Drafts mysteriously disappearing

A strange phenomenon is happening tonight.

I was working on a bunch of drafts and, in two separate instances, as I was selecting specific drafts to edit I noticed one of the drafts had mysteriously disappeared. (When I say "one of the drafts", I mean a completely separate draft in each case). These aren't old drafts that were past the 30 day limit either; they were created tonight.

Thankfully, both drafts were in the very early stages of creation, so the effect of their loss was minimal and I was able to easily re-create them in seconds.

As of now, all my drafts are present and accounted for. I'm going to bed shortly, so let's hope I don't wake up tomorrow with more drafts missing.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

There is a maximum number of Drafts one can have saved at any given time, or they start overwriting the others. Are you at or near 250?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I have 53 drafts.
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Well, then that cannot be the reason.

I recall the max for Drafts is 250 and they expire after 30 days.

I have trust issues with Drafts too. Not that mine vanished as did yours but they timed-out when I was trying to save them. 

I wonder if scheduling (and then revising) a listing is a less buggy alternative to Drafts. You'd be publishing it but postponing it going live so that you could work on it in the meantime. Of course, that only works if you're able to complete all the required areas. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

There is a maximum number of Drafts one can have saved at any given time, or they start overwriting the others. Are you at or near 250?

Why 250? I understood from various topics I read on eBay.com and here on eBay.ca during a weekly chat with Raphael that the limit if you subscribed to eBay Selling Manager was 5000 drafts.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

It's not 5000. Ask musicyouneed, that user got badly burned by this. I call the number 250 as the max for Drafts.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Can you do a search? I have to run now and I won't be back until the evening. This was an issue that spread over a couple of Weekly Chats with Raphael. Musicyouneed followed the first direction and then hit a wall, lost a bunch of work, and then came back the next week or week after to ask the reason. It was around the CAD USD time so maybe June or July? Let me look quickly if I can. 

edit: Message 6 http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Well-that-is-just-great/m-p/352206#M68927 for most recent

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I'm assuming that it was just a bug. I plan on tinkering around with some of my drafts today, so we'll see how things go. If I remember to, I'll report back with whether or not more drafts get sucked into a black hole.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

This doesn't look right: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/unfinishedlisting.html

The above is for sellers who use My eBay and do not use Selling Manager.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Can you do a search? I have to run now and I won't be back until the evening. This was an issue that spread over a couple of Weekly Chats with Raphael. Musicyouneed followed the first direction and then hit a wall, lost a bunch of work, and then came back the next week or week after to ask the reason. It was around the CAD USD time so maybe June or July? Let me look quickly if I can. 

edit: Message 6 http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Well-that-is-just-great/m-p/352206#M68927 for most recent

Here is the weekly session where raphael and musicyouneed discuss drafts. Raphael had given musicyouneed 5000 as the number of drafts and musicyouneed found 250 to be the limit. The issue was never fully resolved. griff from eBay.com had stated 250 in his weekly session.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/July-13th-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/344083

I even had a post saying I was surprised it was 250.

So I do not know what the limit is.

I did google searched for about 15 minutes trying to find information on drafts and nothing came up other than very old topics (I then used the past year date filter on google search to get rid of old topics). I am perplexed why there is no actual number listed anywhere in eBay help files or the seller center.

We could ask raphael again but he asked the developer of the drafts tool and got 5000. So I doubt he can provide better information.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Thank you. That's exactly the thread I meant. (I'm replying from the passenger seat of my car.)
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I've been working with a large chunk of my drafts this afternoon and, so far, nothing has gone missing. At this point, unless other drafts start to disappear, I'm going to chalk it up to a temporary glitch on eBay's end that (thankfully) caused very little harm on my end.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Hi MJ, as you know I had a big issue with drafts.  According to Raphael you can have more than 250, he had over 5,000.  

draftslimt.jpg

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Thank you.

How is it possible that he could have 5000+ and you could only keep 250? What explanation did he give you for yours disappearing?

And why is it unclear on Help pages how many we can have? Should that not be, like, the second piece of information made available?

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Or was there a difference between how many listings you could use in Drafts as part of the Migration Tool versus just having in Drafts of listings that had nothing to do with using the Migration Tool? 

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I don't know why mine kept falling off after I hit the 250 mark.  I never got an explanation that I understood why I could only keep 250.  on .com same thing, they said it was more than 250.  So I don't know.  I sent him an email but I never heard back. 

com drafts.jpg

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Very interesting. Thank you for clarifying this. 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Your welcome, I guess I am special, I can only save 250 drafts and my ghost listings that only show up on the website they are listed on even though I over shipping all over the world.  No clear answer for either of those.  

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Yeah. I was one of the sellers giving away postage for free a few weeks ago due to some weird cart error. 

Some things never make sense.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply