Do low feedback buyers have Buyer Protection?

So I sold an item to a member with low feedback (less than 10) and they're saying the item hasn't arrived. There's no tracking because it was not a high value sale. I'm wondering, if the buyer opens up an "Item Not Received" case, will ebay side with them even though they are a relatively new user and possibly trying to scam me?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member
eBay doesn’t use feedback as an assessment tool for anything.

If you can’t provide satisfactory evidence to eBay that a buyer’s claim of non-delivery is bogus, you won’t prevail in the claim.

Most scammers have the brains not to file bogus non-delivery claims for inexpensive items, so you’ve got that running in your favour.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Yes, eBay gives everyone the same Buyer Protection. They are always wanting new buyers to jump onboard and (assuming there are more good people than bad) everyone has to start somewhere.

Your protection as a seller against INR cases is to have proof of delivery, if you didn't because it was a low value sale at least you won't be out too much money.

If you haven't done so already ask the buyer if they wouldn't mind waiting just a few days longer. Sometimes new buyers don't realize how long items can take especially with extended times we've had to deal with lately.

Also not sure if it was going to the US as there have been all kinds of cases lately of sellers getting their envelopes returned to them since Canada Post has been cracking down on what used to be okay to send as oversize lettermail and are being told it must now travel as small package.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I guess you don't sell often since you have made your feedback private.

Sellers are not allowed to have private feedback.

Most active sellers report less than one percent of sales going bad, for any reason. That's why we can afford, both emotionally and money-wise, to have the occasional "low value" transaction fail.

Leaving a "false positive" feedback for a buyer will cause more damage to a seller's account than either sending  a refund or a negative from a buyer.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The only reason a buyer would not have buyer protection is multiple sellers have reported them for scamming. eBay will then remove them from the buyer protection program. I have no idea what equation eBay uses to determine whether to remove a buyer. Based on what I've seen, I would guess that accounts that are newer and have more reports in a short period of time are more likely to be removed. I have seen some buyers who based on their feedback consistently have problems with sellers on a regular basis, and they are not removed. My guess would be because their accounts are 5+ years old, it takes more for them to get nerfed by eBay.

If you sent via Canada Post Lettermail, it isn't out of the ordinary for a package to take 3-4 weeks, sometimes longer. The thing you have to understand about Lettermail is that it isn't consistent like Expedited. Usually, if I send something within my own city it will take 2-3 days to get delivered. That doesn't mean it cannot end up taking 2-4 weeks in a worst case scenario.

Additionally, if it is going to BC, there is a much greater chance this is a genuine delay. BC has had some issues with delays over the last few months. I think I received more INRs or inquiries about late packages from BC in the last 2 months than I have received in the last 3 or so years. (Still a small number)

In my experience, most lettermail INRs are due to delayed packages. I know this, because more often than not a buyer will close the INR when it arrives, or they will contact me to pay back the refund when it arrives. While most INRs are genuine delayed packages, there are rare cases where I look at the buyer's feedback profile, and it's obvious they are a scammer. It does happen, but it's not common. It also isn't as common with new accounts. Usually, new accounts don't know how eBay buyer protection works and do not know that they can abuse the system to get a refund for an untracked item. 

If your listings have Canada Post Lettermail as the shipping method, you should consider changing it to Economy Shipping. eBay's Lettermail shipping estimate is not realistic since it is based Canada Post's lettermail estimate, which is not guaranteed, and therefore not always accurate. Changing to the generic Economy Shipping method gives a more accurate shipping window to the buyer. Some buyers don't understand that with an untracked item, the expected delivery date is an estimate. If the item doesn't arrive by this date, they assume something is wrong and that it is lost. Which is why advertising a shipping method with a longer delivery window helps stop INRs. Your item arrives before the expected delivery date.

Let the buyer know that their package was already sent, and apologize for Canada Post not delivering it before the estimated delivery date. If they haven't opened an INR case, I would politely ask them if they could wait a little bit longer before doing so because it is very likely to arrive. If they open an INR, refund by the deadline, and politely request that they either refuse the package when it arrives or message you to pay back the refund. 

Once an INR is opened for an untracked item, you should refund before the deadline. If you don't, eBay will refund the item, and you will get a defect. Refunding yourself increases the odds that a customer if they are genuine will pay you back when the item arrives. It also keeps your account defect free. 

INRs almost never happen if your listings are set up properly to give the customer a fair shipping estimate, and if you communicate with the customer when your item is sent. Ignoring the increase from BC, the average I'd say is lower than 1 percent. Maybe close to half a percent. Of course, this is category dependent. Some categories might have a higher rate of fraud than others, which will raise the INR rate. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

New buyers often are used to Amazon and expect delivery in a day or two.  I had a similar one recently but thankfully had indicated economy from outside the US, which as an outside time frame for delivery of 23 business days.  Things almost always get there sooner that though.

I have to think that if under 10 feedback could be denied INR claims, that would be a loophole for crooks to abuse the heck out of.  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I have to think that if under 10 feedback could be denied INR claims, that would be a loophole for crooks to abuse the heck out of.

Yes.

Given that new buyers are likely to be attracted by too good to be true pricing, scammers would make a nasty little fortune refusing refunds on goods that were never sent.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Quick points:

Buyers are all equal in the eyes of eBay.

If you can't prove your item was delivered then you're out of luck.

Look for a thread in these forums that explains cookie jar insurance. It comes in handy.

In addition, know that any posts you make where you accuse  one of your customers of being a potential scammer can be read by one and all. This will bite you in the ass later. 

As a buyer, I use people's feedback to help me decide if I should purchase from a seller or not. No feedback shown means I'm looking elsewhere.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Ya gotta remember that we were all low feedback buyers once.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 9 of 9
latest reply