Ebay Managed Payments Going Online? HUH?

I a bit leary signing up so I left it alone.  Is this how Ebay will fully depart from Paypal?  How does this actually save money since I see other payment processors on there.  the Process looks like Paypal's

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ebay Managed Payments Going Online? HUH?

All sellers on eBay will be required to register to use Managed Payments.  If a seller does not register for Managed Payments, they will no longer be allowed to sell on eBay.

Managed Payments will be the only option eBay sellers can use to accept payments  on eBay Canada, as well as other eBay sites.

Sellers will no longer be able to use Paypal to accept payments.

With Managed Payments buyers will be able to use many payment options.  It is a long list of options, and includes Paypal.   All payments for purchases on eBay will be handled by Managed Payments. 

Right now we  have a direct association with  Paypal.  Paypal as an option for sellers to receive  payments on eBay will no longer occur.

Paypal will no longer be used by sellers to accept payments by buyers on eBay.  Managed Payments will be eBay's replacement for Paypal

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@tobey_arih wrote:

I a bit leary signing up so I left it alone.  Is this how Ebay will fully depart from Paypal?  How does this actually save money since I see other payment processors on there.  the Process looks like Paypal's

Some sellers will see a very small reduction in overall fees, most sellers will see a small increase in overall fees.

The process is somewhat similar to PayPal because let's face it, payment processing is payment processing.

The biggest difference is that eBay will see about a BILLION Dollars in high margin revenue that currently is going into PayPal's pocket.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I was caught unprepared since I just got back online.  Then this shows up.  When is the deadline to be joining the ebay Hive?

Has anyone else out there registered and what is your opinion on it?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@tobey_arih wrote:

I was caught unprepared since I just got back online.  Then this shows up.  When is the deadline to be joining the ebay Hive?

It is being phased in. Sellers will be invited to register, until you get your invite, nothing is needed to be done.

Will probably go live at the end of July for the first batch of Canadian Sellers.  And probably take until 2021 for a complete switch.

I also sell on amazon, so the ebay MP experience will be an annoyance that I'm already somewhat familiar with.

-..-

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It took me a while to figure out what I had to do....

and meet the many requirements  .... got my invite to register on May 5....

Got it figured out  will register this next week

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

what is the point of MP?  Paypal is still in pole position.  Switching over to MP doesn't appear to benefit the seller - just like that  Shipping rate table ebay dished out and vanish just as fast

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I was told Anazonda heheh sales fee is 21%?
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It doesn't benefit the seller.
It isn't meant to benefit the seller.

It doesn't do anything for the buyer either, but he can still use PP so he will probably not notice until he has a payment problem*.

As mentioned above, Managed payments benefits eBay.

For most of its existence, eBay was profitable, but did not pay out benefits to its stockholders, preferring to use its cash reserves to buy and sell other companies, including Skype, StubHub, and Paypal.

Last March, eBay moved to a dividend paying model.

Stockholders will no longer be gamblers** who buy when the stock dips a bit and sell when it rises.

Instead eBay's stockholders will be the calmer "buy and hold" pension funds and coupon clippers who will insist that eBay make lots of money and distribute it.

A profitable way of getting more fees from sales is one way of doing this.

Another is cutting back on "free listing" promotions. The current pandemic-related promotions may be the last ones we see over the next few years.

*No idea what problems may arise for a buyer.

** Full disclosure, I built my first pension at the turn of the millennium buying and selling eBay stock (among others) just that way.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@tobey_arih wrote:
I was told Anazonda heheh sales fee is 21%?

It's not that simple. 15% for most AZ categories PLUS minimum fixed fees for each item. The fixed fees are the ones that can really push the cost up for low priced items.

Fixed fees per item was one reason ebay's MP was getting complaints. MP is switching in July from 25 cents per item to 30 cents per order.  For comparison, AZ varies from $1 to $2.49 per item.

An example, $3 item, shipped in Canada:

AZ would give me 6 cents after fees, a $30 order of 10 would give me $0.60

ebay+paypal would give me $2.21, a $30 order of 10 would give me $24.80

best guess for ebay's Canada MP would be $2.28, with a $30 order leaving $25.50

-..-

Message 10 of 10
latest reply