Ebay Managed Payment amounts to 27% in Fees!

I recently sold an item on Ebay Canada, the item itself listed for $274.95 Cnd + Mailing $58.75 Cdn. for a total of $333.70 Cdn.
$282.96 Cdn was deposited in my bank account + $39.25 Cdn will be withdrawn for mailing from my bank account.
$333.70 - $282.96 = $50.74 +  $39.25 = $89.99
$89.99 divided by $333.70 = 27%

There are also these tax fees & numbers that Ebay Reps do not have the answers for when all is calculated.
Previously Ebay Fees & PayPal payments consistently amounted to 15%
Three things I do not like about Ebay Managed Payments: The outrageous fee amount. Tax & numbers by Ebay that do not add up & are not explained by Ebay Reps. (seller does not pay tax) . The buyer will be overcharged for shipping since there is no way to verify the shipping Ebay shipping discount when listing.
I would never overcharge for shipping with PayPal payments, a reason why it helped my sells.

In the future I will have to calculate 30%  as Ebay fees, which translates to only items I am really desperate to sell, even at a loss.

First Global Shipping, now Ebay Managed Payments, Ebay must not care if they lose Canadian Ebayers.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

marnotom!
Community Member
Why was a $39.25 shipping payment made out of your bank account when your shipping charge was $58.75 and why are you considering it a “fee”?
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I believe your calculation is faulty...do not consider the shipping charge to your buyer as profit. Did you overcharged for shipping by almost 20$? The way I see it Ebays fees add up to approx. $50.00 on a total of $333.70 (15%)

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Your item cost was 274.95

Your total fees were 50.74

100% = 274.95

x        = 50.74

So 50.74 x 100 divided by 274.95 = 18.45%

Your total fees are 18.45%

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Fees are charged on the shipping cost as well, so the OP was charged $50.74 in fees on a $333.70 sale, which works out to about 15.2% when all is said and done.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Keep in mind that it depends on what category the item falls into.

Although "normal" fees are 10.2% (and when did that 0.2% slide in there?)

fees can vary from 0% to 12.2% -- or even 14-15% if the seller has many Defects on his account.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-selling-fees?id=4122

You will have to scroll down a bit to find the fees.

OTOH, I believe Shipping FVF* is always 10% (unless it has suddenly become 10.2%)

The MP fees, just like Paypal fees, are charged on the whole transaction.

So if the customer is in the USA, his Internet (state) sales taxes are passed through the payment.

Although the seller does not touch the actual tax money, she is charged the same fee on the tax as on the rest of the payment.

And of course, we pay a slightly higher fee on US payments than the 2.9% we pay MP and PP for domestic sales.

*If the shipping costs were rolled into the asking price (AKA "free" shipping) then the shipping would be charged at the same rate as the selling price. 

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@robertqc2017 

I will look at two of the issues from your post.

On shipping:

The buyer will be overcharged for shipping since there is no way to verify the shipping Ebay shipping discount when listing. I would never overcharge for shipping with PayPal payments, a reason why it helped my sells.

I assume you refunded the extra difference through paypal.

Which you could do through MP except it gets messy when having daily payments versus weekly (weekly usually has a balance you can work with).

Now that eBay has their own shipping, they should give Sellers the choice of using that for calculated shipping or using the current over-the-counter rate.   Biggest difference would be for Tracked Packet which has big discounts from ebay/Shippo/PayPal/SnapShip compared to over-the-counter rates that calculated shipping uses.

As for your fees. eBay has the payment info scattered in too many spots.

https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/transactions -- and click on Transaction Details beside the sale to see the fee breakdown.

https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/payouts -- click on the ID number the payout to see what transactions it covers.

The example sale.

$274.95 + 58.75 shipping (I'll assume to a country that currently does not have internet sales tax collected)

Old way:

ebay FVF on 274.95 of 10%

ebay FVF on 19.95 (lower of shipping in Canada or Intl) of 10%

Plus sales tax (GST/QST) on fees for QC sellers = $33.90

PayPal fee of 3.9% on 333.70 + 0.30 = $13.31

Total of $47.21 in fees -- 14.15%

MP way:

ebay FVF on 274.95+19.95 (lowest shipping rate) of 12.35% plus GST/QST = $41.87

ebay International fee of 1% on 274.95+58.75 + GST/QST = $3.84

ebay per order fee of 30 cents + GST/QST = $0.34

MP total of $46.05 in fees -- 13.80%

Which does not match the $50.74 you calculated.

Was your sale to a country that ebay must collect the sales tax (Australia, UK, Norway, Singapore, et al)?

If so, add one more fee (3.9% for paypal, 12.35% for MP of the tax collected).

In any case you should check the fee breakdown that ebay provides, because the deposit should match the sale amount minus fees.

https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/transactions

-..-

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Click on Payments at the top of your Seller Hub page.

Then click on All Transactions in the left column 

and... Then ..... Click on Transaction  details  for  a specific transaction

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Fees are charged on the shipping cost as well, so the OP was charged $50.74 in fees on a $333.70 sale, which works out to about 15.2% when all is said and done.

Yes, but shipping is NOT part of the profit. So it shouldn't count in the final percentage.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@lady.stark  I totally agree, however as we recall from days gone by, some souls decided a great way to avoid fees was to list 1c items with $30 shipping for a $30 item.

That is why we have many of the cursed rules, they are the result of steps required to avoid folks abusing the system.

I'm not happy with them either, but it isn't eBay's "fault" we have them it is the folks who abused the system's fault..... 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Also consider that charging fees on shipping puts sellers who offer “free” shipping on equal footing with those sellers who have shipping charges.
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

So if your math is correct the seller paid about 15% fees. This is still more than the about 12% to 13%  which eBay estimated it would be.  How does the extra 2% to 3% get thrown in there all of sudden???? Can't wait to hear what their logic behind that is.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

"I totally agree, however as we recall from days gone by, some souls decided a great way to avoid fees was to list 1c items with $30 shipping for a $30 item."

That is why we have many of the cursed rules, they are the result of steps required to avoid folks abusing the system.

I'm not happy with them either, but it isn't eBay's "fault" we have them it is the folks who abused the system's fault..... "

Maybe that is why they did it??  But then again maybe not? They are now charging the full final value fee ( of about 12% or more) on either internet sales tax, VAT and GST to applicable countries.  Can't blame that on sellers. They have done nothing to warrant that change being applied.  

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Not all FVF are going to be the 10% that we tend to use as shorthand.

FVF range from 0% to 14%, based on category (sneakers over $100) and seller account status (recorded Defects).

A seller who used Free Shipping for Books will be paying higher fees than a seller who uses Calculated Shipping for books, because "free" shipping means the cost of shipping is buried in the price and Books have a 12.2% FVF.

"estimated"

tenor.gif

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

And there seems to be a 0.2% rise in FVF that has come out of the blue very recently.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-selling-fees?id=4122

I don't know how to do a screenshot, but the FVF list is well down the page.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

And there seems to be a 0.2% rise in FVF that has come out of the blue very recently.

That fee increase only applies to ebay.COM listings -- part of their spring update.

Canadian fees remain unchanged on ebay.CA

-..-

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

That's nice. I have about 50 titles I really should be listing instead of hanging around this street corner.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

Yes, but shipping is NOT part of the profit. So it shouldn't count in the final percentage.

-—---------------

But we aren't figuring out profit, we are figuring out one expense which is eBay fees.  Since the total fees are based on price and shipping the most accurate way to state fees is to take everything into account.  Otherwise if you had a $10 item with $20 shipping your fees are going to be skewed if you base all fees on the item price only.  

Also, not everyone prices their shipping cost  in the same way.  Some may charge more for shipping than the actual cost, some may charge less.....I do both depending on the item so if I didn't use the total collected to figure out fees, they wouldnt make much sense.  For example , the op charged almost $ 20 more for shipping than what they paid so figuring out the fees separately definitely skews things.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

"A seller who used Free Shipping for Books will be paying higher fees than a seller who uses Calculated Shipping for books, because "free" shipping means the cost of shipping is buried in the price and Books have a 12.2% FVF."

-—--------

The final value fees are the same on shipping and on the item so I  don't understand why you are saying that the free shipping seller would pay more.  

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I was just charged $2.41 usd in tax on a $5 sale.
I'm seriously losing on this. The eBay money really helped me get by, but I can't do it anymore at a loss.

The total sale price was just shy of $14 including shipping and they charged me more than $4 in fees and tax.

If they charge on shipping, when it's actual shipping, we always end up paying out of pocket the difference.

They can take fees from my bank account but can't give me my money that way because they say it isn't connected. 🤦‍♀️

This is depressing.
My eBay money went to contact lens solution, and everything extra that I need.
So no more of that for me. 😞

If I increase fees, no one will buy, they'll scream excess shipping and demand a refund, if they buy at all.

One guy is doing that to me now. Feedback extortion. Wants a $3 refund. So his $25 item will cost him $3 total.
Nice.

Someone needs to start a new auction site.
Message 20 of 32
latest reply