Expedited or Xpress Post to USA??

Wondering if any one had any experience with either of these postal services. I am supposed to be making a sale to the US tomorrow & I am pretty sure they are going to want it for Xmas. As it is heavier these are the only 2 options available currently. I live in Manitoba so am not sure where it goes across to the US. I noted on one thread that expedited in Canada was not too fast these days (still the same price though!). Wondering about US. Would be going to NY.

On another note I mailed a parcel in the US on Sat. Going from ND to PA with tracking (weighed less than 100 grams) - cost 3.50 & will be there in 4 days. No wonder we can never complete with the US sellers. Would have cost over $13 in Canada for same service & not as fast. Yes I do know USPS is loosing money but wow that is cheap compared to our domestic shipping.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

For my 2 cents. If your sale was going to the west coast of USA it should go via Richmond and then to LAX and then on. For comparison, my expedited from Calgary is consistently in Richmond the next day with no problems(Maybe 2 days with the kerfuffle). Very seldom have Xpresspost requested. Because yours would most likely go by way of Mississauga I would recommend Xpresspost(Flown) vs Expedited(Ground) if you are nervous about it being delivered in time.  Once packages arrive in USA they usually move relatively quickly. Basing this on my past experiences from Calgary(Have yet to see a package show tracking go East for USA). Not sure if anyone Manitoba and East has observed different tracking results. Hope that gives you some help and your customer is open to the Xpresspost option?

-CM

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Are you in or near to Winnipeg like me? If so, check out RunninRed, they’re a freight-forwarder and they’ll take your package directly into the USA for delivery via USPS.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I'm with @momcqueen on this.

If you can use a forwarding service, go that way.

The Vancouver /Richmond terminal has been picketed in recent days and things are slow from there, although tracked mail of any sort seems to be getting faster service.

More generally, I don't understand why it is the seller's responsibility when someone starts buying BY MAIL ORDER in December for Christmas delivery.

My reaction, as a grouchy old lady, is "not gonna happen" and ask if they want to cancel.

Some sales are not worth having.

lack of planning.jpg

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Any Canada Post shipments going eastward from the prairies is in for an undetermined amount of delay when it reaches Ontario. Any Canada Post shipments from the east to western Canada is also similarly affected. Even UPS coming out of Ontario is now experiencing delays due to increased volume levels and weather related issues.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the thought. Wish I was closer as I would definitely use this but am 3 hours from Winnipeg.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

What I am not sure about is where Manitoba's parcels go to cross the border? Does anyone know?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Through Canada Post they go spoke-and-Hub to Mississauga or Richmond in some cases.

If you’re using a parcel pickup service or freight forwarder, your parcel is crossing at whatever border crossing they drive through. Emerson? Same as you and me but a different lane for not-passenger vehicles.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply