Do All Courier Services Charge Broker Fees From Canada To USA

Hello all, I never thought about this much but I was wondering if we sell items from Canada to USA and use courier services like UPS, FedEx or Purolator via eBay Labels, Net parcel or Stallion Express, would those courier services use brokers to clear the shipment and later bill either the buyer or the seller for brokerage fees? Or does the shipping cost initially quoted covers that already. Or do they not need go go through a broker for clearing the goods under $800? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Everything needs to be reported and cleared through US Customs. For almost all carriers there is no charge if there is no duty payable (anything under US$800).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@recped  is right, especially about the $800 duty free allowance which makes much of the question moot.

In any case, it is the Buyer's responsibility to know if their country allows the import of their purchase and what duties may be applicable, not the Seller's.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Reallynicestamps is right. It is the buyers responsibility to know their countries duties and charges at their customs. I've never sent anything to the USA via a courier... But I do buy things that come to Canada via courier by UPS and FedEx, and they always charge a brokerage fee or clearing fee, without fail regardless of the price of the item. Which I'm sure you knew already... But I don't know how it works from here to the USA, but I'm assuming it's the same in reverse because the item has to be clear customs by the courier.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It's considerably different, Canada to USA vs USA to Canada

going in to the US anything under US$800 only requires a casual entry and is free of tax and duty in most cases. From $800 to $2500 it's only a "casual" entry.

Going the other direction anything over $20 (maybe it's $40 now) requires a formal customs entry which will always involve GST/HST collection so carriers are almost always laying out cash and thus charge brokerage fees.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Where does the $150 duty free allowance for imports from the USA*? Is the $40 you mention the tax free allowance?

* And possibly Mexico since this is a CUSMA /NAFTA agreement.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Where does the $150 duty free allowance for imports from the USA*? Is the $40 you mention the tax free allowance?

* And possibly Mexico since this is a CUSMA /NAFTA agreement.

Yes, the $150 is for duty and only applies to personal imports AT a border crossing (but I might be wrong on the details).

My experience, especially in the last decade or so is with commercial import/export, not really up on the personal import side of things.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I don't think so because the duty free for border crossinghas been $200 for several years, perhaps decades.

The $150 duty free was, as I understand it, for imported shipments including postal and couriered.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Canada Post duty and tax free limit is officially C$20 for casual imports, including those from CUSMA countries. 

For other carriers, the tax-free limit for casual imports is officially C$40 and the duty-free limit is C$150.  It may be lower for non-CUSMA countries, I'm not sure.

Many consumer goods are duty-free anyway.  After all, the purpose of duty is to protect local industry, and Canada doesn't have a lot of that.  Anybody remember Seanix Technology?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply