Customer is unable to do an OBO and choose local pick up.

They say they can do one or the other but not both. I have changed the listing so it is no longer an OBO but I was surprised by their message.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Customer is unable to do an OBO and choose local pick up.

Did you get this message when you were doing a listing or did a buyer see this when they tried to make an offer?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Did you change the price to the offer amount with immediate payment required?   If so, then that is a better than an offer with payment to follow. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

They saw it when they tried to make an offer. I typically do not do obo offers but I had offered them a lower price because I didn't have to ship the items which is a big time saver for me. I didn't want to list them at the 'sale' price in case someone else bought them so did an obo.

Although I had neglected to change the 'immediate payment required' at that point, I feel like they should have been able to make an offer. We are doing cash on pick up.

Me not changing the immediate payment would have been another issue so at least I fixed that!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Good advice, in hindsight I could have changed the listing to the sale price with local pick up only.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It may have something to do with the new buyer requirements settings. Check to see if your buyer requirements are set to require buyers making offers to authorize payment before they make an offer. I think that ebay checked it off as a default.  When they first started it, some buyers were in a 'test' and were required to do that whether or not the seller had that checked off. That isn't true on .com now but I'm not sure if on .ca it applies to all buyers or just certain ones. According to the info next to that option, is still applies to just some buyers.

This is where you will find the option to require payment before an offer..   https://www.ebay.ca/bmgt/buyerrequirements

devon@ebay 

There is still a note on the buyer management page saying that only some buyers need to provide a payment method before they make an offer.  Does that mean that checking or unchecking that option doesn't matter yet as some buyers will be required to pay first regardless?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

For situations like these, I often let them know that the price is being reduced to the offer amount in a few minutes to give them a heads up, and sometimes I may also create and exclusive listing and jack up the price of the main listing to something silly and give them a bit of time to buy it.    Always with immediate payment!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Check to see if your buyer requirements are set to require buyers making offers to authorize payment before they make an offer. I think that ebay checked it off as a default.

And it was a stupid idea.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It may have something to do with the new buyer requirements settings. Check to see if your buyer requirements are set to require buyers making offers to authorize payment before they make an offer. I think that ebay checked it off as a default.  When they first started it, some buyers were in a 'test' and were required to do that whether or not the seller had that checked off. That isn't true on .com now but I'm not sure if on .ca it applies to all buyers or just certain ones. According to the info next to that option, is still applies to just some buyers.

This is where you will find the option to require payment before an offer..   https://www.ebay.ca/bmgt/buyerrequirements

devon@ebay 

There is still a note on the buyer management page saying that only some buyers need to provide a payment method before they make an offer.  Does that mean that checking or unchecking that option doesn't matter yet as some buyers will be required to pay first regardless?

Hi @pjcdn2005! As we continue to ramp buyers into requiring a payment method before they make an offer on an item sellers as you pointed out have the option in their buyer requirements to check the box requiring immediate payment. As of now not all buyers have been rolled into this meaning even if a seller has elected to require immediate payment on a best offer the buyer will still go through the normal time to pay the seller.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply