Ebay allowing 5 to 10 best offers now according to US boards - depends on category

Apparently Ebay is allowing 10m offers on collectibles and 5 in other categories.  From the US boards

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Number-of-Best-Offers-changed-to-10-for-collectibles-Anybody/m-...

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Ebay allowing 5 to 10 best offers now according to US boards - depends on category

Kill me now.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

10 seems a lot, however it isn't a lot different than the person just waiting a few days to start their 3 over again.

When I've encountered repeat offerors making offers that just won't work, I simply advise them that $XX is the lowest I will go. If they come back with lower offers I simply ignore them all, that adds at least 48 hours between each of the subsequent  offers... I've only ever had to do that maybe once or twice since best offer was around....

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Excessive and unnecessary. If ebay is desperate for improved sales conversions, perhaps they should spend time addressing issues with the checkout flow and provide sellers with additional tools to sell to customers. If a buyer can't make a reasonable offer in 3 attempts they should probably employ their begging skills outside of ecommerce. I'd like to be in the boardroom meetings where these ideas are kicked about, I mean who gets paid to come up with ideas like this?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

If a seller blocks a buyer... does that also block them from making an offer....

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

In the past it has.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Probably not announced since not all of the ebay.COM help files have been updated...

https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/best-offer.html

You can make up to 3 Best Offers for most items. Expired offers, declined offers, and retracted offers all count towards the limit of 3 Best Offers.

http://pages.ebay.com/bestoffer/buyer/

If you don't receive a counter offer and the item is still available, you still have four more chances to make an offer.

http://pages.ebay.com/bestoffer/faq/

Keep in mind that you have five chances to make an offer to the seller.
When you get to your third try, we'll remind you that this will be your last opportunity to make an offer.

ebay.ca help still has three for the limit.

-..-

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

From the mods on the Ebay boards, note last portion about .ca

Hey everyone, I can confirm that the Business and Industrial category as well as the Collectibles category have had their best offer limits increased to 10. All other categories have been increased to 5 offers. We were receiving reports that members were unable to negotiate price to their satisfaction as they did not have enough responses available before being blocked in general, and particularly in the first two categories I mentioned above. This change went into effect on May 22nd. Lastly, I wanted to also include that every category on our eBay.ca site has been increased to 10 total offers, in case you are listing on our Canadian site.Cat Sad

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

This does not please me. Auto-decline, here we come.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Ten is insane. Seriously. Five? Okay, maybe. The only folks who can't get it done in three are, quite frankly, either nitwits, or nickel-and-diming to death. I can see five catering to those lackwits but ten Best Offers is ONLY going to encourage bottom-feeding. So so so unnecessary.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Nice that Ebay posts it isn't it? All their updates and non disclosed changes

Not sure if they will still have auto decline or auto accept any more as Ebay is adding it to all GTC listings from what I have read and possibly to all fixed price listings.

Maybe we have to put it on all listings so Ebay can't play with our listings.

More questions for Wednesday's chat!

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Ten is insane. Seriously. Five? Okay, maybe. The only folks who can't get it done in three are, quite frankly, either nitwits, or nickel-and-diming to death. I can see five catering to those lackwits but ten Best Offers is ONLY going to encourage bottom-feeding. So so so unnecessary.

So now buyers can make 10 BEST OFFERS.

How can they then be BEST OFFERS as BEST denotes only 1?

I also think the middle part of the info from the mods is a bunch of hewey as usual with nothing to back it up as usual

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Also, it's not ten Best Offers on all items listed on eBay.ca. I've got BO enabled on virtually all my listings; Make An Offer and tell me if you see three or ten there. I see three still.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

It is not best offer any more. I can't remember what it shows when you try to make an offer on a listing.

The changes may only be for new listings and I don't think they have updates any policies yet..

I think they should rename it lets make a deal.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Also, it's not ten Best Offers on all items listed on eBay.ca. I've got BO enabled on virtually all my listings; Make An Offer and tell me if you see three or ten there. I see three still.

Do you want me to put a low ball offer on a listing of yours to see what it shows?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Yes, have a look. Don't worry, I won't hold you to it. I still see three, not 10, despite what they've said.
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Nice that Ebay posts it isn't it? All their updates and non disclosed changes

Not sure if they will still have auto decline or auto accept any more as Ebay is adding it to all GTC listings from what I have read and possibly to all fixed price listings.

Maybe we have to put it on all listings so Ebay can't play with our listings.

More questions for Wednesday's chat!

Some posters have said that best offer was checked off as a default when starting a new listing but It could be taken off. But  I haven't heard anything about it being mandatory and doubt that eBay would take off auto decline/accept.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply