Ebay return policy change ..

I don't pay much attention to ebay changes much and had no clue ebay changed return policy for sellers apparently this happened a while ago .

My account still has pre made return policy for 3 , 14 day seller pays and 3 , 14 day buyer pays (4 policies )  .. I had no clue this policy changed when I was trying to change a small point and realized there is only 30 & 60 days and I can't edit my 14 day policy's at all unless I change the date to 30 days ..

Will eBay ever remove the 14 day , 3 day return policies we already created or can they not because of a previous contract depending on certain accounts creation date ??

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ebay return policy change ..

I believe the 14 day policy is still available in some categories.

I'm not sure which ones since I opted for the 30 day returns including 30 day international returns.

My reasoning is I can't refuse refunds, I can still insist on return before refund even with a No Refunds policy, and Paypal allows 180 days from payment for opening disputes.

In case of a Dispute, the real question is who will pay for the return shipping.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There are only one or two categories on ebay.ca that still allow 14-day returns. 

If you want your listings to be compliant, you'll have to switch to 30-day Returns minimum. 

I changed to 60 about six months ago and it hasn't made a lick of difference on my Return rates. I get less than one per cent and that's steady at less than one per cent regardless of whether it's 14 days or 60 days. 

One thing you won't catch me doing at any point in the foreseeable future, however, is offering 'free returns for any reason' (ie buyer's remorse) returns. Many of my items ship for free and that's an embedded cost of $15 to $20 I won't get back on a return, period, so double that? Up to $40 lost in shipping on a return? My stuff doesn't have a margin high enough to support that and I don't see the promised sell-though rate increase to be enough to weather it. 

This is an industry blog's take on the new Returns policies but it's written from an American perspective: https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2018/07/07/understanding-ebays-new-returns-policies-penalties-and-pro...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This is the ebay webinar on it: https://www.ebay.com/rpp/MSO-Webinars-MR

And here is a post I wrote about the webinar and my decision to switch to 60-day returns: https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Managing-Returns-webinar-and-60-day-FREE-Returns/m-p/394...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I agree about Free Returns being a Bad Idea.

'Renting' from sellers is not just an eBay thing (I once posted about how my sister's future MIL bought furniture from Eatons for a party, then returned it after the party-- in 1958) but there is no reason to encourage it.

If I made a mistake, fine.

I'll correct it.

But Buyer's Remorse?  The customer can spend her own time and money if she just doesn't like what she bought.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I see what you guys are saying but my question is if they will ever remove it from the accounts that have already created the policies I will watch the video posted about it .. The categories I sell in do no qualify for the 14 day return anymore which is why I can't edit them but I can still choose them and use them and I have so I never noticed the change .

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Are you listing a third-party listing tool? 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I can't tell from your listings because I see none under your account.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply