Ebay does make interest of your money in Managed Payments

Have you noticed the wording?

Payouts for eBay transactions are initiated to sellers’ bank accounts within 2 business days (Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays), unless the seller requests weekly payouts. eBay does not earn interest on pending payments, payments scheduled for payout, or payments that are in the process of being paid out.

If you ask for weekly payouts, ebay wil make money of your money. That's pretty nice deposit for holding 100 Mil or maybe more on account at 1-2% interest.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I wouldn't be so cocksure of making a statement like this.  I would investigate first, and find out what kind of account the funds are being held in.

I do believe the funds MUST be held in a trust account.  If this is true, then there will be no interest generated on the funds sitting in there.  I also know, operating as an auction, you must have a trust account, and all funds collected goes into this trust account.  I am leaning more towards this for ebay too, but, I very well could be wrong too! lol.

Maybe this is something that can be proposed and requested from ebay? idk

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Well, why they say "unless". If it was trust fund and no interest they would say just "No" without "unless".

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I'm not seeing a connection here.  I'm just reading that statement as "eBay will make a payout within two business days unless the seller has signed onto weekly payments".  How does the part about interest factor into that?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

The UNLESS is referring to the payment period ->  done daily UNLESS weekly is required.  i.e. Daily payout is the default unless you request otherwise. 

The statement on interest is in a separate sentence and the "unless" does not apply to it.  The 2nd statement is a general statement that applies to both daily and weekly payouts. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

You stated that much better than I did.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You are right , my bad ... must have been sleepy eye.  Sorry for confusing this.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

There are two sentences.

A sentence grammatically is a single thought.

When the sentence ends, a period is used to indicate that.

First sentence deals with the time between the customer paying and the time the money hits the seller's bank account.

Payouts for eBay transactions are initiated to sellers’ bank accounts within 2 business days (Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays), unless the seller requests weekly payouts.

Second sentence explains that eBay does not make any money on payments between the customer and the seller.

eBay does not earn interest on pending payments, payments scheduled for payout, or payments that are in the process of being paid out.

Two ideas. Two sentences.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I'm not so sure about your information about a trust fund not having interest generated on it.  Might depend on which type of trust fund it is. I am commenting on this because my aunt who had no children of her own had a trust fund for us, her nieces and nephews as an inheritance for us when she passed away. I know for a fact interest was generated on that trust fund.  It was on the statement for our inheritance when we received it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Here is some info from online.

Like other bank accounts or deposit accounts, an interest-bearing trust account earns interest on the funds deposited into it. ... This is a measurement of the amount of money the bank pays to the account holder over the course of an entire year. In trust accounts, the interest is generally paid to the account beneficiary.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

"Trust fund" is not the correct term.  Those are used to keep money invested for the person who will recieve the money.

I think the correct term is "escrow account".

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/escrow.asp

But I'm not a lawyer nor a financial advisor.

I thnk the "account beneficiary" is likely to be the member, whose money is being held, rather than eBay which is holding it pending verifications and clearance.

'trust fu

Message 11 of 11
latest reply