Do US buyers get customs/duty/import fees when purchasing from Canada?

I am starting selling again on eBay after a few years off. In the past, I've never had a US buyer get hit with customs or duty or import fees etc. Is this still the case? Do I risk having an angry customer by sending to the US and having them get hit with import duty fees etc? I'm not part of the GSP & I sell toys. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

marnotom!
Community Member

"Internet tax" has been a thing for all online purchases--not just those on eBay--made by US buyers for a few years now.  eBay charges and collects the taxes on the transaction, while you pay Final Value Fees based on the entire transaction value, which means the taxes you never see is included in that.

You may get the occasional US buyer who's not in the loop questioning why they're getting charged sales tax on a purchase from Canada, and your response would be something along the lines of that it's the venue (eBay) that's charging the tax, not the seller.

As far as duty goes, the duty-free exemption for items sent by mail to a US address is still US$800.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

That's extremely helpful, thank you!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

eBay charges/collects/remits State Sales Tax from US buyers.

Import duties only apply to shipments exceeding US$800 (in theory) but in practice only shipments declared at more than US$2500 which require a formal customs entry will ever get dinged for duty and then only if the goods are made in a country other than Canada or Mexico (NAFTA 2.0).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply