19 REPLIES 19

Canada Post letter rate increases likely for 1/19

Like death and taxes but I cannot get irate about spending a nickel more on a domestic stamp. I still marvel that I can mail a letter from Vancouver Island to Cod Island for a buck. It won't kill me to spend $1.05 CAD.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@momcqueen And you'd ensure that you have a good supply of "P" stamps before the rate increase, too, right? 🤓
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

If I were smart, I would. But I use the $1.90 stamps for the stuff I send via lettermail and the P-permanents don't make a big difference with that. Or maybe they make the same difference. Either way, it's a nickel difference. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Complete list of price changes (the first in 5 years for stamps):

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2018/2018-06-23/html/reg1-eng.html

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Given that letter mail, U.S.A. and international letter-post and domestic registered mail are regulated, any change to the rates must be made through a regulatory amendment.--  http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2018/2018-06-23/html/reg1-eng.html

I believe this means that these rates still have to get Parliamentary approval, right?

Parcel rates, and the tracked but NOT Registered rates like ExpressPost, do not need that approval.

I look forward to finally getting rid of many thousands of five cent stamps.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

No doubt the rate increases must be to pay for things like the ridiculous distances

some parcels travel to get delivered when they have been misdirected.

Last Friday (July 6) we mailed a parcel to Virginia, USA.

(Virginia, to our knowledge, is on the east coast of the USA - right? )

We are in Sask. and usually the parcels go Regina/Mississauga/Chicago/Virginia.

Well this parcel is just leaving Los Angeles, California after visiting there for 4 days.

Parcel will have traveled several thousand miles further than it had to before it gets to its destination.

It should have been delivered by today but still has to travel right across the USA.

Here is the tracking................

July 14, 2018
In Transit to Next Facility
The item is currently in transit to the next facility as of July 14, 2018.

July 13, 2018, 7:47 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 13, 2018, 10:49 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 10, 2018, 2:42 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) 

July 9, 2018, 12:43 pm
Processed Through Facility
CALGARY, CANADA

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

July 6, 2018, 1:04 pm
Acceptance
CANADA

This isn't the first time we have had parcels take the LOOOONG scenic route.
These kinds of errors must cost the Post Office plenty extra.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I'm located in Calgary. When I check any of my shipments going to the US, 95% get routed via Richmond to LAX, get cleared and go to their final destinations from there. The balance, from time to time, skip a step and go directly to LAX, definitely speeding up the process. If I order anything from the west coast it gets routed back to me the same way. From my understanding any parcels originating in western Canada normally clear in Richmond. Anything in the east clears in Windsor. If you are receiving a package that was shipped through GSP  no matter where it was originally shipped from it has to go through the central hub in KY which can definitely delay things especially if your package originates in the west and so do you. Unfortunately mail almost never moves in a straight line due to sort points. Hope that helps clarify what happened with your recent shipment.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

From Winnipeg, my USA-outbound parcels go to Mississauga; the ones to Europe hit Montreal, and those destined for Australia or Asia head towards Richmond.
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Rick Mercer Report Mar 2010 - Rick and Canada Post

For entertainment and general informational  purposes only. Procedures may or may not have changed since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rXVoUdER6w

-CM

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

No doubt the rate increases must be to pay for things like the ridiculous distances

some parcels travel to get delivered when they have been misdirected. ...

This isn't the first time we have had parcels take the LOOOONG scenic route.
These kinds of errors must cost the Post Office plenty extra.

Lettermail stamp rate changes have nothing to do with parcel rates.

The example you give does not cost the Post Office plenty extra -- it's travelling with lots of other parcels for company -- it is not travelling  by itself -- it is only when tens of thousands of parcels get misdirected that costs start to add up.     Spoke and hub transportation.

-..-

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I recently had a package coming to me from LA by US tracked. (Hold the GSP).  Cleared in Richmond with re-routing by Xpresspost added at that point. Transit time 5 business days. Transaction included actual fair and honest shipping charges. Now if only we had those options available to ship our smaller packages reliably across Canada or to USA!!!

-CM

PS. Winnipeg  deliveries gets Mississauga for sorting as a "punishment" for being in the middle of Canada.  😉 Kidding. Just closer to Windsor vs Richmond, but only as the crow flies.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Given that letter mail, U.S.A. and international letter-post and domestic registered mail are regulated, any change to the rates must be made through a regulatory amendment.--  http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2018/2018-06-23/html/reg1-eng.html

I believe this means that these rates still have to get Parliamentary approval, right?

Parcel rates, and the tracked but NOT Registered rates like ExpressPost, do not need that approval.

Still to be approved. Only stamp rates and certain services like registered for lettermail require parliamentary approval since those item rates are baked into the Canada Post regulations.

It's been 5 years since the last change, so I expect approval will not be difficult to get (although how badly the union contract negotiations go will probably influence the results).

2019 Canada stamp rates2019 Canada stamp rates

2019 stamp rates USA/Int'l2019 stamp rates USA/Int'l

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
From Winnipeg, my USA-outbound parcels go to Mississauga; the ones to Europe hit Montreal, and those destined for Australia or Asia head towards Richmond.

A Small truck (private contract) picks up all mail from our local rural post offices around 4pm, without fail by midnight at the latest it has been processed in Missauga if heading that way which most does.  If mail is destined for delivery anywhere in the U.S. it is almost always flown from Pearson International (Missisauga is near the airport) into Chicago, if there is going to be a delay the Chicago Service Center is where the delay generally occurs.  Mail or parcels for Europe leave by air pretty quickly too. In fact, I can dropoff a piece of Lettermail Monday afternoon and have it delivered just about anywhere in the U.K.  by Wednesday, happens with regularity. Destinations on the Continent take only a couple extra days. Parcels requiring customs clearance is another story.

Domestic heading East always seems to go to Belleville for the first processing go round, may or may not stopover in Montreal depending on where it's headed. Domestic heading West I don't recall where it is first processed, rarely send tracked things out there. Lots of Lettermail heads that way and it does seem to take longer to deliver out west.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

It'd be interesting to see what the small packet international rates would be for the 250g and 500g weight class next year...
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Well this parcel is just leaving Los Angeles, California after visiting there for 4 days.

While it is odd that it went to LA, the extra time is the responsibility of USPS not Canada Post.

BTW, both Canada Post and USPS not only use Air Mail, they also own their own airplanes.

@lotzofuniquegoodies  - You do mean Richmond BC (Vancouver) right?

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Can you tell me since when Xpresspost parcels are without signature ?

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Domestic Expedited and Xpresspost both offer the option of Signature for an extra $1.50 with Priority being the one that has it included. Xpresspost USA has Signature included. For all
other international destinations, the sender has to check whether it’s Xpresspost or Priority with Signature available (if required) on a country-by-country basis. At least this was the case when last I checked as I rarely have outbound parcels hit that requirement.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:

Can you tell me since when Xpresspost parcels are without signature ?

Signature is an optional extra for Xpresspost for Canadian shipments.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/compare-services-canada/xpresspost.page

Signature included for Xpresspost USA

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/compare-services-international.page

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Correct. Yes, Richmond, BC.

-CM

Message 20 of 20
latest reply