Cancelling an order

I sold an item but when it came to package it,  I found that I no longer had it.    I don't remember selling it,  but must have sold it back sometime ago and failed to remove it from my Turbo Lister File.  I contacted the buyer and explained to them what happened,  made a refund,  and they seemed to be OK with that.   Now if I cancel this order is there any negative aspects to me as a seller,  or should I just leave it alone and let it fade away in time??

Thanks for any comments

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cancelling an order

If you cancel the order, you'll get a FVF refund, but you'll also get a defect for selling an unavailable product. If this isn't going to be a common occurrence then getting a defect a year or something wouldn't affect your account much.

If you leave it alone then you won't get a FVF refund and that's about it.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Theoretically, if you cancel using Buyer Request since you have his permission to cancel, you should be fine with no Defect.
But if the pennies in FVF you won't get back don't bother you,  let it go.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:
If you cancel the order, you'll get a FVF refund, but you'll also get a defect for selling an unavailable product. If this isn't going to be a common occurrence then getting a defect a year or something wouldn't affect your account much.

If you leave it alone then you won't get a FVF refund and that's about it.

I don't know if it's changed but back when the Out Of Stock Defect was a new thing eBay made it quite clear that if you issued a refund for 100% (or even 80%) of the buyers payment it would be considered an out of stock cancellation. That would be regardless if you file a formal cancellation or not.

I suspect this is still the case, if not then any and all sellers would just suck up the fvf portion and never file a cancellation for a seller initiated reason.

Bottom line is that a single OOS defect will have no affect on your account.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply