Ebay selling near done...

A vinyl lp with shipping box weighs a little under 500 grams. Untracked airmail to Internatonal buyers is now $31.74. Some lps are heavier (501 grams or more) and cost for untracked shipping rises to $58.56. To the USA, the cost for tracked shipping une 500 g is $25.64 and $27.31 for heavier lps.

For me, the vinyl  lp market is mainly the Far East. The questions from potential buyers about shipping costs, with no sales following, far outnumbers the actual sales. The end is drawing near...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Looking at my listings, I see errors in listings of my shipping costs. I will correct them and see what happens. Whatever, my point about high costs remains.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Have you thought about using Tracked Packet? If you print your label online you can send a 500gr to the US using tracked packet USA for $17.46. A 1kg package sent with tracked packet is $25.  It's still expensive but a little more reasonable than Expedited.

Sending international is definitely becoming less affordable and shipping within Canada is very expensive too unless you can use lettermail.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Your US shipping costs seem to be the same as the international ones.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Tracked packet through snapship also has the best discount right now, when you have a small biz card number.

But I know what you mean, as shipping gets higher, the potential items to be realistically sold shrinks. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

The least expensive shipping option for shipping a 500 gram package from the US to Canada is US$22.10, or about C$30 at current exchange rates.

If your buyers want it, they will buy.  I recently spent about C$29 including shipping on a four-track CD EP.  The shipping cost was just shy of half of that.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

And in spite of those high charges, Canada Post lost money last year.

As a Crown Corporation, they are required to turn their profits over to the Treasury, and most years they are able to do that.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

For more years than I can remember, I have used Small Packet/Tracked Packet for shipping vinyl LP records to the USA(I no longer ship outside of North America>that went by the wayside many years ago)...The shipping costs within Canada have become astronomical because of the fuel surcharges and the inability to use flat rate boxes(no appropriate size). I must admit, I have not sold any vinyl for many months now...The last LP record I sold within Canada had shipping costs of $19.36 for expedited parcel from SK.to ON...and the last LP record  I shipped to the USA was about 15 months ago...I do still offer the vinyl LP records on my other selling site as well as from time to time here on eBay.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Sign up for Canada Post's Small Business program on their website. Simply go to canadapost.ca and click the 'Login or Register' button in the top right corner.

Depending on what savings level you are at, they offer very significant discounts on Tracked Packet USA and Tracked Packet International compared to what you would pay a the counter.

I shipped a box set to an EU country that weighed 400 grams. The original label price was $53.54. With the Small Business discount it was $34.11. 

Also, look into Stallion and Chit Chats. 

I agree with you that the rising input costs make it very difficult to sell. If you rely on international sales, you will almost certainly be priced out eventually with how things are trending. With that said, there are still options to lower your input costs on international shipping. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I used to routinely sell LPs and vintage shoes to Japanese buyers. I’ve stopped offering overseas shipping. Canada Post has destroyed that market for me. Just decimated it. But it’s beyond overseas—I’m paying $25 to have vinyl records shipped to me within Canada. We are at or very, very close to the point where some items will not sell due to shipping costs. Obviously there are exceptions, but if you want a certain $25 Bob Dylan album rather than some $1000 rarity, are you really willing to pay $25 plus $30 shipping? I’m not.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I just shipped a record to a US customer for $10.47 via chitchats.  360 gram package.  Chitchats prices are cheaper the closer you are and their state is close to my province geographically so ymmv.  

PS Canada Post didnt destroy most international markets for us, a number of factors beyond anyone's control conspired to do that.  As many mistakes as CP has made these last few years, this one is not on them.  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply