Ebay to help with Item Not Received

@happy_pigeon

Ebay Canada staff indicated that protection would be in place for Item Not Received claims.

Ebay must SUSPEND the opening of the claims process for INR until the strike is over and the the backlog at Canada Post is cleared:

- for all buyers with delivery address in Canada PLUS,

- for all international buyers of items sent from Canada. 

This needs to happen now, today.  

Instead of the INR process, the buyer must be informed of the likely reason for INR with information about the strike and be asked to contact the seller for more information, if needed.

These INR claims could be made later after the strike has ended and the backlog is cleared at Canada Post, most will not be necessary since they will be received late but at no fault of the sender.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I am not sure I trust eBay to handle INR claims. When they asked us to continue with business as usual they said they would cover our butts but how are they going to handle it. I really can’t see them expecting buyers to wait 30 days to see if items show up. So are they going to expect sellers to reimburse then hope the buyers will pay when items finally show up? They really did not clarify how they were going to cover us. I think I am just going to close up shop till further notice. My sales have been dismal anyway but wouldn’t you know it sold 2 items today. I contacted both buyers & they were very understanding. I shipped one with tracking today (I sell lower priced items & don’t  usually use tracking as it is too expensive). Getting too stressful worrying about INR & not sure how eBay is going to deal with them. Easier to close although it ticks me I am still going to have store fees & no income to offset. Would be nice if eBay were to help us out with that but I am not holding my breath. Reps from eBay are now telling people to end their listings (see other threads) although no official announcement has been made that I am aware of.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I seen eBay make a post here a while ago saying they will protect INR claims even for lettermail ones without tracking. I just haven't had any yet myself to know exactly but I'm expecting them soon.

The part I'm more worried about is PayPal. I don't usually file INR claims through eBay because you only have very limited time to file it and I tend wait longer when I purchase lots of times. Especially if I'm purchasing from China. So I just go to PayPal directly for them now and I feel lots of other buyers are going to do the same. We need PayPal to step up in this situation more then eBay.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@electronicifycanada wrote:

The part I'm more worried about is PayPal. I don't usually file INR claims through eBay because you only have very limited time to file it and I tend wait longer when I purchase lots of times. Especially if I'm purchasing from China. So I just go to PayPal directly for them now and I feel lots of other buyers are going to do the same. We need PayPal to step up in this situation more then eBay.

Your assessment is spot on. If your buyer pays via paypal, whatever protections ebay offers mean virtually nothing. If you did end up with an INR via paypal it would be something you'd want to review over a phone call with a rep to see if they'll give a window, but in general without tracking you are hosed.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Yep...paypal INR will automatically generate a refund to the buyer if delivery isn't confirmed within the timeframe indicated on the sale / a reasonable amount of time.

So the packages I sent internationally 21 days ago that still haven't arrived? I'd say I have about another week before my buyer in the UK is done waiting...
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

The PayPal concern is valid.

I’m on hold to speak to a rep about another matter and it’s 44 minutes and counting without an answer.

45 minutes.

That’s how much PayPal cares.

eBay answer to this? They will simply say, yes, that’s another reason we need to ditch PayPal for managed payments of our own. We’ve got your back.
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I totally agree with you as Ebay Canada is not protecting sellers.  I sold an item via letter mail as it would cost more than the item is worth via tracked pack.  Customer did not care about a strike and wanted a refund.  Ebay refunded him even though I asked for him to wait 1 more week.  Because, he escalated it to a claim  I got dinged as I was not the one who settled on refunding him.  I call up Ebay.  The rep does not know anything about a CDN postal strike.  Was told that there is no Canadian 1-800 the USA now handles both.  My problem he told me was that I did not use tracking showing proof of shipment.  I told him I understood why Ebay refunded the customer who would not wait.  But why am I getting a strike on my performance.  It actually turned out to be two strikes.  One for not settling and Ebay having to step in and the other for non shipping.  I told him that I thought Canada Ebay was going to protect sellers who continued to sell through this strike.  He told me he knew of no such protection and was only focused on the fact that I did not have tracking.  I have been selling on Ebay since 1997 very disappointed with the way I was treated.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I think you need to tell that straight to the eBay Canada staff that visit the boards.

I can’t tag people from my mobile device so unless you or another member do it sooner, I’ll return to the thread and add tags tomorrow morning.

Your situation is exactly what eBay Canada promises to help its sellers avoid; I suspect you got an untrained Customer Service Rep so that too would need to be addressed.
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I sent an international package from YVR to UK worth $55 and it cost $20 to ship (on Nov 2nd). Untracked. Obviously, I'm not jumping for joy to offer a refund, but my buyer agreed to wait until Friday the 23rd (3 weeks).

I was going to offer refunding the shipping cost to my buyer if she'd agree to wait for 2-3 more weeks. Do you think that's pointless to suggest? I want to work with the buyer, and not make her mad so she files an INR.

Any other suggestions?
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

It sounds as if this "protection" requires significant effort on the part of a seller. What if you are a Power Seller and had say oh, 100 sales and 50% of them opened cases? 

Seems fishy.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Was it Airmail or Surface Packet? Check.

Yes, offer the partial refund now. It shows you’re not unreasonable about it and it shows the receiver isn’t either. This is what I used to do when I shipped untracked and something was late: offer refund of postage and a ‘please wait two weeks’. Now I ship Tracked Packet and sleep better at night. (When Canada Post isn’t on strike.)

Unless eBay will give you different advice when staff is tagged.
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@happy_pigeon and tyler@ebay

This ebay Canada user is having difficulty evoking the Seller Protection that ebay Canada assured us was available during the labour dispute, can you please look into it? We would all feel better about things if you could; the ebay Customer Service Rep who handled their dispute apparently had no idea what they were talking about when they used the terms 'Canada' and 'postal strikes'. 

(That is seller photseeum but teenytrinkets is also presently having problems with INRs that would presumably be a direct result of the postal dispute.)

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Also, with selling perfumes online... due to the alcohol content they are technically deemed flammable liquids and require special handling and/or permits. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp and 

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGabcmail-e.asp

If you shipped the perfume you sold around the time you identified earlier via Canada Post internationally, the postal strike may not be the cause of your present difficulty, I am sorry to say.

I once had very hard-to-find nail polish that I could only get from a seller in Poland seized on import and, as a hobby artist, fellow Canadian fans of alcohol-based markers experience difficulty if their art alcohol-based markers are specifically labelled as that. It's not as if they burst into flame from using them, either. They're just really nice markers.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

@happy_pigeon and tyler@ebay

This ebay Canada user is having difficulty evoking the Seller Protection that ebay Canada assured us was available during the labour dispute, can you please look into it? We would all feel better about things if you could; the ebay Customer Service Rep who handled their dispute apparently had no idea what they were talking about when they used the terms 'Canada' and 'postal strikes'. 

(That is seller photseeum but teenytrinkets is also presently having problems with INRs that would presumably be a direct result of the postal dispute.)

Unfortunately, I'm not equipped to look into member accounts. Tyler may be able to help with this.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Yeah you take your chances with the alcohol - based items. But I'm curious: if you sell something alcohol - based, and it's seized and never arrives, and you send tracked, do you have a leg to stand on if you file a lost package claim with Canada Post? Often, details about the contents need to be more specific than "cosmetics" or "art supplies", when it comes to a claim, don't they?

I send almost everything (outside Canada) untracked so I've never filed a claim for a missing package before!
Message 15 of 26
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I'm waiting for 22 items, purchased from 3 sellers, to be delivered.

They are all a week past eBay's estimated delivery date.

I haven't contacted the sellers, as I'm assuming it's pointless and beyond their control.

In all fairness, I'm going to wait another couple of weeks.

eBay does need to address the INR issue asap.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @momcqueen! I addressed this a moment ago in the other thread on this. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@ight.coin wrote:

@happy_pigeon

Ebay Canada staff indicated that protection would be in place for Item Not Received claims.

Ebay must SUSPEND the opening of the claims process for INR until the strike is over and the the backlog at Canada Post is cleared:

- for all buyers with delivery address in Canada PLUS,

- for all international buyers of items sent from Canada. 

This needs to happen now, today.  

Instead of the INR process, the buyer must be informed of the likely reason for INR with information about the strike and be asked to contact the seller for more information, if needed.

These INR claims could be made later after the strike has ended and the backlog is cleared at Canada Post, most will not be necessary since they will be received late but at no fault of the sender.

Hi @ight.coin - I appreciate your passion on this, and have made sure that your sentiments are shared. 

This isn't a change that is planned. The automatic protections (removal of defects) and extensions on escalated INR requests is the current plan to protect your seller performance record and reputation. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Re: Canada Post strike & backlog.  I have accumulated several 'INR' claims in resolution center, several late delivery reports in my seller dashboard plus one negative feedback left for non delivery one day past delivery window. Why is this not being removed/How do I get it removed?

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

You need to call eBay customer service, they should be able to remove it. 

As far as INR claims go, it seems hit and miss as far as extensions, so always best to call eBay and have them do it while on the phone.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply