Ebay Shipping Double Charging for Labels

Ebay Expedited Lite label payment deductions have been very delayed going through lately! And now I have problem with an order being double-charged for shipping two days later, and some weird amount of $12.48.

Seems like a strange coincidence that it's happening at the same time as the $3 off x 3 promo. Someone went in and messed with the code and now it's broken.

Has anyone ever been double-charged for shipping?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Please see my new post. This wasn't a double charge... this was a Canada Post adjustment charge.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

yoneath
Community Member

The same thing happened to me while the promo was going on as well.  I saw that I was charged an additional $5.23 for an order that had already been delivered the day before.  Today, the same thing happened.  I had already received positive feedback for the item as it had been delivered day ago.  Well under the 200g and dementional limits and still got hit with a -$5.65 on my funds.  WhenI reached out to Canada Post, the rep had no idea what I was talking about and sent me back to ebay.  Ebay credited me both the additional fees as they couldn't find a valid reason.  However, (and I'm sorry this is long winded) The Ebay rep saw that Canada Post re-evaluated the weight of my parcel as being 563 grams!  The total weight  for the parcel I sent was 160g....

So either they made a crucial mistake on their end...or they got greedy and misrepresented the weight and dementions en route to its destination.  I've been tracking my Paymentsa little closer after the first hiccup and I'm glad I did.  Keep an eye on your Expedited Lite Order Numbers and reach out to eBay if it happens. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@yoneath wrote:

The same thing happened to me while the promo was going on as well.  I saw that I was charged an additional $5.23 for an order that had already been delivered the day before.  Today, the same thing happened.  I had already received positive feedback for the item as it had been delivered day ago.  Well under the 200g and dementional limits and still got hit with a -$5.65 on my funds.  WhenI reached out to Canada Post, the rep had no idea what I was talking about and sent me back to ebay.  Ebay credited me both the additional fees as they couldn't find a valid reason.  However, (and I'm sorry this is long winded) The Ebay rep saw that Canada Post re-evaluated the weight of my parcel as being 563 grams!  The total weight  for the parcel I sent was 160g....

So either they made a crucial mistake on their end...or they got greedy and misrepresented the weight and dementions en route to its destination.  I've been tracking my Paymentsa little closer after the first hiccup and I'm glad I did.  Keep an eye on your Expedited Lite Order Numbers and reach out to eBay if it happens. 

What were the dimensions? I'm guessing the dimensional weight was probably 563 grams and for some reason the system didn't register it as a negotiated special rate.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@yoneath wrote:

What were the dimensions? I'm guessing the dimensional weight was probably 563 grams and for some reason the system didn't register it as a negotiated special rate.

@yoneath 

@teenytrinkets 

@flipistics 

devon@ebay 

It sounds like what is happening in these cases the eBay calculator in labels is not picking up dimensions when they are being entered during the label creation process. When the label prints (from the get go) it has shown 5 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm as a generic standard ~ A box that size would not be large enough to handle to/from & stamps let alone a printed CP label. For anyone metrically umm challenged 2"x2"x2"). IF the dimensions are over the limit for Expedited Lite the system should AUTOMATICALLY reject it as oversize before letting a seller create/generate the label. Same thing that happens when you put in of a weight of 2.05 grams with the hope to use USA Tracked or Small Packet Air. Limit is 2.0 KG. It automatically defaults to the known available services which would be Expedited USA & Xpresspost USA.

Example attached for expedited lite. Actual measurements entered were 21 x 15 x 2 cm(bubble envelop.) Label shows 5 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm) Also in theory it would be helpful if the label showed Expedited Lite (???) vs Expedited (Level 2)

IMG_0552.JPG

-Lotz

Sidenote: If the packages physical dimensions (weight and size) are entered in correctly when a listing is created the calculator should also be able to know if it meets or exceeds the limits for expedited lite. Strangely for as long as I can remember if you choose a service over the limit for that service you receive an error message asking you to remove. If it is under the CP limit it just hides the option to buyers. No error message. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Yeah, it's happened to me again, too. And again, Canada Post knew nothing and ebay took about an hour to refund me after I told them Canada Post wouldn't do anything. I wish they had a proper, documented procedure for expedited lite shipping disputes !
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
Yeah, it's happened to me again, too. And again, Canada Post knew nothing and ebay took about an hour to refund me after I told them Canada Post wouldn't do anything. I wish they had a proper, documented procedure for expedited lite shipping disputes !

@teenytrinkets 

@flipistics 

@yoneath 

Unsure if this has been resolved or was just fluke but in the process of creating a listing for a light weight item (150 gram but on the bulky side) Expedited light was NOT available. Decrease package size (not always possible and expedited lite magically reappears) . Will need to confirm if it is being blocked as an option on previously created listings to confirm. In the past when adding that service to listings I have only used for smaller type (non bulky) items. 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies
The volumetric weight limit (3220 cubic cm) in ebay for allowing expedited lite has always been accurate. I tested it the first time I got dinged with the $12 surcharge. I believe it even cut off below that size limit.

The two packages I've been charged a surcharge on were entered at 25x15x7cm - so very close to the limit, but still under. My theory is CP is measuring them at higher dimensions because of their auto-sizer at the depot (which can often record larger sizes because of package cube irregularities).

I think it's safer to keep packages under 2000 cubic cm. We'll see how I do when I stick to smaller boxes/poly envelopes.

Whatever the case is, it's obvious a formal, documented dispute process is required.  We've never really had a situation before where surcharges are 2-3x the original shipment paid, and are coming up a lot more frequently. And because the 5x5x5cm size is erroneously the label, it's making an already difficult dispute process essentially impossible!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies
The volumetric weight limit (3220 cubic cm) in ebay for allowing expedited lite has always been accurate. I tested it the first time I got dinged with the $12 surcharge. I believe it even cut off below that size limit.

The two packages I've been charged a surcharge on were entered at 25x15x7cm - so very close to the limit, but still under. My theory is CP is measuring them at higher dimensions because of their auto-sizer at the depot (which can often record larger sizes because of package cube irregularities).

I think it's safer to keep packages under 2000 cubic cm. We'll see how I do when I stick to smaller boxes/poly envelopes.

Whatever the case is, it's obvious a formal, documented dispute process is required.  We've never really had a situation before where surcharges are 2-3x the original shipment paid, and are coming up a lot more frequently. And because the 5x5x5cm size is erroneously the label, it's making an already difficult dispute process essentially impossible!

@teenytrinkets 

Exactly on the 5x5x5 thing. Whatever is going on when cubing kicks in it needs to display before generating a label. After the fact is too late.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 9
latest reply