Canada Post lost package - potential defect?

So, after using Canada post for years with virtually no issues, I send a package with tracking to western canada and it has been "lost". Perfect timing now that the potential "defect" is looming. I have communicated with the buyer the entire time, 6 emails, the buyer has responded to none of them so she is either not concerned or unaware?? I called ebay today to ask how I avoid a defect should the buyer file a item not received and they basically said  that the defect will happen automatically. It is then up to me to speak with the appeals team to get it reversed. Does this seem a little backwards? I have tracking attached to this item. When you link to the tracking number it clearly shows that CP rerouted this package incorrectly and is over a week late in delivery. With this information right there available for Ebay to see, why would I receive a defect automatically? What is the point of uploading tracking or for that matter even shipping with tracking if you still earn a defect when CP screws up. I'm just very concerned as a small seller that the defect rate can really mess with 10 years of hard work and never a negative in all of those 10 years. I go over the top with my buyers, subsidize shipping, neat tissue wrapped items with a little bonus in each package. It just seems somewhat unfair that the position is that the seller is immediately responsible for things clearly out of our control.  Any advice or anyone experience trying to get a defect removed yet?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I have communicated with the buyer the entire time, 6 emails, the buyer has responded to none of them so she is either not concerned or unaware??

The buyer did not contact you first to say that they haven't received their parcel yet...is that right?  Without seeing the tracking info it's difficult to know what may have happened there is the possibility that they received the item and that Canada Post did not scan it as being delivered.

How long has the package been 'missing' and have you talked to Canada Post about it so that they could put a trace on the package?  If they find it and it is delivered and if the buyer hasn't opened a claim, then of course there will not be a defect.

If you have to refund because the package can't be found, you will receive a defect unless the cancellation choice is buyer changed mind which obviously isn't the situation. I haven't tried to appeal a defect but based on what I've read, you would not get it removed in that situation. Fair or not, that seems to be the way that ebay wants it.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the response. I have opened a case with Canada Post and they said that it can take  5-10 business days to get back to me. I was trying  to be proactive and contact ebay help just in case the buyer leaves INR and causes a defect. I wanted clarification on the process. It is strange that the buyer does not respond to my emails as she is not a "newbie". I do find that the occasional buyer though does not check in to their ebay account often and perhaps doesn't get her ebay messages pushed to her external email account. I always check in on my tracked packages especially when the buyer has not left feedback so I was watching this one and that's when I realized CP had an issue. Package is about 10 days late at this point. Hoping all works out. I pointed out to buyer that I shipped next day after payment and if she can keep that in mind, that it is a postage issue not a seller issue. See what happens.Just seems strange that ebay will have proof that it is not seller issue but charges the defect first and leaves the buyer in a position to have to call in and defend oneself.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Because the parcel was delivered and tracking was not updated, you are now badgering the buyer?

You are assuming the parcel is missing. No-one has stated that.

I bet the buyer has their parcel and wishes you would stop emailing them. Many, most, buyers like to be anonymous and do not respond to emails.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I suppose that is a possibility but Canada post has confirmed that they had rerouted the item incorrectly and have not been able to locate it. I guess I will leave it alone. I was just trying to be proactive and avoid a possible defect by informing the customer. I would think if my emails bothered her so much she would tell me she had the item??

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

People do have life's outside eBay and online shopping, just saying... I'd just leave it until the buyer feels the need to contact you.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Well, just heard form buyer!! Item has not arrived yet. She is willing to wait a until Thursday but if not arrived by then, would like a refund. Will  navigate that when and if I have to.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Hi all, hoping for some direction. Buyer has now asked for a refund as Canada post has clearly lost the item and still have no answer for me using the tracking number. Could be another 5 days until they have any idea, which leaves the buyer waiting about 25 days for an answer for a shipment form Ontario to Alberta. Does the buyer have to initiate the refund? If so it looks like she has to file an item not received via paypal??  If that is the case, how do I avoid the defect. I thought there used to be a drop down option to cancel a transaction on ebay under purchases? Fortunately never been in this situation before but now with defects becoming a concern I want to handle this correctly. Should I just refund her via paypal not linking it to the purchase and forget about gettinig my FVF back? Can a buyer initiate the transaction cancellation without getting a defect and if so, where is this option. I have cancelled bids and transactions for buyers before because they made an error but never after they have paid and I have shipped. Thank yo in advance.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

refund the transaction and then send a cancellation for either buyer changed mind, or "other".  If the buyer opens a case its a defect

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks but where is do I find the option to cancel transaction. I have seen that option when a buyer wants to cancel prior to paying but the only options available now that the buyer has paid  are contact buyer, leave feed back, view order details, view paypal transaction, sell similar, add note, report buyer, relist.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I believe you have to refund the buyer through Paypal. This will show on the Ebay sold page as refunded and then I think you can cancel the transaction. I refunded a transaction where a case was not opened, the buyer was not happy with the item as it was a gift and giftee was visibly disappointed in a couple of flaws so I refunded. Got a defect for the refund but I didn't cancel the transaction (for $1 it wasn't worth it) and the defect disappeared next time the 20th of the month rolled around. I don't know how this defect thing works. If Canada Post has lost your parcel and it was sent expedited there is a $100 insurance coverage on it. So you should get your money back through that if they can't find it and once you refund you might have to tell Canada Post to return it to you and not deliver to addressee as she will then have her refund and her package.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply