Ebay has gone downhill. I am done, after 21 years.

I have read so many of these posts, and everytime I am like "yep" but I still around.

I think I am walking away.

Tyler has been a great resource, but he is carrying the weight of the company, and is definately due some serious respect.  I am tired of having to come to this forum to get problems fixed.

So what happened?  I have been busying running other aspects of my business, but noticed my sales have gone down.  Finally had to time to sit down and take a look at the problem.....

Turns out nearly 1/3 of my listings messed up.  Random listings over the last year, have had either their title wrong, or picture wrong.  Description and price are all correct.   

So I am not excited about having to manually go through and correct over 100 listings manually.  I contact customer support, obviously something messed up in the system.  I am treated like **bleep**.  "Obviously, I made my listings wrong."  21 years off nearly full time selling, and this is what I get told.  I explain that they are random, they were correct everytime I did price adjustments, this isn't a cluster of ones I feel asleep at the keyboard on.  Some are over 1 year old, others are newer.

I finally figure out the problem.  Looks like one of the *new* bulk editing CSV's I uploaded was randomized.  

I told 'Steven'.  I figured it out and it must have been a mistake on my end, I must have missorted something in excel.  The last edit of the title, etc was the date of my last CSV update.

Happy ending, my fault!

Nope he continued to tell me, that it is impossible to edit the titles in the CSV, and I obviously went through 100 random listings and manually edited the titles one ... by... one.

I was as kind as I could be.  I asked for a ticket number.  Hoping to follow up with IT, to either confirm it was an error on my CSV upload or a problem in the system.

He closed the chat on me..... Said thank you for contacting us, blah blah blah and closed it....

I know this isn't a big issue and it is just one person, but I am tired, of Ebay making so much money off of us, always siding with the buyer, and then treating us like morons.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

according to the multitude of community threads over the years, "Ebay has gone downhill." oh for about the past 15 years or so...and while I may agree with you on that statement, and that even for myself my days are numbered here on eBay (and for a variety of reasons), but still for many of us,  eBay is still a worthwhile venue for some items...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Telephone rep? They work for a subcontractor and are not well trained, and have little authority to make changes.

Did you try the social media accounts?

Those are covered by eBay employees who are well trained and have some authority.

Plus you get a transcript so you can compare what youwere told with what you thought you were told.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.get to the Automated Assistant, type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

100 listing errors is a lot all at once, but if you make changes by closing them just before they would change then relisting with corrections as Sell Similar, you should get a bump in Search since those look like brand new listings to the algorithms.

I did this last week for all my PL listings that were at the old 1% minimum and relisted at 2% minimum, correcting some titles as I went.

I'm doing about ten a day and should have them all relisted by the end of August.

I really do feel your pain-- although my problems have been basically the 1% and the well known double listing/relisted solds glitch.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

they have made too many changes and its been exhausting as its been frustrating to deal with.  The constant never ending changes have worn me down and majorly taken the fun out of doing this.  For me it really started to hit the skids after being mandated to adopt MP.  They made more money by changing the rules, then customers start disappearing for a variety of reasons so the effect of making less hit twice as hard.  Some of the reasons are not their fault (pandemic, shipping problems, inflation, folks with less discretionary income) but the effect of the bad timing of everything together is still the same.  

What is going on appears to be independent of platform as I recently migrated a chunk of my inventory onto a genre specific platform with a much easier listing process (I can list 100 items there in the time it would take to do 15-20 here) and its been complete crickets there so far despite prices for what Ive listed there being lower than they are here.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I have always listed on other sites in addition to eBay (eBay has never been the only venue).

However, it's a struggle for sellers elsewhere as well these days, so it's a gamble and a challenge no matter what you list, no matter what the venue..

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

usefull me thank you dear😍

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I shut down at the end of April after selling for over 20 years. It just got to the point I was not making allot of money for the time it took to do it, I sell a few items on Kiiji and Market Place just to clear out what I had left.

I have to admit I miss it some times mainly for all the extra time I have right now but I'm sure that will pass after awhile. The tax things did not bother me as I had a tax number for years. Because of the high cost for mailing in Canada I could not insure every item I sold and I was starting to get more DNR.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

For all the romantic nostalgia about the early days (1995 -2005) of eBay selling, there were a lot of difficulties including being paid (those green domestic USPS money orders that could not be cashed in Canada, and Stores that were not in Search come to mind.

The pandemic years of 2020 and2021 were close to being the best days, with thousands of Free Listings, heavy online buying,and  rapid secure payments.

There were problems too, the switch to Managed Payments came at the wrong time, although MP fees are lower than PP fees now, and the introduction of Internet (state) Sales Tax now also extended to the EU, UK, Australia and Canada.

But that pandemic surge in online buying is over now that we have learned to live with the disease (wash your hands , wear a mask, get vaccinated regularly).

And that has hit every online venue.

AZ is back to losing money again. EBay sales are down (although they are still profitable and paying dividends.)

Message 8 of 8
latest reply