Customs Forms

so since im a seller in canada and i want to send an order overseas whats a simple way to make a customs form to declare it. couls i just print out a simple invoice and put it in the pouch and it would be okay? are there any templates for this?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Customs Forms

Go to your local post office.  They will give you the appropriate form for the country you are shipping to.  You will also need to tell them the dimensions and weight of the package, to get the right form.  When you have filled in all the details,  attach it to the outside of the package.  One part peels off, you keep the other for your references.  Be sure to fill in all the details, this is the customs declaration. Good luck.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If you print your label through Paypal, the customs information is included on that so no extra form is needed. Paypal is slightly cheaper than the post office for expedited parcel, tracked packet and xpresspost.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If you are printing your postage through PayPal, you will be prompted to fill out all the info you need when you complete the shipping label.  To find the HS Code, I suggest you use Canada Post:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/personal/findHsCode?execution=e2s1

If you are buying your postage at the Post Office counter for each package, you will be given the appropriate form to complete.  If you prefer to complete them at home, you can ask for a supply of forms.  The customs forms do not depend on the "ship to" country.  Global Customs has been harmonized for years.  These depend on the type of shipping service you use - Light & Small Packet use the same form, Tracked or Expedited parcels have better discounts when purchased through PayPal.  It's always a good idea to include an invoice on the outside of the package, this helps to reduce the chance that Customs may open the parcel for inspection.

There are many threads on these boards regarding customs declarations and the various shipping services offered by Canada Post.  It would be to your benefit to read some of them, and to develop a familiarity with the Canada Post website so you know which services you should use for your products.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

And your items are "other" not sample or documents.

And never never 'gift'.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

As the US is a foreign country, and is considered international, there are different forms for the US and international.  The standard Expedited form from the PO, does NOT work for international packages. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Yes. Other and Merchandise is how I clarify it when prompted. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Fill out the form at home... using Canada Post's form...

Take the form to the Post office  and they will scan it...

Your printer has to print out a very clear image...

Link to

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e1s1

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

There is also a "Small Business" option online.

... the new version of the old Ventureone .... online ...

Fill out the form... pay Canada Post online... and deliver to the post office for a scan.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The Small Business option is usually more expensive than a Paypal label.

If you are printing at home, you do have to factor in the cost of the printer and, more important, the ink.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The cost of a printer and ink is needed to retain a record of each transaction  and associated shipping cost, buyer's payment  and more.....

I thought every eBay seller needed a printer!   as a part of record keeping

Message 11 of 11
latest reply