Feeling desperate AND cheap: any listing promos on the radar for the month?

By this time of the month, there is often a hint of some kind of 'free' listing promotion. I've hit my BIN limit of those included with my store subscription and I'm staring at 300+ unsold. Should I hold out re-listing them in the hopes of a promo? Or bite the bullet and spend the required ten cents each to get them out there? 

Or... was there a party that I simply wasn't invited to? 

Inquiring minds want to know. 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I've also been waiting for promotions. I usually receive at least 1 sometimes 2 a month. I just completed a survey recently & mentioned this concern. Without the promotions I cannot sell with any profit.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Ebay being cheap so we will have to wait another month

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

At least it's a 'short' month....

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I usually just bite the bullet and relist as the GP $ from potential lost sales is greater than the relisting cost. It would be nice if there was something in-between a premium and an anchor store. 500 listings really isn't that much for a small businesses and the anchor store costs are excessive for a small business.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

My thoughts exactly. Five hundred BIN per month is too few but 2500 is too many. The auctions allotment is useless to me unless I'm struck with the urge to reduce inventory with give-aways.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I have the impression that the promotions are set to show more listings around the time of the quarterly reports to make the stock punters feel happy.

Next quarter is late March, so my totally uninformed guess is mid-March.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I have the impression that the promotions are set to show more listings around the time of the quarterly reports to make the stock punters feel happy.

Next quarter is late March, so my totally uninformed guess is mid-March.

Possibly one reason for free listings at that time. But the pattern of free listings has been 2 a month roughly since they began, sometimes more. Being invited to the free listings promos is another matter.

If no free listings this month for anyone, that would be the first time I never remember not having a free promo.

Technically I did get a promo this month to pay 50% FVF on five listings this month in my eBay messages good from Feb 17 to Feb 27. So I did receive a free promo this month...

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I didn't get the promo poco mentioned above but hey, I was just raging about my INRs lately (two refunds made last week and still haven't heard back from buyers if they received their book yet) and with final exams and papers coming up in March, it'd be a good opportunity for me to take a bit of a selling break until the next promo comes up... if not I guess I'll have to stick to the free monthly 50s and just rotate my listings around Smiley Indifferent Turbolister didn't really work for me so I hope they will have another promo within 60 days just so that my listings don't disappear...

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

I didn't get the promo poco mentioned above but hey, I was just raging about my INRs lately (two refunds made last week and still haven't heard back from buyers if they received their book yet) and with final exams and papers coming up in March, it'd be a good opportunity for me to take a bit of a selling break until the next promo comes up... if not I guess I'll have to stick to the free monthly 50s and just rotate my listings around Smiley Indifferent Turbolister didn't really work for me so I hope they will have another promo within 60 days just so that my listings don't disappear...

Subscribe to eBay Selling Manager basic free version (not pro at 15.99) and see 90 days instead of 60 days. Completed listings like Sold and UnSold are kept on eBay for 90 days but for some eBay design reason My eBay only sees 60 days.

Selling Manager replaces your Selling in My eBay and is slightly different than My eBay and some sellers do not like the difference. So you will need to learn Selling Manager from My eBay Selling. I see little difference but I have been using Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro for the past 7 years.

Another alternative is go view your invoice from 90 days ago and get the item numbers there. Tedious but works.

If you do not have many to list, you can also schedule the listings 3 weeks in advance and keep changing the start time every 2 weeks to be later to "hold" the listings in the schedule queue.

If you have Selling Manager, you can have thousands of drafts too. They are kept for 30 days and you just need to change them (listing duration, something) at the end of the 30 days to keep them for another 30 days. However, I have heard sellers losing all drafts after 30 days. I do not know if this works reliably.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I have been hoping for one also. I usually get invited to at least one per month if not two. Haven't quite used all my listings yet either but am sitting also with around 300 unsold. Am holding my free store ones for some new items I have to list. Have not made many sales this month & notice that I seem to do better if I have 600 plus items listed.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

You probably are already aware but just in case you don't know, you get the same amount of free listings on com. Since you list mostly in $U.S. now, it wouldn't be too difficult to list there although it would involve some extra work to start with.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I'll give selling manager free a try later. Thanks for the suggestion poco 😃

I know there is free 50 on US site too but it seems to be too much work to move listings from .CA to .COM......
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Sometimes the new promos seem to come once all the listings from the previous promo have expired, and today the 30-day listings from the last day of the last promo expire, so there may be hope for a new promo this week. It's been a while since we've gone a whole month without one.

I don't think it's cheap or desperate to be impatient for the next one! I know my selling would not be affordable or profitable without them, and eBay profits from the final value fees.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:
I'll give selling manager free a try later. Thanks for the suggestion poco 😃

I know there is free 50 on US site too but it seems to be too much work to move listings from .CA to .COM......

Okay, I'll bite, how do you move listings from .ca to .com?

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

You have to log into ebay.com and recreate the listing from scratch. Everything. It doesn't allow you to 'Sell Similar' across the dotca to dotcom platform. 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Open a text/word document.

Go to your original listing.

Go to Revise.

Scroll down to the description.

Change to HTML.

Cut and past the description with coding to the text document.

Go to your new listing on the alternate site.

Cut and paste the description from the text document to the new listing.

Now you don't have to re-create everything in the description, which I find to be the hardest part.

But you do have to recreate the rest (title , currency, shipping, item specifics, etc. )

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

For me, it's not the Item Description but finding and reloading all the pictures to go with it. Plus shipping set-up.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

The Item Specifics too are simple to cut-and-paste.

I use calculated shipping on eBay.ca so to go flat-rate on eBay.com makes me twitchy with potential inaccuracies.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Yes, finding the photos again and reuploading them is too much work. Moving the listings is almost as much work as starting from scratch...
Message 20 of 23
latest reply