FEEDBACK EXTORTION QUESTION

Hello All. 

As it sometimes happens you get a customer than simply isnt reasonable, as in this case. I sold an item to a customer that had a couple of pcs missing. It was an error on my part, I admitted it. I offered to send the missing pcs, or I would pay for the item to be returned and then send a replacement with the missing pcs.

The buyer wanted me to send a replacement first then return the item. Well we all know not to do that. So then the buyer says" well just send the missing parts". I agreed. While I was preparing to resolve the issue, the buyer gives me a negative feedback, stating , not as described and I wouldnt do anything to fix the problem. Obviously I got a little excited and emailed the buyer asking what the h3ll was this about. That this was unfair as I am doing everything I can do to help you. I also stated that due to the statement of not doing anything, I will not make you a liar and wont send you the pcs. The buyer then stated that the feedback will remain till the pcs are sent or a replacement is sent . 

Is this feedback extortion?

I would also ask if you know how to contact Ebay about Feed back Extortion, because it seems they have changed things around

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Normally I am very professional about these things. The great thing about selling on line is if emotions set in, you get to rant and rave and get it out of your system before having to respond online, but this buyer really got me. All was fine . I mean all her Emails were a bit rude( who my kidding really rude) but I still answered in a calm professional manner, but after bending over backwards to make this right( including an admission of this being my fault) I get a negative. Then tells me if I would have sent the right item in the first place, all would have been avoided. Obviously I have met someone that never makes mistakes.

If she was at least smart she should have waited to get  the missing parts before leaving a neg feedback. Very arrogant thinking .Then she is surprised I got a little upset.

Oh well Cant win them all. I will definitely let you know the out come. Sorry if I sound like I am ranting.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Just wondering:  What was the value of the item?  How much did shipping cost?

Not judging as most of us would be "bleeped" off if we received NFB while trying to make things right.

However, from what you've reported I can't see a case for FB removal.

It sounds like the FB was left after you offered to send the parts.   

The conditions were placed only after you retaliated by saying you weren't going to send the parts as you promised.

That said:  eBay has been removing NFB more readily than ever before.

I once had a buyer leave NFB fully intending to revise is once she was satisfied.

It was removed, but that buyer clearly stated that this was her intention.

No room for doubt.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Incidentally, I thought I'd check the FB extortion policy wording.  Based on this, I think some of the earlier posters were wrong in saying this is not a form of extortion. 

Although normally the extortion happens before FB is left, using FB as a tool to extract something from a seller that is against eBay policy might also be seen as FB extortion (see the bold text below).  I'd think you have a pretty good case, if not for FB extortion, then FB revision extortion, or just plain "eBay unwanted" behaviour on the part of the buyer:

"Feedback extortion is when a buyer threatens to leave negative Feedback unless you provide goods and services that weren't part of the original transaction.

Examples include:

• Demanding a full refund without returning the original item
  • Demanding a second item without returning the first one
  • Demanding extra items that weren't part of the original listing
  • Other situations covered in our Feedback extortion policy

If this happens to you, report it to us.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply