the record).

She tells me that starting next week, Canada Post will be insisting on HS codes for all exported goods.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

It might be useful for eBay sellers to note the codes for their most shipped items somewhere to save time making up labels.

She also mentioned that her system will automatically decide if it wants the four +two number or the four+four number, so record the extended one. The label will just not accept the extra numbers if it doesn't want them.

Also USPS is getting firmer about phone numbers.  Since eBay doesn't necessarily give those, this could be a problem.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Something some regularly do but not all. As for the phone number and email addy being requirements, that was something I brought up years ago when I spied it on Royal Mails website (Tyler days). They are something that have been MANDATORY requirements for shipping by courier for years. Driver sees blank they will ask before accepting. Just how it is.

Issue being in the past we saw an actual email address of the buyer (and seller) up until a few years ago. Both ported to Shippo without a problem. Customs needs a way to contact parties in cases where they have questions. Without the boxes filled in their are chances that items could be delayed or returned or disposed. With eBay Labels there is a phone number on US/Intl orders but not on Canadian. If you fill in on CP the box is there in all situations. Unsure if it is a mandatory requirement or just recommended. Best to be safe. As for the email addy it is MIA with eBay Labels. With eBay filters there are no guarantees buyers/sellers see any outside mail coming to them.

-Lotz

PS. Does eBay ever verify phone numbers or request they be updated when they change???

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I've been doing this anyway, but that's interesting to note. I'm guessing it'll be 4+2 for USA and 4+4 elsewhere? These forums should be fun for the next few weeks!

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I've heard of no such "enforcement". Canada Post continues to strongly recommend all commercial customers include an HS code (as they should be already) for any shipments, as pretty much all international customs authorities are tightening their belts so to speak on declaration requirements.

Getting people to enter an HS code when creating a label online is one thing (and even there I don't think it's "required"), but they can't unilaterally force an HS Code to be included on every export. There is simply no infrastructure or processes in place for Canada Post clerks to be looking up HS Codes for everyone coming to the counter to mail an international parcel. It would require a major rehaul of the existing RPOS software to add an "HS Code Search" and a significant training program to educate clerks on what they are and how they shoul dbe used. If I had to guess, I would say 80% of current postal clerks currently representing Canada Post would have no idea what an HS Code even is if asked about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if something is in the works to have HS Codes added for all exports (not just through Canada Post, but other foregin postal services as well), but it's not going to be forced on every consumer in the near future.

Heck, at the moment Canada Post's own online customs form (that they're trying to get every customer sending an international parcel to use) doesn't even have a spot to enter an HS Code. Making it a requirement to add one when filling that out would be a good start if they want to make them mandatory at some point.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

There is simply no infrastructure or processes in place for Canada Post clerks to be looking up HS Codes for everyone coming to the counter to mail an international parcel.

The clerk looked it up herself on her computer -- not the one she uses as a cash register.

She had to ask me what was in the parcel, which she had anyway.

This was an unusual situation where I was sending Tracked Packet but had already stamped the envelope for domestic shipment before noticing the address was American. Senior moments. The cost to me using discounted mint stamps is about the same as the current Tracked Packet discount.

But the incredibly patient clerk  had to make up the barcoded label at the counter. 

In future, when I use stamps to pay for Tracked Package, I will be adding the HS number written on the envelope, something I do with the postage total already.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

That's weird. 

When I send off my items internationally, I attach the VAT code and the post office would attach a copy of my customs form to the bubble mailer. 

A few weeks ago they told me I must have both adresses written on the mailer. It's already on the customs form, but they say this is an existing rule. They've never enforced this on me before.

I wonder if a memo came down from on high or are customs in other countries becoming more strict?

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I have been using HS codes 0000.00 (this format) for over a decade and Phone numbers are always there for Americans, usually...

If it is not I put 000-000-0000 

But, yes Canada Post is cracking down on the postal rules and it will increase as they are putting in new sorting and delivery systems here in a couple of the Montreal "centers".

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Somewhere when the HS etc codes came out my PM looked up what to do if you don't have the phone number and it said in their monster manual to put your (sender) phone number in instead. That's what I've been doing so far.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

I have been using HS codes 0000.00 (this format) for over a decade and Phone numbers are always there for Americans, usually...

If it is not I put 000-000-0000 

But, yes Canada Post is cracking down on the postal rules and it will increase as they are putting in new sorting and delivery systems here in a couple of the Montreal "centers".

@brettjet38 

Re: Phone numbers and courier requirements. Not everyone uses CP.

Yes, you could use 000-000-0000 or your own number but:

UPS:

A valid phone number (preferably mobile) is vital to recover any missing clearance documents and/or validate the delivery address if needed. Please note that missing address requirements will cause a delivery delay. A P.O. Box address is not valid as we do NOT deliver to a P.O. Box.

Fedex:

Domestic shipping labels require the sender's and recipient's names, addresses, and phone numbers, along with the weight and type of package.

FedEx requires a phone number with every shipment for several reasons. First, it allows them to contact the recipient in case there are any issues with the delivery, such as an incorrect address or a failed delivery attempt. Second, it can help the delivery driver locate the recipient if they are having trouble finding the address. Lastly, it provides an additional layer of security and verification for the shipment, ensuring that it reaches the intended recipient.

Notes: SO...I know that UPS won't ship to a PO Box (buyer's address is a PO Box), so I went to FedEx to print a label, and it won't allow me to get past the box that says it requires a phone number for the recipient.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@femmefan1946 

Last year shippo sent an advisory out saying USPS now requires email address for US packaging.  I'm not sure if it's mandatory yet but it's easy enough to add to your Customs doc.

The buyer's temporary email addy can be copied to your clipboard by clicking "Show contact Info" on the right side of your order. 

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The clerk looked it up herself on her computer -- not the one she uses as a cash register.

She had to ask me what was in the parcel, which she had anyway.

I have no idea where your postal outlet is located but this isn't common practice. She had a separate, non-CPC computer next to her CPC computer? This is a choice by whatever host business has the post office and has nothing to do with Canada Post. Canada Post's computers don't have direct access to the internet so they can't even get to the HS Code Lookup web page (even the one that it is hosted on Canada Post's servers).

It's great that your postal outlet is using non-CPC measures to try and help their customers, but I can assure you there is no directive that HS Codes are becoming mandatory starting next week. But I will again continue to urge all sellers on eBay to use them 100% of the time anyway. If you are using discount postage and purchasing your labels at the counter you can provide the information to the clerk as there is a spot where they can enter it on the customs declaration, but it isn't mandatory.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Haven't used HS codes in years and  until such time as it becomes mandatory, see no need to apply something that is not directly needed for processing mail... However, I do use 00000000000 as buyer's phone number and my home phone land line is always on the packages...

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I've been using HS codes for a long time now as it was mandatory on Shippo to print a label.

However, I printed a label on eBay last weekend, and did not have access to my manual list of usual HS codes, so I tried not entering one. And the system let me print my label without it.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I found this thread today and it helped me to solve why I was not able to print a us tracked shipping label! I input the HS code and it worked!!! THANK YOU

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Lotz - Neither UPS or Fedex can ship to a PO box.... after all PO stands for Post Office which of course means the boxes are owned by the post office

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

We ship with discounted stamps and the post office scans the our SB card and customs QR code and prints the label. There has never been a place to put HS codes or country of origin when filling out the customs form on canadapost.ca and at the post office(s) there is no mechanism to add the HS codes to the printed shipping labels except to write the HS code in by hand along with the country of origin.

Still this way as of march 14, 2024.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Neither UPS or Fedex can ship to a PO box....

USPS seems to have made some kind of deal about that-- possibly part of the AZ delivery contracts.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Getting people to enter an HS code when creating a label online is one thing (and even there I don't think it's "required"), but they can't unilaterally force an HS Code to be included on every export. There is simply no infrastructure or processes in place for Canada Post clerks to be looking up HS Codes for everyone coming to the counter to mail an international parcel. It would require a major rehaul of the existing RPOS software to add an "HS Code Search" and a significant training program to educate clerks on what they are and how they shoul dbe used. If I had to guess, I would say 80% of current postal clerks currently representing Canada Post would have no idea what an HS Code even is if asked about it.

Amen.  I said this to them when they started making us fill out the stupid online forms and every time I said it Id just get back some dumb blank look from the clerk like I was speaking in some alien language unknown to man.  The form needs to be re-jigged entirely to accomodate this request first, and this requires software developers, debugging, beta testing, and eventually trial running and roll out and this is all too complex for these guys at this time or any time in the near future.  They needed to have thought of this when they initially designed this form but they clearly didnt.  Canada Post like the Canadian govt finally getting into taxing online sales long after most western countries started taking a chunk are years behind most other industrialized countries on this matter. 

Chitchats didnt think this thru that well either, but at least they thought of it as I discovered quite some time ago you can get by without any code and write the Code:PAID in the address label and pay a lower rate than if you enter the code.   Sometimes its like $10+ more if you enter it.  Postal & shipping service firms are still wrapping their heads around the logistics and requirements of these implementations, most of which no one seems to know about especially if its from some far away distant place, and if they do, they have partial or incomplete understanding of it and like in CPCs example, they cant implement it anyways as their software systems dont allow for it.  

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Canada Post clerks to be looking up HS Codes for everyone coming to the counter to mail an international parcel.

The HS code- which identifies what is being imported by the buyer- is needed at the other end. The seller and/or PO clerk are helping the foreign customs agent.

write the Code:PAID in the address label and pay a lower rate than if you enter the code. Sometimes its like $10+ more if you enter it.

Why would you be paying anything (beyond postage) to EXPORT?

The HS code identifies imports and tells the customs agent how much to charge the importer for duty.

If some company is charging you the import fees for another country,  they are defrauding you.

Note that some companies (eBay's eIS which is not available in Canada) do charge the BUYER import fees for their own country rather than having the buyer/importer pay them on delivery.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply