Does eBay want us to sell things? The latest New Listing Tool nonsense

I've just tried to list a typewriter for sale. After spending time entering all the information I came to Shipping, only to find Domestic Shipping gave me a choice of Lettermail only (for a typewriter!) and International Shipping (US) gave me a choice of Priority International at a cost of $$$hundreds. Neither one let me choose the usual and preferred shipping service, Expedited Parcel. so I had to abandon the listing. This on top of watching a listing end at $100.01, only to find in Order Details a bit later the selling price was $120.50! The bugs and general kludginess of the New Listing Tool are bad enough, but when you can't even specify the correct shipping method the whole thing becomes hopeless. What on earth is eBay thinking??

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

When using the new listing format,there are multiple methods of shipping. When I look at the Domestic shipping section this is what is shown:

Select up to 4 domestic shipping services for your listing:

Economy Services: Lettermail/Economy Shipping/Fedex Economy
Standard services: Regular Parcel/Standard shipping/UPS standard/Fedex ground
Expedited services: Expedited parcel
Express services: Xpresspost/Express shipping/CP Priority/UPS expedited Canada/Fedex 2 day/Fedex First overnight/Fedex Priority overnight/UPS express Canada/UPS Exprerss Saver Canada

For International shipping services, the options are again a multitude of choices.

I have never used the new listing page "from scratch" =  for new listings I apply "Sell Similar" from one of my other listings and just edit everything as needed.
The new listing format requires a seller to be very diligent and go line by line check & re-check and the shipping section must be very tactfully processed:

= one must either click on the 3 little dots (that appear when you hover mouse over the current shipping method) to add or delete or go directly to "+" and click on the "+", click on the "Clear All" and  make the changes, click "Apply", then fill in the amount for the shipping costs.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:
When using the new listing format,there are multiple methods of shipping. When I look at the Domestic shipping section this is what is shown:

Select up to 4 domestic shipping services for your listing:

Economy Services: Lettermail/Economy Shipping/Fedex Economy
Standard services: Regular Parcel/Standard shipping/UPS standard/Fedex ground
Expedited services: Expedited parcel
Express services: Xpresspost/Express shipping/CP Priority/UPS expedited Canada/Fedex 2 day/Fedex First overnight/Fedex Priority overnight/UPS express Canada/UPS Exprerss Saver Canada

@mrdutch1001 

The reported issue is that for Canadian sellers who ship with the app to USA, CP shipping services have gone bye bye. It's being worked on but no tentative timeline for its repair. Some sellers are seeing USPS as an option.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sorry, Know nothing about that...

I know nothing about "apps" = I am a desktop computer person and would never ever use a mobile device(cell phone or its equivalent thereof) for any aspect of online selling or buying.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Sorry, Know nothing about that...

I know nothing about "apps" = I am a desktop computer person and would never ever use a mobile device(cell phone or its equivalent thereof) for any aspect of online selling or buying.

I won't either. The ebay goal appears to go towards app as being the go to. Many established sellers may you a bit of both. But from my experience most prefer using a pc from start to finish. See everything nice and clean.  Only am getting a grasp of the app from what I've been told from the many I've tried to assist. The number of times I've heard there is this or that on the PC vs app boggles my mind. Makes app sound like no comment...sorry that's to my mind.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I know all this. I've listed many items successfully both from scratch and using a template. The point is that this time I had only one bizarre choice for Domestic and another bizarre choice for International. I'm diligent. The new listing tool isn't.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I use a laptop, not the app, so I guess the nonsense has migrated. Simple solution: I won't list anything until it's fixed.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@aramatic wrote:

I know all this. I've listed many items successfully both from scratch and using a template. The point is that this time I had only one bizarre choice for Domestic and another bizarre choice for International. I'm diligent. The new listing tool isn't.

Not sure if this will make you feel better or worse but here goes.... Australia Site

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Technical-Issues/New-listing-tool-not-showing-all-postage-options/m...

-Lotz

In totally unrelated news:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/eBay-Announcements/We-re-improving-eligibility-criteria-for-eBay-Pl...

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Okay I started a listing to see what happened.
Slightly bemused that typewriters come under Collectibles- Pens and Writing Instruments.

But when you get to Domestic Shipping there is a dropdown for Small and Medium items that also allows Freight and Local Pickup.

Then you can delete the Lettermail and go instead on another bloody popup to Economy Standard or Express.

I chose Economy then at the bottom of the bl... dang popup there is Calculate Shipping

Yay!

I had also filled in some random numbers in the dimensions and weight so that was what the next dang popup was working with.

Those turned up in the pop up but it only showed Parcel or padded envelope. I guess that's okay for a typewriter- but no other kinds of envelopes are mentioned. The link leads to a dotCOM page.

Onward.

My postal code.

Destination - choose domestic or international.

I went with domestic and no address (Now there's another stupidity. How are we supposed to know if the typewriter is going to  across town or to Tuktoyaktuk?  Sheesh.)

Then Done and on to what services are available and the rates (from -to ) . I chose Expedited. There's a bunch more there but it's pretty straight forward.

Back to the main shipping section and apparently we can add other domestic services. I think that is a bad idea but YMMV.

Now.

International.

Choice of USA or International so let's do USA first.

And I managed to delete it but let's keep trying.

Choose Calculated because : duh!

Choose Standard International and click on Calculated at the bottom of the page (noting in passing there is still that premium charge for UK)  and a new frigginn popup.

Destination->Looks like there are only three choices but it turns out to be a scrolling menu- I hate this form with the rage of ten thousand novas. -> Chose Europe. Okay Chose Australia. Europe disappears !!!!!! Chose Japan-> Australia disappears.

Onward -> next we get a Choice of services - up to five apparently but only three are on the screen. Chose Expedited although anyone who would pay $500 to ship a typewriter I have priced at $100 is a suitable case for treatment.

Still can't retrieve US shipping and there is no preview to check if I am shipping to Europe, Australia, and Japan which was my experimental intent.

Did not post, since I don't have a typewriter in any case.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Art mirroring life!! Definitely sounds like eBay and how they take credit/accept fault for any issue.

Current eBay status page

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1668095210585.png

-Lotz

PS. The typewriter you did not post,  is on the way!!! Due to current available shipping options, some assembly will be required.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply