Ebay Canada Sales to US - USPS Labels with US Return Address?

I'm tired of refunding US SNADS without a return because shipping is too expensive to Canada. There's too many buyers out there that milk this. I know most of them that are provided with a label will just return a widget instead of the item they want to keep, but I want to test out how many won't.

My question is... if I'm a Canadian seller that uses USPS to ship via a Canadian 3rd party courier (ChitChats) - can I have items returned to a US address instead of my Canadian address? That will cost me $3.49 instead of $14.25. And if so, is that an easy thing for us to do online?
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I'd ask chitchat if they can handle occasional returns before you do anything else.

Although- frankly, I'd rather demand a return knowing that my forwarder would not be willing to send it on to me than allow specious Not As Described refunds.

On the basis that at least some of those NADs are trying to finagle a freebie and will be discouraged when they are told to use the label to return the disputed thingy.

Not that they will return a "thingy" but that they will drop the entire dispute.

I should mention that: I almost never have this kind of dispute, well under 1% of transactions and that I am a storyteller by nature.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes you can have it sent to a different address.  You should be able to change your return address in account-- addresses.   I'm not sure if it automatically applies to all current listings.  

Nirmally automatic return labels are only sent if both buyer and seller are in the US.  I don't know if the label would be automatic if your return address is in the US and you are in Canada.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I can't see a way to do a return label on ebay...it only allows an upload of a .JPG file under the "Upload your own label" selection. Does anyone know how to generate a return label independently of eBay (I've heard of people using Shippo)? Can I use the USPS website since it's US address to US address?

Also, is it legit if the return address is in the US even though it was shipped from Canada on the CAD website? I would think as long as the return is "delivered" eBay shouldn't care where it's going, right?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yoiu should be able to have them returned anywhere you like.

I haven't looked recently but there used to be an address for returns in your eBay Site Preferences.

Yes it's still there (here):

https://accountsettings.ebay.ca/uas/addresses

That would work automatically if eBay is providing the return label. If you are providing the label then you can use whatever address you want.

Doesn't ChitChats have a process for returns using there US address? They do for Ontario but I don't know what they have for the west coast.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I figured out how to enter the US Return address in ebay, but because I don't see a way to utilize it. Is it because I didn't purchase the label through ebay, so I can't automatically generate a return label through eBay? I'm confused.

In return details, my only selection option is to upload a .jpg of a label and enter the carrier name/tracking (or send it separately, or not send one at all).

ChitChats has a "return to sender" address, but does not facilitate returns - so there is no way to purchase a return label through them.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:

I can't see a way to do a return label on ebay...it only allows an upload of a .JPG file under the "Upload your own label" selection. Does anyone know how to generate a return label independently of eBay (I've heard of people using Shippo)? Can I use the USPS website since it's US address to US address?

@dinomitesales  had mentioned Pirateship will accept Canadian credit cards (you might also find the video they linked useful. They don't have monthly fees so that might be the best option. If you don't have a US address to ship it back to you might take a look at their simple export rate program. That enables Asendia for your account which may be cheaper to use than USPS if you are sending returns back to Canada. Every USPS label provider can do return postage, it's just a question of whether they charge monthly fees or not really. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes if the seller is paying for shipping it's allowed to have the package sent to a different address/country than where it was sent from.

Normally when a snad is opened and both buyer and seller are in the US a return label is generated on the buyers end...the seller doesn't have to send it.  That should happen even if the original label was not purchased on eBay.  Since you are registered on ,ca, I don't  t know if it will work that way.  Now that you've set up the US address, I guess the next time a snad is opened you will have to find out if the buyer sees a link to print a label.

if you aren't able to get the return label on eBay you might want to look into signing up on stamps.com or pirate ship as they also charge the commercial usps rate.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply