Final value invoice in CAD when selling one ebay.COM

llkaly
Community Member

Hi

I am selling on ebay.com

The payment the buyers make are in USD.

Why does ebay send me an invoice for their final value in CAD? I'm loosing about 2% at every conversion because of paypal's horrible exchange rate. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Final value invoice in CAD when selling one ebay.COM

Why don't you set up things up to pay your ebay.CA fees with a Canadian$ credit card instead of  a paypal US$ balance?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Since you're in Canada you will automatically be billed in Canadian dollars unless you change your billing currency to US$.   I think that you can only change it once a year.  You may be able to do that through the link on this page...

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/sell/billing-currency.html

I do recall that some people mentioned that they were not able to change their billing currency online and they had to phone ebay to do it so  I don't know how well that link is working right now. 

I see that page is really old so ignore the last paragraph about powersellers.  It can be confusing when you first change as you will actually have 2 bills at first until all of your listings were done after the billing currency change.  Its been years since I changed so I don't remember all of the details.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

If you are doing a lot of business in USD (not just eBay, any other income streams too), you should consider having a US bank account.

NOT A BANK ACCOUNT IN US DOLLARS!

This would be an account with a US bank in US dollars.

At this time of year, your local Royal or TDCanada Trust may be   advertising these for snowbirds.

Both own US banks, RBCBank and TDNorth.

You may find they are more expensive than your current situation, because their fees are fairly high.  But if you do 'enough' business in USD or if you are a snowbird yourself, you might find it helpful. Enough would be in the $250,000 USD annually range.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply