WWYD re combined payments?

I had someone buy 3 CD's seperately within a couple of seconds.  They did not use the cart on ebay to take advantage of combined shipping discount.  I specifically have shown on my listings how to get combined shipping.  Also when you look at the shipping costs, up top, it shows that combined shipping is in this case $1.00 more.  They would have saved about $10.   I am going to send them all in one envelope.  They are relatively new 37 feedback and have never left feedback for anyone.   WWYD, would you refund $10, or just leave it. 

combined shipping.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

hlmacdon
Community Member

My standard is to refund the excuess minus the costs incurred. Mobile users don't read or care unfortunately, but I've yet to hear anyone complain about receiving an adjusted refund.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Buyers Don't Read.

If he paid the (accidentally inflated ) price without complaint, he is happy with the price.

However, if you can with little effort make a small refund for the combined shipping, it will never make the buyer angry.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

There are lots of reasons why this happens, well you know that which is why you have explicit instructions in your listings. It's not always buyer "error".

In any event.

Generally I take the amount of the discount according to my (unspecified) formulae, knock off 15 - 20% and that's what I refund to the buyer.

If (rare but happens) I've already quoted a specific combined shipping discount to the buyer I would stick with it.

So $5 for the first, $2 each additional, you buy them all sperately, when you buy three ($15) you get $5 back not $6.

I'm still losing theoretical pennies but so what, it all comes out in the wash and I made a multi-item sale (and those buyers tend to come back for more).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I had someone buy 3 CD's seperately within a couple of seconds.  They did not use the cart on ebay to take advantage of combined shipping discount.  I specifically have shown on my listings how to get combined shipping.  Also when you look at the shipping costs, up top, it shows that combined shipping is in this case $1.00 more.  They would have saved about $10.   I am going to send them all in one envelope.  They are relatively new 37 feedback and have never left feedback for anyone.   WWYD, would you refund $10, or just leave it. 

combined shipping.jpg

Many buyers think everything happens automatically. Unless it is substantial(terribly off) I double think refunding. There is always the concern with some buyers choosing to believe that you are overcharging and you can risk a low tsr or neg/neutral feedback feedback from a difficult buyer. Let your spidey senses rule. When you have it your  official disclaimer you've done your part.

-Lotz

PS. Why I so very miss the field for special instructions to buyers that was removed. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Generally one can only count on the buyer reading the description title, anything beyond that is a bonus. (I've even had examples where they didn't read the title!)

When my international buyers overpay (north america is generally free shipping so I don't do anything in those cases) I refund the difference.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply