Do not use Fedex...

I used FedEx before and had no problem and they are usually 2-3 dollars cheaper than Canada Post when shipping to major cities. This morning I was just putting my recent orders into my spreadsheet and found out that one of the orders has weird numbers. I checked and found out I was charged 45 bucks for the shipping. I got back to my email and dig up the old information... I was quoted 17 dollars when I purchased the Fedex label through eBay and now it has increased. I contacted eBay and the reps told me the weight is 14 times heavier than what I put in when Fedex scanned the Package...

The item is an EVGA 3060 xc graphics card and I am sure Nvidia will be shocked to find out their video card is over 14kg..

Well, going through the dispute process now and hope I can get my credit back

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Do not use Fedex...

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@aviatorsparadise wrote:

I took a look through my latest shipments and found a fedex one that had a large fee added. Original shipping estimate was $27, the actual charged rate was $64. Two other fedex shipments came in as actually cheaper than the estimate. In all 3 cases the fedex weight shown was far higher than the actual package weight was... I contacted eBay and the chat agent opened up a dispute on the charge easily enough.

Just have to watch this in future. Its a shame, I much prefer fedex's service and their drop off location compared to Canada Post.

@aviatorsparadise 

@treasuresleuthbc 

@toronto_tuttle 

devon@ebay Can you look into this please? Sellers need to be have the correct (accurate) shipping amounts invoiced to buyers before they pay. After is too late.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I can have this looked into and reviewed by the Shipping team. 

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Before you seek legal action, its best to keep in mind that it is not a consistant thing. I've had several shipments where they charged LESS than what was originally estimated.

On my shipment that was overcharged, they decided it was in a more remote area which they added a remote location fee. This is squarely on eBay and its calculator because locations being remote are well known in advance. Others have had different issues relating to weight or dimentions being measured wrong which is on Fedex. So unless you plan on adding every single possibility to your case, it could easily get tossed with them providing evidence its an exception not a rule.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@aviatorsparadise wrote:

I took a look through my latest shipments and found a fedex one that had a large fee added. Original shipping estimate was $27, the actual charged rate was $64. Two other fedex shipments came in as actually cheaper than the estimate. In all 3 cases the fedex weight shown was far higher than the actual package weight was... I contacted eBay and the chat agent opened up a dispute on the charge easily enough.

Just have to watch this in future. Its a shame, I much prefer fedex's service and their drop off location compared to Canada Post.

@aviatorsparadise 

@treasuresleuthbc 

@toronto_tuttle 

devon@ebay Can you look into this please? Sellers need to be have the correct (accurate) shipping amounts invoiced to buyers before they pay. After is too late.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I can have this looked into and reviewed by the Shipping team. 

Thanks devon@ebay , In the meantime how should sellers proceed if they are being excessively overcharged? Possibly find alternate means of shipping until this is resolved?

-Lotz

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@aviatorsparadise wrote:

@aviatorsparadise 

@treasuresleuthbc 

@toronto_tuttle 

-Lotz

Thanks devon@ebay , In the meantime how should sellers proceed if they are being excessively overcharged? Possibly find alternate means of shipping until this is resolved?

-Lotz

@lotzofuniquegoodies If this is a frequent occurnace I would recommned using other shipping methods.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@aviatorsparadise wrote:

@aviatorsparadise 

@treasuresleuthbc 

@toronto_tuttle 

-Lotz

-Lotz

@lotzofuniquegoodies If this is a frequent occurnace I would recommned using other shipping methods.

devon@ebay 

The main issue with this is the seller finds after the fact, out only when the shipment is delivered. From my understanding of these situations there is little in the way of what exactly caused the revised invoice. (Revised charge to the seller with no clear reasoning why.) When this does happen to a seller it makes it a very difficult pill to swallow because there is no way for the seller to recover these costs. (The 1 or 2 times I had this happen in the past when I was using  Shippo/CP (4 years) I got an actual invoice from Shippo explaining that it was a re-weigh. It was only a few cents (Canadian) so not a major shortfall.) 

Does eBay have a process for appealing these situations? 

-Lotz

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Chat to the eBay support chat and they can open an appeal for you.

I just recieved the results for my appeal submitted Dec 27th so its not a quick process. They ruled it in my favour and refunded the difference between the quoted price and actual price.

So for now I will continue to use Fedex when cheaper but will keep a close eye on the charges in case they try to sneak another one through! It wouldn't be so bad if it was a couple of bucks most of us would let it slide but when its over $30 its kinda obvious!

Message 26 of 26
latest reply