Disgruntled seller trying to take revenge over neg - next steps? :)

bodega128
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm an experienced pro seller, and buy and sell a lot on ebay. I rarely have issues with buyers or sellers, but when it happens, I do anything reasonable to avoid a neg (either received or given!). My last neg given was 7mths ago, to a US seller that refused to fulfill my order since it didn't sell high enough, and wasn't even apologizing.

Anyway, here's the story. Purchased an item from a CA seller with a 98.8% fb, description stated "NEW IN THE SEALED PLASTIC PACKAGE." with even pics posted of the seals. $25 shipping seems a bit high for a small $16 item shipped in the same country, but let's see what I get. Also, he had a huge block of "shipping rules" that basically stated it's forbidden to leave him neg feedback. Funny 🙂

Got the item. Postage was around $11 and item was received unsealed (both seals clearly broken). Contents seem new though. Alright, contacted the seller and asked him politely why the item is new open box while it was sold as new, and how he justifies $14 of handling (as a pro seller, if I ever happen to charge more than $2-3 over actual postage+packaging cost, I refund the buyer of that amount). Oh, he didn't like it! 🙂 His answer started by stating I was trying to blackmail him over getting positive fb (which I did not mention) and I was an idiot not understanding he unsealed the package to ensure the contents were in good shape. Well OK, some people have anger management issues... answered him politely that his answer was very rude and condescending and that were making a not-that-good buying experience to a bad buying experience and it was his role to change this (I would have accepted an apology for rudeness and either a very good reason for such high handling costs, or a partial refund if it was a mistake). Well, he answered angrily again 🙂 He basically stated that part of the item cost are in the shipping/handling and ebay didn't care if it was there or in the actual price (hum...wrong...that's a way to avoid paying ebay fees) and that he needed me to tell him what were my positive fb worth (yeah right, I'm the bad guy blackmailing you).

Gave him a week to give a proper, polite, answer, which didn't come. Well fine, I won't open a paypal case for that since it's not worth my time, just leave him a neg with approrioate DSRs (bad comm, item desc, shipping charges, and good shipping time), and move on. Well again, he didn't like that 🙂 He answered my fb and emailed me as well accusing me again of blackmailing him, and used an alternate account (same name and physical address) to purchase an item from my store. Alright, he wants to play... I answered his email telling him I understood his game and that was a risky one (using a 7000+ fbs account to get revenge over a neg given on a 1000+ fbs account) and it was his to correct his attitude, or deal with consequences. He answered that he had no idea what I was talking about, and again, that I was an idiot not following the rules (forbidden to leave him neg, ah ah) and how I wanted him to have the terms of this blackmailing situation be solved.

So, sorry for the super long message, but that siatuation was worth a full explanation. to understand it better. Of course, I used the "report buyer" button to alert ebay. What would you do next? Expect ebay to do the right thing (not sure if I can count on that)? Open a paypal case which would lead to further escalation? Approve him terms (yeah man, I'm an blackmailing ya, gimme da money)? Go dirty and use his methods and let the war begin (nah, can't do that)?

Thanks for your opinions in advance, and hope you enjoyed that story 🙂

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

bodega128
Community Member

Oh, and I didn't mention what to do with the item he purchased with his other account... I'm guessing not to ship itsince I know he will either not collect it and I lose shipping cost, or pretend he didn't receive it (fine, canada post will refund me) or pretend box was empty. Either way, neg would be coming. Yeah, I can do pics or video and stuff of item being packed, but he can still state it was different than ordered, or again, do not collect it. And again - neg coming.

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

Go to battle with an idiot? They will wear you down and beat you with experience. My ex is like that, undiagnosed bipolar. I could argue, rationalize, prove, beg, borrow, steal, all to no effect as her brain was broken.

You are a rational person arguing with the irrational. You will never win. They have no concept of their being wrong. None what so ever. Their bag of "tricks" is bottomless. The best revenge is to say and do nothing. Drives them insane as they need the feedback to fight on.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Yeah, no. I won't battle with him. Not worth my time, and as you mentioned, he's probably experienced with this. Leaving him alone would be my reaction after all that (I didn't include some details, like the fact he accused me in his last email of his own mistakes...but we all know that's just ), but I'm just not too sure what to do with the item he purchased with his alternate account. I don't see any way of winning this (not losing money, and not getting neg), unless ebay decides to look into this and have this sale removed, but if you guys have an idea of what would be appropriate to do, shoot!

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

I cannot see how you can get out of this sale. Refund and the sale is still valid from their end. Buyer can still leave FB.

I had two sales, one day, to the same zip code, last week.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 52
latest reply

I would not complete transaction. You already know this is a headache in the making. Cancel the sale. Block both accounts from buying from you in the future. End of story. It is your right to refuse a sale as a seller.

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

Unwelcome & Malicious Buying Policy

That seller is in violation of this policy.

As a buyer, you're not allowed to bid on or buy an item in order to harm a listing or to leave negative or neutral Feedback or low detailed seller ratings for the seller.

You probably already know that.  If the seller leaves negative feedback for the purchase on his buyer account you would have grounds to have it removed, particularly since you have already reported the buyer.

At least this is the way it should work.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, your account may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

I see you like to discriminate against people that are sick. You should be booted off this discussion forum with that kind of behavior.

In life you have to be compassionate no matter what. I have compassion for your illness.

That seller cares a great deal about his reputation and of course he should do everything he can to protect his hard earn star.

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

I see you like to discriminate against people that are sick. You should be booted off this discussion forum with that kind of behavior.

In life you have to be compassionate no matter what. I have compassion for your illness.

Well, I think Mr. E. has the right to talk about his own ex-wife's behaviour.  

You've completely missed his point that arguing or attempting to reason with someone who displays such behaviour is futile.  I too know this from personal experience, as I'm sure many people do.  That knowledge doesn't lessen my compassion for their problems, but it doesn't mean I have to get entangled in their world of horrors either.  

There are, unfortunately, some people who feed off such interaction, as Mr. E. says, and when you encounter them, as the OP did, it's usually best to remain calm, withdraw as quickly as possible, and move on. 

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Angus? You support and encourage spousal abuse? Only an abuser would understand that logic.

I had to call the Police, twice, when she attacked me.
Photobucket
Message 10 of 52
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This is a friendly reminder to please stay on the topic that was originally posted. Please refrain from using profanity/attempts to disguise profanity and interpersonal disputes. Thank you to everyone for helping to maintain a friendly community atmosphere!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 11 of 52
latest reply

Hi li-leslie.

It seems that Canadian posters are keeping you busy these days! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

A thousand pardons, but, he hit me first.
Photobucket
Message 13 of 52
latest reply

It is the "Gordie Howe syndrome".

Those with grey hair may remember how Gordie would use his elbow very effectively in the corners yet the other guys would draw the penalty because the referee saw the retaliation not the original offence. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

Hi pierrelebel and mr. elmwood,

No one is in trouble and I'm not pointing fingers, I just need everyone to try to stay on topic so I don't have to take any further action 🙂
We just want everyone to get be civil and have a good place for discussion. Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions or concerns.
-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 15 of 52
latest reply

I prefer not to be a tattle-tale, but, thanks. Bet yer shaking yer head: "children".
Photobucket
Message 16 of 52
latest reply

bodega128
Community Member

Oh man, it really went off track 🙂

westernstargifts, the fact that it's a malicious purchase from my seller is a clear fact. Having ebay look into it and take action might be a different story.

Thanks to everyone that answered to the topic. At this point, I'm thinking of waiting for eby to answer to my report (which they probably won't), and if by tomorrow there's still nothing, I'll try call them to explain the situation and see if they are willing to sort it out. And stop all form of communciation with my seller/buyer until I get a formal answer from ebay. Not ship the item at this point. More comments (on-topic, please 🙂 ) would be more than welcome. Thank you again!

Message 17 of 52
latest reply

Hey, he got another neg today, hopefully he'll harass his other buyer now and forget (a little bit) about me.

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

They are probably fighting several battles because they are being picked on by the system. groan

Photobucket
Message 19 of 52
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mr. Elmwood is not being discriminating.  I have experiences with a few people with bipolar, I have to say, "Whew".  It is very tough to deal with anyone with those illness, we cannot win at all, no matter what.  That sickness/illness is sad but is happening.

So when I knew I am dealing with people with that sickness, I have to just ignore them because there is no way to be succeed at any time.  Yes, it is sad but it is a reality.

Message 20 of 52
latest reply