Driving over the Border from Canada

Hi All,

I live 10 mins from the US border.   I was wondering if anyone can share what to expect crossing to mail items.   They are low value around 25 dollars per package of merchandise.    I would be mailing no more than $200 total value each time crossing over.  

Thanks,

Joe

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

It used to be much easier, now you need to submit your paperwork using CBP's ACE system.

If you'd like to know more, ask or do a forum search.  It seems daunting at first but isn't difficult once you're set up.

The biggest drawback is you'll pay $14 USD every time you cross (unless you're prepared to by a yearly pass for $500).

Depending where you live you may want to investigate US shipping services from Canada like ChitChat, they charge a small fee and handle the rest.

Ian

Ian

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have heard of chit chat before. Do you know of any other companies like this in Vancouver/Lower Mainland Area?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Chitchatexpress bought out bookstotheborder a few years ago. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

--- A special permit is required to carry parcels across the Canada-US border and deliver the parcels to the USPS.

--- Special paperwork will be required each time one crosses the border.

And then two things NOT mentioned before.....

(1) A Canadian passport.

(2) No criminal record, no matter how small.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Go to the Chit Chat website for more info. There are two full service branches in Richmond and Surrey, and 3 drop off sites in Vancouver, Burnaby, and North Shore.

Since you live 10 minutes from the border, I assume Richmond (9:30 am to 7 pm Monday to Friday) or Surrey (9:30 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday) would closest.

I never used Chit Chat Express because they came to Vancouver in the past 3 years or so after I stopped selling 3-4 years ago on my other eBay ID which I closed last week.

Ironically the drop off location on Underhill Ave in Burnaby is in the same building 3 doors down where my wife’s business is located today. I saw their truck pulling up almost daily out the back door whenever I went to help her out and asked the driver what he was doing here! LOL. If I known I could have easily used them. But I stopped selling on eBay because of eBay constant changes making it so hard on sellers today.

For the curious, my old selling ID was poco..... This ID was my personal buying and occasion selling ID. Low feedback and activity over the years.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Letter lock is pretty good, they have a location in Abbotsford and Sumas. Only catch is your first usps scans are delayed due to cross border time, sometimes exceeding handling times.  They also do full service single item to pallet load from Sumas to Abby or the other way. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply