Canada Post's strange new pricing.

nan*55
Community Member

Sold a paper product to Australia weighing .240 . Used to send all these items using lettermail.

New price to ship with lettermail = $20.60

New price to ship with Light Packet = $10.46

Makes no sense 😞

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yes, makes no sense. Just shipping a lot using Light Pkts. now. It does add a few days to shipping time but I like being able to print my labels at home. No problems so far.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

That lettermail price cannot be right. I ship to Australia, under 250 grams is about $11 off the top of my head, small packet.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Lettermail has never been good once one went over the 200g mark....nan's price is correct.

Small packet to Australia up to 250g is $10.54 for me.....nan that is probably the way to go.... or light packet..... why they are half price of lettermail, one never knows, one just has to adapt!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

CP's booklet of 2014 shows $20.60 for letter of 201-500 grams and $19.12 for light packet of 251 - 500 grams (both international)

Still does not look logic but at least the difference is smaller.

The price of $10.46 is for light packets with the weight of 151 - 250 grams

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

I have the guide in front of me

The cost I stated is correct

001.jpg

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

If you'll read OP  my items weight is .240

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I see, different weight categories.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
I see, different weight categories.

Yup, that's exactly it!  It's very important now to carefully check your item weight against the chart if it's being sent internationally.  You can get badly dinged otherwise. 

Also notice that two of the letter-post weight categories are stated as "Over ____ g. up to _____ g.", whereas all the Light Packet weights are stated as "Up to____ g").  This can make a big difference.

I just parcelled up an item to England -- squeezed in under the 200g weight (at 195g), the letter-post rate would have been $10.30, but Light Packet is $10.46.  Not much difference in that class, but over 200g and up to 250g is a completely different matter, almost twice the price, as 'Nan' pointed out. 

Where Canada Post is concerned, caveat emptor really applies!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Also notice that two of the letter-post weight categories are stated as "Over ____ g. up to _____ g.", whereas all the Light Packet weights are stated as "Up to____ g").  This can make a big difference.

Rose-dee,

Oh please. Canada Post's hare-brained, if not ludicrous, pricing scheme is bad enough without you reading imaginary anomalies into it.

There is absolutely no difference between the weight categories "Over ____ g. up to _____ g." and "Up to____ g". "Over" means greater than and "up to" means up to and including.

Tom

Message 10 of 10
latest reply