Explain Ebay Seller Shipping Fees - Part 2

Part 1, is here, from 2017. https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Explain-Ebay-Seller-Shipping-Fees/td-p/372910

I've recently (last few days) struck up a conversation with another ebay seller. It started with me submitting an offer on an item he's selling, and we got into ebay fees and shipping charges.

On the surface, you get the impression that if you sell an item, the fees on the sale are 13.25%.

Technically this is true, except for the fact that those fees, are also charged on the shipping cost.

They started this many years ago (I've been here over 23 years) when the commission only applied to the item, and sneaky sellers tried to get around fees by listing items at impossibly low prices, with horrendous shipping fees. Eg: Listing an item worth $100 that would cost $10 to ship, for $10, with $100 shipping.

Back then, ebays knee-jerk reaction was to include the shipping charges in the FVF. However, when they did this, they lowered their fees a bit to compensate for "normal" shipping fees.

Fast forward to late 2023, and after a long chat with a seller on ebay, we realized that the amount eBay takes in fees can amount to a lot more than 13.25% of the item. And it's much worse for selling internationally.

Example:

• He's selling an item I want, for $36.99 US.
  • Shipping cost to me in Canada: $28.14 US.
  • Shipping cost to most of US: $9.35 US.

• So, ship to Canada: $36.99 + $28.14 = $65.13. Ebay fee at 13.25% = $8.63.
  • Ship to US: $36.99 + $9.35 = $46.34. Ebay fee at 13.25% = $6.14.

Ebay's FVF when shipping to Canada: 23.3%
Ebay's FVF when shipping within US: 16.6%

This seller would lose $2.49 selling the item to me, versus selling to an American address.

Since the price of the item is 36.99, he loses 6.73% of the price of the item, selling to Canada.

The lower the selling price of the item, the worse this gets. Especially if the item is heavy.

Ridiculous example to prove point: You list a very heavy item - say a large shop vice - that's going to cost $100 to ship. (Regardless of country.)

Your shop vice doesn't get much interest and sells for only $10.00.
Buyer sends you $110.00, $10 for the item and $100 for the shipping.
Ebay takes a commission of $13.25 on the $100 shipping, and $1.35 on the $10 item, total: $14.60.

Ebay sends you a BILL for $4.60. You just paid $4.60 for ebay to take that item off your hands.
(Fees are over 100% of the item price.)

Now I see why many US sellers won't ship to Canada or Internationally.

Canadian sellers have the same problem. Shipping to the US can be double or more shipping within Canada.

Keep in mind, at the end of the day, the end result is idential. The buyer gets their parcel at the door.

But the seller - who gets no benefit whatsoever from the higher shipping charges - gets hit with substantial extra FVF's if they ship out of their own country.

I don't think this is right or ethical to be honest. Ebay is pretty much a monopoly at this so it's pretty much "Their way or the highway." Don't let anyone fool you suggesting Amazon or Walmart, or Etsy, Facebook Marketplace, etc. are "competition". They're not.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I might be mistaken (I don't have time to look it up right now), but aren't the fees for international sales calculated on the lesser of the domestic shipping cost and the international shipping cost?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Right, that's another benefit of "free shipping" domestically, there aren't any fees on non-domestic shipping costs. Part of the reason I've been a part of the free shipping crowd since "always".

Just because what one believes isn't always the case anymore, I went and checked a recently sold item that went to Australia, had extra shipping charges and is free shipping domestically.

The listing fees were based on the item (plus their GST), the additional international shipping cost was NOT included in the fee calculation.

The promoted fees were based on the item (plus their GST), the additional international shipping cost was not included in the fee calculation.

So it is correct that the fees are based on the domestic shipping price.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You're not mistaken.

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees. If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer. If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the service the buyer chooses.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822&st=3&pos=1&query=Selling...

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

and that my friend is why any sensible knowledgable seller would sell that vice locally on such sites as FB Marketplace, where the true genuine interest in that vice may be more than one thinks/anticipates or realizes.

As a seller on FB Marketplace for all things that don't/aren't a good fit for eBay or other online global marketplaces, I can attest to the success of selling on local marketplaces...

there is life beyond eBay....

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

That includes the US?  That is interesting. I have a good quantity of small light items and if I understand this correctly, if listing on .ca I have free shipping to Canada and $10 to US, the fee calculation on a US sale will exclude the shipping amount. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@byto253 Yes if you list on .CA and domestic shipping to .CA is free then whatever shipping you charge to US or international does NOT attract selling nor standard promoted listing fees.

If you've recently made a sale, you can see this if you check the payments information....

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I mainly list on .com and only sell to the US and Canada, and most items have similar shipping charges to the US and Canada so it would not work to well.   But for smaller items, it is something I need to take a good look at.   

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

This is one of the primary reasons I began selling on both .COM and .CA a few years ago.  I used to sell only on .COM but the disparity of shipping costs between US and Canada meant Canadians were paying much more than they needed to for "free shipping" stuff, especially for material that was more likley to sell to Canadians.

So virtually everything on .COM is free shipping to the US and to Canada, everything on .CA is free shipping to Canada and costs $$ for US and international.

I have a number of product lines that have two "sizes" one for  .COM and one for .CA, I'm still surprised how many times US folks are buying the 1,000 sized .CA version with $9 additional shipping when the US 2,000 sized version on .COM with free shipping is much more economical to them.... the "versas" versions happen as well, but much more rarely.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I can see with mainly stamps and light paper items free shipping for everything would work.   For my items, it is a mixed bag so just another tool in the quiver. 

Often enough I have had items sit that have free shipping, but when I "reduce the price" and charge shipping it sells.   I figure that in their minds it is easier to say I got this for $45 and ignore the shipping price, but if it was $55 they are not sure what the shipping break out is and figure it was a few bucks so don't get the satisfied feeling of getting a good price.   

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I've mentioned this in other threads but I sell mostly bulk groups of stamps, right up to bankers boxes full, all free shipping.

.COM example https://www.ebay.com/itm/384704759833  

.CA example https://www.ebay.ca/itm/204351296120 

IMO the favour one gets from the search engine for being free shipping is greater than the "loss" due to folks thinking the price without shipping is better, but as we all know who knows what really does/n't work anymore with the search algorithm!

PS Your reasoning about why it might be better to separate out shipping, makes sense to me too.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

As always "It Depends" 😁

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING FEES
"If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer. If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the service the buyer chooses."

Message 13 of 13
latest reply