Dispute questions

A seller opened a dispute on day 60 - I thought the limit was 45 days? Anyone can explain?  The item is not even in my history it is so old -just my email. I didn't add tracking because the item is $10 and $10 for postage. Canada post would only offer $78 shipping to S Africa with tracking (Priority) - crazy hey?

Also, another item not received dispute. I offered a refund or to send another one and have no response - should I just let eBay handle it? Will that penalize me at all?

I really wish Canada post would provide an option that has tracking for letter post items at a reasonable rate -SIGH!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Dispute questions

@pspguitar wrote:

A seller opened a dispute on day 60 - I thought the limit was 45 days? Anyone can explain?  The item is not even in my history it is so old -just my email.

There have been recent changes to both paypal and ebay time limits:

45 days changing to 180 days for paypal, or 30 days after estimated delivery time for ebay.

To get the ebay transaction listing page (up to 90 days):

Find the paypal transaction, grab the eBay ID number and use the URL string:

www.ebay.ca/itm/ID-goes-here

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

I didn't add tracking because the item is $10 and $10 for postage.

Step back a moment.

If you refund him-- and if you didn't use Air Mail, he really hasn't received the item and won't for another month or so-- you will be out the $10 cost of postage plus what you paid for the item (which is a lot less than the $10 you sold it for, I hope) and your eBay and PP fees.

So well under $20.

If you don't you get a black mark on your selling account which will in the long run be a lot more expensive than $20.

Refund. Don't offer a replacement, because the orginal item is already on its way and will probably arrive in the New Year. Also offering replacements is getting a Bad Name as an Asian scam.

When you refund, politely ask the buyer to refund the refund WHEN the item arrives. Because most people are honest (if impatient) this has a good chance of working out.

And do your best to stay off eBay's radar when a buyer contacts you with a problem. This new 'defects' system is a witch to deal bith.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

The other interesting "third" way someone may dispute outside of Paypal and EBay's Dispute mechanism s through a credit card chargeback.  I simply phone my credit card company and ask them to withhold payment.  It happened to me recently with no warning - no ebay dispute, no paypal dispute; just a nice letter from paypal saying that my entire original $16 purchase plus a $30 'chargeback fee" had been taken from my account.  Unlike the other two dispute mechanisms, there didn't seem to be any way to fight it.  I did get an email from the buyer saying he was sorry and that he would pay me back, but then nothing ever happened.  Not sure what the statue of limitations is for a chargeback but I think it was over 60 days.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

I agree with you 100%. Most of my items are shipped by lettermail at a cost of $1.80 anywhere in Canada. But if I want to add tracking, then it has to be sent as a regular parcel at a cost of $10-$16 depending on where it is being shipped to in Canada. I too wish that Canada Post would offer tracking on lettermail for a reasonable fee. Many buyers are clueless to the cost to ship with tracking and ask for a tracking number on a $10 item that was shipped for free by lettermail.

It is of no use to escalate the case to Ebay. You will need to provide tracking info as proof you shipped the item.

You can respond and say that you are going to ship another one right away. Then don't ship another one. This will buy some time for the buyer to receive the item that you did ship.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

Same thing happened to me, BIG LESSON I bought 2 items from ebay seller

the first item on 26 April 2015 while the second item was 4 May 2015

After the purchase he/she directly sent email that the delivery time is about 25-35 working days

which I thought rational for international shipping to Australia and still within 45 days of refund policy of ebay ( I thought)

I paid little attention to the text on my "purchase history" that the estimated delivery time is between 1- 8 May 2015

which is 6 - 13 days after purchasing. Yet until today 9 June 2015 ( 44 days ).

The problem is when I try to file dispute to ebay Canada, it told me that the "refund eligibility" is passed on 8 of May (which was les than 2 weeks after purchase).

THIS IS THE WHOLE IN THE EBAY SISTEM. THIS COULD BE EXPLOITED BY SOMEONE

SIMPLI TELL THE BUYER TO WAIT UNTIL HIS/HER REFUND ELIGIBILITY EXPIRED

If any of you have a way to solve this matter please advice me

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

As an addendum to Reallynice's suggestions, if you do refund, I've attached a link to a thread I put up a while ago with some wordings that have traditionally worked well for me to get the buyer to pay after it has arrived..

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/I-haven-t-received-my-item-or-Item-not-received-case-the-... 

I used the word traditionally because this year so far I've not had much luck getting paid again afterward... 😞

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

@muhha4253-ftth9ra1 wrote:

Same thing happened to me, BIG LESSON I bought 2 items from ebay seller

the first item on 26 April 2015 while the second item was 4 May 2015

After the purchase he/she directly sent email that the delivery time is about 25-35 working days

which I thought rational for international shipping to Australia and still within 45 days of refund policy of ebay ( I thought)

I paid little attention to the text on my "purchase history" that the estimated delivery time is between 1- 8 May 2015

which is 6 - 13 days after purchasing. Yet until today 9 June 2015 ( 44 days ).

The problem is when I try to file dispute to ebay Canada, it told me that the "refund eligibility" is passed on 8 of May (which was les than 2 weeks after purchase).

If any of you have a way to solve this matter please advice me

Any reason you didn't start a new message thread instead of tacking on to one from LAST year?

You have 30 days to file item-not-received on eBay after the last date of estimated delivery.

Based on your dates: June 7 should have been the cutoff.

You have 180 days after purchase to file an item-not-received if you paid through PayPal.

So if you paid using paypal you can open a dispute there.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

By the way, I filed a claim through PayPal since eligibility by ebay.ca already passed.
ebay.au is good in handling the second item (listed on ebay.au)
-the estimated delivery time passed (3 june), but ebay.au still open a link for me to claim a refund
-interesting to see how ebay in different country deal a thing differently
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

Thank you for your advice,

I did not aware such things

I filed the claim through paypal

Again hank you

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

I didn't start a new thread cos I didn't realise this is 2014. It is printed grey text on my screen

Apology
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

@ricarmic wrote:

As an addendum to Reallynice's suggestions, if you do refund, I've attached a link to a thread I put up a while ago with some wordings that have traditionally worked well for me to get the buyer to pay after it has arrived..

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/I-haven-t-received-my-item-or-Item-not-received-case-the-... 

I used the word traditionally because this year so far I've not had much luck getting paid again afterward... 😞

Thank you,

such practice displays a genuine intention which will calm a typical buyer

As a matter of fact, I am waiting 3 stuffs from 2 sellers.

- the 1st seller didn't reply my two emails. So I filed the case to paypal and ebay

- The 2nd seller (after 40 days of purchasing) replied me in minutes, offering to arrange a second delivery.

He/she asked me to chose whether to pay twice or send-back the second item if later 2 items arrived.

I replied that I will wait another week then if the item still not arrived, we will arrange the second delivery.

Surely I would agree to pay twice instead of send-back the second item as it will cost me  more efforts.

That's the nature of buyers, at least I; buyers want his/her items asap and in easy way (that's why we buy online),

apology, just saying,,, 🙂

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

It is 40 days after purchase?  Do not accept a replacement.  This seems to be a popular scam especially from China.  Probably the first one was never sent - what makes you think a second one will arrive.  By the time you realize that you are not getting one, it will be too late to file for an Item Not Received.  The seller is probably counting on that - a penny filched is a penny earned.   If it were me, I would immediately contact the seller and request a refund.  Refunds take no time at all to process.  If you do not receive one immediately, file an Item Not Received so that you are within the time limits. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

@muhha4253-ftth9ra1 wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

Thank you,

such practice displays a genuine intention which will calm a typical buyer

As a matter of fact, I am waiting 3 stuffs from 2 sellers.

- the 1st seller didn't reply my two emails. So I filed the case to paypal and ebay

- The 2nd seller (after 40 days of purchasing) replied me in minutes, offering to arrange a second delivery.

He/she asked me to chose whether to pay twice or send-back the second item if later 2 items arrived.

I replied that I will wait another week then if the item still not arrived, we will arrange the second delivery.

Surely I would agree to pay twice instead of send-back the second item as it will cost me  more efforts.

That's the nature of buyers, at least I; buyers want his/her items asap and in easy way (that's why we buy online),

apology, just saying,,, 🙂

You filed a case with both paypal and ebay?  You are not supposed to file a case for the same item with both ebay and paypal...it is supposed to be either one or the other. Hopefully they won't notice.   If you have to escalate the case, you should probably do that on paypal as the ebay.au claim time seems to be the same as it is on .ca. They may have you let you open a claim but you may not be able to 'ask ebay to step in if the seller does not cooperate.

With the second item, I agree with maggie that you should request a refund, not a replacement because it seems to be common that the replacement never arrives.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Dispute questions

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

It is 40 days after purchase?  Do not accept a replacement.  This seems to be a popular scam especially from China.  Probably the first one was never sent - what makes you think a second one will arrive.  By the time you realize that you are not getting one, it will be too late to file for an Item Not Received.  The seller is probably counting on that - a penny filched is a penny earned.   If it were me, I would immediately contact the seller and request a refund.  Refunds take no time at all to process.  If you do not receive one immediately, file an Item Not Received so that you are within the time limits. 

Apparently it is. I will just ask refund. Thank you for the advice

Message 15 of 15
latest reply