Did Not See That I Received Feedback

Greetings,

I sold my first item on eBay on April 12th. I did not receive payment. I sent the Buyer a message and received no response. After 7 days I started a Non-Payment case.

Today I get a message that the Buyer paid. That's great right.., or is it?

The Buyer never sent me a message regarding the item. I couldn't figure it out. Every single day I logged into eBay to see if I have received a message from the Buyer, or if I have received payment. Everyday I would see nothing.

Today after shipping the item, I go into my Account settings to update my address information. For whatever reason I happened to scroll to the bottom of the screen. Guess what I see? I see Feedback from the Buyer on April 15th, explaining to me that she can't pay for the item until the 24th due to an unexpected expense.

Smiley Mad eBay, why was I not notified that I received Feedback from the customer????? Why didn't I get an email about it? Why is there not some clear indication about it in the "My eBay" -> Selling -> Activity window? Why is there not a "Message" telling me that I received Feedback? How in the world is a user, new to eBay, supposed to know to scroll to the bottom of the "Account" window in order to find out if they received Feedback or not? Does your business have no comprehension whatsoever of how hard it is to learn the ins and outs of selling items on eBay for the first time? How in the world do you allow such pertinent information to slip by unnoticed?

Now, I agree that had the Buyer contacted me directly it would have helped matters. As well, if I had known to look at the "Icon Legend," I would know that I received Feedback based on the little envelope icon with the blue star above it, LoL. But come on, this is miles away from a clear notification that Feedback was received! I'm not happy about this, because I feel I let my customer down.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

why was I not notified that I received Feedback from the customer?

You did, your feedback number went from 0 to 1.

The place to find payment information is My eBay-> Activity-> Sold. The feedback would also be showing there.

However, I think you should review how to make an Unpaid Item Claim, since your customer has not paid after 10 days and is putting off the payment for even longer.

My personal system is a polite note on Day Three reminding the customer that she has not paid and asking if help is required. If there is no payment, on Day Four I open the Unpaid Item Dispute, which gives her another four days grace.

With that system, you would either have been paid or have your fees back and your item ready to relist for a good paying customer.

The deadbeat meanwhile would have a Strike which would make it harder for her to bid on most listings in future.

Also look on the Site Map at the bottom of this page, click on Manage Bidders and add this deadbeat to your Blocked Bidders list.

Then go to your Seller Preferences and add Blocks against bidders with UID Strikes.

BTW, when you win the Unpaid Item Dispute, that feedback will disappear. Sorry about that. This is protection against negative revenge feedbacks. You won't be able to leave feedback either.

And, to make your day even worse,if she does pay (doubtful), as a new seller her cleared* payment will be held for another 21 days against your good performance.  But you must ship within seven days.

On the third hand, PP will give you a discount on most shipping services if you use their shipping labels and you can take the money for this from the Held payment.

But you are doing some things right! You did make a sale albeit to a deadbeat. Keep on keeping on!

*If she pays from a bank balance her "e-cheque' may not clear and be creditted to you for upwards of ten days.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

And I see that you did get paid and have shipped.

I hope you did track the item. I hope my bad feeling about this is incorrect.

For a $20 item, lunch money, putting off payment is very questionable.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

It's usually not pertinent information, it's just feedback. You had an odd buyer that tried to communicate with you in an unusual way. It's not that hard to see if you've received feedback anyway; it's next to your user name that appears on every page, all over the place. I think you need to calm down and stop blaming eBay for something so trivial. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

For a $20 item, lunch money, putting off payment is very questionable.

It's not. For many, 20 dollars payment might be definitely a real problem.  It happened several times here. People asked me to wait, sometimes weeks to be able to pay just 20-30 dollars. They always paid, and always were nice people. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You want an email for every little thing that happens? No you do not.

In the last month I sold about 100 widgets. I just checked, I have 662 eBay and Paypal emails. 6.6 emails per widget sold.

You are self employed with a single proprietorship business. Sink or swim, you are on your own.

Stamps! If I was closer I would buy you lunch as I got some lunch money this morning.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The Scottish restaurant is fine by me. I 'll take the Happy Meal.

Did you know that if you order the HM, they don't check if you have a kid with you, but if you substitute black coffee for the milk, they won't give you the toy? Poot.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

[You did, your feedback number went from 0 to 1.]

I didn't see it. I am new here, I didn't know what that number meant.

[The place to find payment information is My eBay-> Activity-> Sold. The feedback would also be showing there.]

I don't see any mention of feedback there. None at all. Just the envelope with the little star icon above it, that I had no idea what it meant.

[However, I think you should review how to make an Unpaid Item Claim, since your customer has not paid after 10 days and is putting off the payment for even longer.]

I think you misread my post. The customer has already paid and the item was already shipped prior to me posting above.

[My personal system is a polite note on Day Three reminding the customer that she has not paid and asking if help is required. If there is no payment, on Day Four I open the Unpaid Item Dispute, which gives her another four days grace.

With that system, you would either have been paid or have your fees back and your item ready to relist for a good paying customer.

The deadbeat meanwhile would have a Strike which would make it harder for her to bid on most listings in future.]

Thanks for the advice. My customer was not a dead-beat. I am happy to give people time if they ask for it.  My Buyer has had many good reviews.

[Also look on the Site Map at the bottom of this page, click on Manage Bidders and add this deadbeat to your Blocked Bidders list.

Then go to your Seller Preferences and add Blocks against bidders with UID Strikes.]

Rude.

[BTW, when you win the Unpaid Item Dispute, that feedback will disappear. Sorry about that. This is protection against negative revenge feedbacks. You won't be able to leave feedback either.]

Already paid for and shipped.

Not helpful, but thanks for trying.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

[It's usually not pertinent information, it's just feedback. You had an odd buyer that tried to communicate with you in an unusual way. It's not that hard to see if you've received feedback anyway; it's next to your user name that appears on every page, all over the place. I think you need to calm down and stop blaming eBay for something so trivial.]

I'm new to eBay. I didn't know where to look to see if I have received feedback or not. You have been here for a while, obviously, judging by the fact that you answer questions in the Community forum. You know where to look to see if you have received feedback or not. I didn't.

It's not trivial if I get a bad review on my first sale.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

[It's not. For many, 20 dollars payment might be definitely a real problem.  It happened several times here. People asked me to wait, sometimes weeks to be able to pay just 20-30 dollars. They always paid, and always were nice people.]

I appreciate your attitude. It's a very positive one. My customer was not a "deadbeat."

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

[You want an email for every little thing that happens? No you do not.]

In the last month I sold about 100 widgets. I just checked, I have 662 eBay and Paypal emails. 6.6 emails per widget sold.]

Yes, I do. With the option to disable the feature if it gets annoying. For a new user on eBay, receiving some clear, unavoidable indication that I received feedback would be extremely useful. When I start selling 10+ items a month I'll worry about modifying my settings, if / when they annoy me.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I received an email to mark this message as solved, if it is solved. Unfortunately, no solution has been presented as I doubt that any eBay representative even viewed my complaint.

Not only that, but I don't see any option on the page to mark the message as solved, even if I would want to.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I see it now. It's below the Reply and Quick Reply options. I wonder why I couldn't see it before...
Message 13 of 13
latest reply