Dont trust eBays timelines

We are a seller, and had a package that was taking longer then expected due to covid and xmas. The seller opened a claim, and it was put on hold for 15 days. As per the request, we had until Jan20th to deal with it.  I come in January 20th, open my messages the the case has been closed in favor of the buyer, causing us to receive a defect!. I spoke with eBay, and they stated there is nothing they can do about it, and basically, DEAL WITH IT!. 

How does this make any sense. We had until the 20th to deal with it! but they close it before causing us to receive a defect. 

BEWARE TO ALL, if eBay states you have until a specific time to deal with a request, YOU DO NOT. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

marnotom!
Community Member

Grammar sites that I've checked seem to agree that the use of "until" in this context is ambiguous; "until" could or could not mean that the date given is included in that timeframe.

If someone told you that they'd be working on the sewer lines in your neighbourhood until the weekend, you would assume that they would not be doing work on the weekend.  It's not so clear when a date is given.  It looks as though you defined "until" as "up to and including January 20th" while eBay defined "until" as "up to 12:00:01 AM, January 20th."

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

EBay is not your friend : eBay is your landlord.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Normally if they say that you can close it by a specific date they don't close it until the following day so that would be frustrating if they closed it early.

Was the buyer in the US or Canada? If they happened  to purchase the item on .ca then everything is done by eastern time so if you are in BC and went to close it on the 20th at 10pm it was Jan 21  1 am est. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply