Confused about auction visibility when selling (because I'm not getting much at all)

Hi folks,

I've noticed my auctions are not getting very many views despite matching the right keywords (I sell painted miniatures for Warhammer so I use things like "Warhammer 40K Painted Army" etc in the titles). 

I list on ebay.ca...I'm starting to wonder if my auctions aren't very visible on the US site or other countries. For example I opened an incognito window and I can't even find my latest auction listing when I search multiple ways. 

Is there like... a setting I'm not aware of that might be limiting my auction listing visibility on other ebay sites? One thing I noticed is when I tried to say "also list on ebay UK" (a checkbox) I couldn't post the listing. It said something about "because you are using managed payments". But I thought we all have to use managed payments via ebay these days?

I'd love any assistance or experiences you guys have in dealing with this! Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Confused about auction visibility when selling (because I'm not getting much at all)

Somebody on Reddit says I was flagged for manual review...although I dont know how they know that and the listing is actually active. And if it was under review why wouldn't it say that in My Ebay. This is really bizarre. Maybe I'm just forced to use BIN instead of auctions. 

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Re: Confused about auction visibility when selling (because I'm not getting much at all)

even though I just posted it

But more than the 24 hours eBay says it may take to appear right?

And with a high value figure, eBay tends to take all their time to index, even with reliable sellers.

And you are selling in a high fraud category.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Yikes I didn't know it was a "High fraud" category!
Anyway, I talked to a representative and yeah I just need to wait longer for it to Index. She said I'm not flagged and no restrictions. I guess I just am not used to it taking more than a few minutes to show up (which is usually how it goes). 

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

PS how do you know it's a high fraud category (honest question). Is that indicated somewhere in the system?

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

You are an occasional seller and those tend not to get as much exposure.

You are selling in a high fraud category.

You are selling high value items, and the $1500 item is the highest price you have asked so far.

Items listed on dotCOM do get more visibility on dotCOM than those listed elsewhere but available to the USA.

Overseas searchers look at dotCOM not at dotCA.

Auctions are basically obsolete.  Less than 15% of listings are auction, and most of those have either Buy It Now or Best Offer attached.

Auctions have only seven days of visibility and get most bids in the last few minutes.

Fixed Price listings have 30 days of visibility and the seller can add Immediate Payment Required, which leaves the listing visible and buyable until someone actually pays.

Listing on dotCOM does get a larger audience.

And the price "seems" lower because the customer sees the price in USD, which is nearly $1.30 in loonies.

As long as you specify shipping to a country, customers in that country will see your listing. But eBay does seem to rotate listings so that we may or may not be visible in any given location on any given day.

Listing on dotCA does allow us to use Calculated Shipping, which is useful for anything travelling Parcel Rates.

My suggestions.

Ditch auctions for FP/IPR.

Use Free Shipping, including your costs for shipping in the asking price.

• For USA/Canada, that's $0.00 Flat Rate shipping while for overseas use the flat rate to Australia.

Include the minimal cost of Signature Confirmation, even when eBay does not require it "for the buyer's protection".

If you add Best Offer to your Fixed Price listing , IPR no longer functions.

If you add Best Offer, set parameters to filter out the lowballing idiots.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Thank you, that's fantastic info. I didn't realize Auctions are basically dead now - I'll follow your guidance!

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

A recent dot com discussion (April 26 - 185 responses) + a youtube video on slow/low traffic (power seller as of April 2023). Does mention that many Canadian sellers have also been seeing similar.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Significant-Drops-in-eBay-Impressions-and-Organic-Page-Views-A...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUVnwXLrBr8

From a personal perspective, my traffic has seen a drastic drop from last month compared to earlier in the year. Expecting another major drop as my last run of promos just ended. Sales have gone from inconsistent to erratic. Unsure if those are the same thing any more. Pretty sure it's not all economy driven. More to do with recent eBay "improvements". (eBay perspective speak)

-Lotz

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Last update - I ended the listing and re-did it from scratch, trying to be careful to pick all the right options...and it worked. It appeared in search minutes later, like it always should have. Now, whether it will SELL is a whole other ball of wax 🙂  Thanks everyone - must have just been a glitch of some sort. 

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

OK I spoke too soon. It was showing up and now it's not. I think Ebay is trying to drive me insane. 

Message 29 of 29
latest reply